Classical Music Forum banner

What opera CD/DVD have you purchased recently?

410K views 3K replies 201 participants last post by  Eramire156 
#1 ·
i just ordered the Kubelik Meistersinger.
cant wait to hear it?:)

• Love
Reactions: SixFootScowl
#1,769 · (Edited)
Yesterday was released, and I have immediatly bought the download of "Bianca e Gernando" of Bellini (Naxos 8660417-18) with Silvia Dalla Benetta (soprano, Bianca), Maxim Mironov (tenor, Gernando), Vittorio Prato (baritone, Filippo), Luca Dall’ Amico (bass, Carlo), Virtuosi Brunensis & Camerata Bach Choir, Poznań, Antonino Fogliani

It is (as far as I know) the first recording of this opera (Napoli, Teatro di San Carlo, 30 May 1826) in its first edition. This opera was later revisited by Bellini, who for example added the wonderfull Tenor aria "All'udir del padre afflitto" (lissen it sung by Florez) and known as "Bianca e Fernando" and registered a few times

I was very curious of the Tenor, Maxim Mironov, who has a pleasant clear limpid voice

#1,770 ·
Yesterday was released, and I have immediatly bought the download of "Bianca e Gernando" of Bellini (Naxos 8660417-18) with Silvia Dalla Benetta (soprano, Bianca), Maxim Mironov (tenor, Gernando), Vittorio Prato (baritone, Filippo), Luca Dall' Amico (bass, Carlo), Virtuosi Brunensis & Camerata Bach Choir, Poznań, Antonino Fogliani

It is (as far as I know) the first recording of this opera (Napoli, Teatro di San Carlo, 30 May 1826) in its first edition. This opera was later revisited by Bellini, who for example added the wonderfull Tenor aria "All'udir del padre afflitto" (lissen it sung by Florez) and known as "Bianca e Fernando" and registered a few times

I was very curious of the Tenor, Maxim Mironov, who has a pleasant clear limpid voice
Us mortals have to wait until August 8th. :(

#1,771 · (Edited)
Two years ago I got this and against the advice of Pugg, got the Te Kanawa set. Pugg, of course, recommended Fleming. Well I see several Fleming DVD productions but like then, price deterred me. The Te Kanawa was $10 shipped, but then I found this Fleming set for $10 shipped and so went for it. I did not like the opera that much but will give it another try with Fleming, whom I have more or less ignored in the past but now am discovering that she is a fine soprano with a unique voice, well worth exploring further.

It is a binge.
My first discovery of Fleming and I am digging in:

I also do have a couple sets with Fleming that I will be revisiting today: Elijah, and Handel Alcina.

#1,772 ·
Two years ago I got this and against the advice of Pugg, got the Te Kanawa set. Pugg, of course, recommended Fleming. Well I see several Fleming DVD productions but like then, price deterred me. The Te Kanawa was $10 shipped, but then I found this Fleming set for $10 shipped and so went for it. I did not like the opera that much but will give it another try with Fleming, whom I have more or less ignored in the past but now am discovering that she is a fine soprano with a unique voice, well worth exploring further.

It is a binge.
My first discovery of Fleming and I am digging in:

I also do have a couple sets with Fleming that I will be revisiting today: Elijah, and Handel Alcina.

Next on your list should be: The Beautiful voice, Great Opera Scenes and the Armida DVD.:cheers:

#1,781 ·
The new Naxos recording of Rossini's Sigismondo. A wealth of melody for several operas, and leave it to Rossini! The opera was a total failure and he did mine it for future operas, not to mention that he used some ideas from past operas as well! Of course things are in a different guise, but it's a total delight to meet all those old friends in a different light!

Outerwear Human body Thigh Font Entertainment

Reactions: Pugg
#1,783 ·
The new Naxos recording of Rossini's Sigismondo. A wealth of melody for several operas, and leave it to Rossini! The opera was a total failure and he did mine it for future operas, not to mention that he used some ideas from past operas as well! Of course things are in a different guise, but it's a total delight to meet all those old friends in a different light!

View attachment 96402
And very reasonable voices also.

#1,786 · (Edited)
A Life For The Tsar (a.k.a., Ivan Susanin), but this one apparently is censored:

This recording was made in Bulgaria in the early days of perestroika, before the rehabilitation of the original text. (Here, following Stalin's 1939 initiative, every major reference to 'tsar' is replaced by 'Russian land', 'honour' or 'people'.
Nonetheless, musically I won't notice the difference, and for $6 shipped used VG, can't resist. The Tchakarov set is probably the best but far more costly used.

#1,795 · (Edited)

Khovanshchina- Conducted by Gergiev. I think this is a very high quality Russian opera. Underrated!
Thanks to the influence of Florestan for me exploring this one.

I've said it before but I need to say it again: I am going to take a purchasing break. Tickets go on sale for Rigoletto next week and I need to have money for that. And well.....yeah I've overspent by a pretty penny on music. I spent the weekend reorganizing my two iPods, so I think that will get me motivated to delve through all of my current music, many of which is yet unplayed. That will let my wishlist build up so I can give Santa recommendations anyway :lol:

#1,800 ·
Pretty good looking cast on this. Not usually my cup of tea but I may order for Coote, Gens and Bostridge alone!

#1,804 ·

Rossini: Bianca e Falliero

Laurent Kubla (Priuli), Kenneth Tarver (Contareno), Baurzhan Anderzhanov (Capellio), Marcin Banaś (Loredano), Cinzia Forte (Bianca), Victoria Yarovaya (Falliero), Marina Viotti (Costanza), Artavazd Sargsyan (Pisani/Ufficiale)

Virtuosi Brunensis, Camerata Bach Choir, Poznań, Antonino Fogliani

CD - 3 discs