Classical Music Forum banner

Best Blues

62K views 305 replies 39 participants last post by  Jay 
#1 ·

#112 ·

Reactions: Casebearer
#124 · (Edited)
I can't agree. Robert Johnson certainly was one of the greatest original blues artists but there were many others.

However, my favorite blues artist, Johnny Winter, had this to say of Robert Johnson:

Robert Johnson knocked me out--he was a genius. ... He sure was better than everybody else.
quote from Raisin Cain, The Wild and Raucous Story of Johnny Winter, by Mary Lou Sullivan

#139 · (Edited)
I like Muddy, Johnny, Alvin Lee, Canned Heat & The Stones...Robert J & Howlin Wolf even more but
Stone Crazy just trips my trigger. This is the wildest blues I know and it suits me.

The Stones joined Muddy Waters at Buddy's lounge in Chicago back in the 80's on their night off.
What else would the Stones do on their night off in Chicago? Jam with their idol.

Stone Crazy.

#142 · (Edited)
I had posted some decent Wolf footage (Shake For Me) on my FB TL March '16 but YT kilt it.
Here's the story & what's left

"Howlin' Wolf plays guitar along with Hubert Sumlin during an energetic performance from the 1964 American Folk and Blues Festival tour. In 1964 Howlin' Wolf toured Europe as part of the American Folk Blues Festival tour produced by German promoters Horst Lippmann and Fritz Rau. During the tour Wolf's guitarist Hubert Sumlin would make the first recordings under his own name. The following year 'The Wolf' appeared on the television show "Shindig" at the insistence of The Rolling Stones, who were scheduled to appear on the same program and had covered "Little Red Rooster" on an early album."
The deleted Shake For Me video would go here :mad:

But here's something from The Howlin Wolf Story DVD

and more Wolf stuff...
"That whole session is on his DVD. During that session he tells off Son House for being a drunken loser and wasting his talent because he was getting sloppy and obnoxious. Great DVD for a Wolf fan."
http://www.amazon.com/The-Howlin-Wolf-Story-History/dp/B0000DJZ81
http://www.howlinwolf.com/dvd/dvd.htm

#143 · (Edited)
From that same 1964 American Folk and Blues Festival session
Sunnyland Slim on the keys on the Wolf video? Anyone know for sure?

The second video:

1. It`s You My Baby (Luandrew) 2. Love You Woman (Sumlin) 3. Everytime I Get To Drinking (Luandrew) 4. When I Feel Better (Sumlin) 5. Blues Anytime (Dixion) 6. I Love (Sumlin) 7. Leavy Camp Moan (Luandrew) 8. My Baby (Dixon) 9. Hubert`s Blues (Sumlin) 10. We Gonna Jump (Luandrew) 11. Big Legged Woman (Temple) 12. Too Late For Me To Pray (Luandrew)

#147 ·

Reactions: tdc and ldiat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.