Classical Music Forum banner

Best Blues

62K views 305 replies 39 participants last post by  Jay 
#1 ·

#150 · (Edited)
Mike Bloomfield, from one of the Norman Dayron-produced albums.

#151 ·
Jimmie Vaughan, from The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

#156 ·
Still enjoying George - all these years later...

#157 ·
Roy knew what he was doing too. A tragic loss.

(Roy's playing is worth sitting through the preamble on this outing...)

#162 · (Edited)
The best version of Hendrix's "Red House" is included on this CD. It is the alternate, and superior, studio take which was included on British LPs. Unfortunately, it is not possible to hear it as a YouTube file, so get the CD and judge for yourself.

#163 ·
Here's one of my favorite B.B. King songs. God, he could play & sing so good when he was younger! I hear a definite influence on Mike Bloomfield here...

#178 · (Edited)
The only way to know is to go all the way back to the 20s and 30s and listen to everybody. But who knows what those cats were listening to? It grew out of the regional and folk traditions. I know one thing, the younger guys like SRV, and John Mayer today are heavily influenced by Albert King. And Robert Johnson was a huge influence on the whole modern blues movement, and guitar players.

One cat I really like today is Doyle Bramhall II. He's more of a soul music artist. He's a good guitar player, but it's more about well rounded artistry. Songwriting and soulful vocals. He's from the south and he sounds very authentic, unlike Joe Bonamassa who is a accomplished guitarist, but lacks that authenticity and southern soul because he's from the northern suburbs.

Reactions: bharbeke
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.