Page 179 of 187 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2792

Thread: The last thing you ate?

  1. #2671
    Donny Brook
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JW3 View Post
    I just ate some crackers with peanut butter for breakfast. I'm a culinary institute
    Rather than being a "culinary institute" you may actually be either a "gourmet" or a "gourmand" - it's your choice based upon the following -

    "Many English speakers feel that gourmand implies a tendency towards gluttony and that a gourmet is a somewhat more reserved individual. The first may be more of a hedonist and the second considered more of a critic, though both are connoisseurs. In older or more conservative usage, gourmand is closer in meaning to glutton.

    Both words are borrowings into English from French. In French, gourmand originally referred to a glutton, but the word evolved to mean a person who enjoys fine food in Modern French. Therefore, the English term is closer in meaning to the older French definition, which existed at the time the term was first incorporated into English. Recently, the English word has begun to evolve the same way it did in French.

    Gourmet, on the other hand, is a corruption of the old French groumet, meaning "servant" or "wine steward" and also a cognate with the English groom. Its modern meaning in both French and English, as a person with refined culinary tastes, was influenced by the word gourmand. While some who self identify as gourmets may object to being called a gourmand, the distinction between the two is certainly not set in stone, and the use of either term could be justified."

    In the future, it would help greatly if the participants within this thread would identify themselves as either gourmands meaning hedonists or gluttons or gourmets meaning critics or someone who is a reserved individual.

    The haggis post may have disqualified me from claiming either...

  2. #2672
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    18,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
    Rather than being a "culinary institute" you may actually be either a "gourmet" or a "gourmand" - it's your choice based upon the following -

    "Many English speakers feel that gourmand implies a tendency towards gluttony and that a gourmet is a somewhat more reserved individual. The first may be more of a hedonist and the second considered more of a critic, though both are connoisseurs. In older or more conservative usage, gourmand is closer in meaning to glutton.

    Both words are borrowings into English from French. In French, gourmand originally referred to a glutton, but the word evolved to mean a person who enjoys fine food in Modern French. Therefore, the English term is closer in meaning to the older French definition, which existed at the time the term was first incorporated into English. Recently, the English word has begun to evolve the same way it did in French.

    Gourmet, on the other hand, is a corruption of the old French groumet, meaning "servant" or "wine steward" and also a cognate with the English groom. Its modern meaning in both French and English, as a person with refined culinary tastes, was influenced by the word gourmand. While some who self identify as gourmets may object to being called a gourmand, the distinction between the two is certainly not set in stone, and the use of either term could be justified."

    In the future, it would help greatly if the participants within this thread would identify themselves as either gourmands meaning hedonists or gluttons or gourmets meaning critics or someone who is a reserved individual.

    The haggis post may have disqualified me from claiming either...
    BTW true haggis is not to be had in the USA. Sheep lungs, 10-15% of the recipe, cannot be imported or sold. Some modified haggis is imported but without sheep lungs and with artificial casing.


  3. #2673
    poco a poco
    Guest

    Default

    Try vegetarian haggis.

  4. #2674
    Donny Brook
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    BTW true haggis is not to be had in the USA. Sheep lungs, 10-15% of the recipe, cannot be imported or sold. Some modified haggis is imported but without sheep lungs and with artificial casing.
    I wasn't planning on emigrating but if I was that would be reason enough not to do so.
    Last edited by Donny Brook; Jan-12-2019 at 14:21.

  5. #2675
    Donny Brook
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poco a poco View Post
    Try vegetarian haggis.
    You really should - it's quite good actually - use this recipe:

    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...etarian-haggis

    and avoid this one at all costs - truly wretched -

    https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/re...-haggis-recipe
    Last edited by Donny Brook; Jan-12-2019 at 14:03.

  6. Likes ldiat liked this post
  7. #2676
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    18,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tonight my wife made tempura oysters deep fried in rice bran oil. Superb! She added a salad with lettuce, avocado, red onion, beets, tomato, sliced radish, and feta cheese. I slathered on some creamy French dressing.

    Full and quite satisfied!


  8. Likes ldiat, jenspen liked this post
  9. #2677
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    AC2C715B-A53F-4BF2-BF4F-7D96C55925E3.jpg

    Google picture

    Pretzel Sandwich

  10. Likes ldiat liked this post
  11. #2678
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    B00D57FB-A3C1-4A50-91FA-D06C7BFE8FB6.jpeg

    Pork Pierogi and Chicken Pierogi

  12. Likes ldiat, KenOC liked this post
  13. #2679
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chocolate cake.

  14. #2680
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I made a pizza with cherry tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms. cucumber and red/green apple delicious. OwO

  15. Likes ldiat liked this post
  16. #2681
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    2989DFE4-04A6-4D5E-AB5A-2827C3345FCA.jpeg

    Arrived yesterday from family in Norway. Brunost cheese of the Gods. (⃔ *`꒳´ * )⃕↝

  17. Likes ldiat liked this post
  18. #2682
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    11,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just a snack of these when I got home from a triple trip of church, a half mile hike at the Henry Ford Museum (is in the teens outdoors here), and a quick stop at Kroger supermarket. Now for a coffee and then I do have to brave the cold to change my oil. Thankfully I have a valve that flips open to drain it.

    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  19. Likes ldiat liked this post
  20. #2683
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    Just a snack of these when I got home from a triple trip of church, a half mile hike at the Henry Ford Museum (is in the teens outdoors here),
    My best friend from America said she had much snow last week. That seems very warm for winter.

  21. Likes Fritz Kobus, ldiat liked this post
  22. #2684
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk (ex-York)
    Posts
    4,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    35

    Default

    Chilli con carne, made by Taggart's fair mitt. Delectable!
    My fiddle my joy.

  23. Likes Fritz Kobus, ldiat liked this post
  24. #2685
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingélou View Post
    Chilli con carne, made by Taggart's fair mitt. Delectable!
    Excuse me what is fair mitt?

Similar Threads

  1. Just a silly thing
    By DW in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb-07-2013, 19:45
  2. The whole circle of keys thing
    By Azathoth in forum Beginners
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar-30-2008, 13:27
  3. New to this whole thing
    By Lament in forum New Members - Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan-19-2008, 06:27
  4. Games thing
    By Bassoonist Student in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec-11-2004, 14:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •