Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 490

Thread: Future opera releases on DVD and Blu-ray

  1. #16
    Senior Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair
    Posts
    3,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Handel, Agrippina (Venice, 1709) by the 24 year old.

    René Jacobs, AKAMUS. Agrippina: Alexandrina Pendatchanska, soprano; Nerone: Jennifer Rivera, soprano; Poppea: Sunhae Im, soprano; Ottone: Bejun Mehta, countertenor; Narcisso: Dominique Visse, countertenor; Pallante: Neal Davies, baritone; Claudio: Marco Fink, bass; Lesbo: Daniel Schmutzhard, baritone.

    I will definitely be getting this, as Jacobs have done wonders with Handel's music, despite eccentric tempos at times and even re-orchestration. Performance wise, should be the usual standard but the staging appears a mixed bag, as it often is the case with a Handel production.


  2. #17
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Handel, Agrippina (Venice, 1709) by the 24 year old.

    René Jacobs, AKAMUS. Agrippina: Alexandrina Pendatchanska, soprano; Nerone: Jennifer Rivera, soprano; Poppea: Sunhae Im, soprano; Ottone: Bejun Mehta, countertenor; Narcisso: Dominique Visse, countertenor; Pallante: Neal Davies, baritone; Claudio: Marco Fink, bass; Lesbo: Daniel Schmutzhard, baritone.

    I will definitely be getting this, as Jacobs have done wonders with Handel's music, despite eccentric tempos at times and even re-orchestration.
    Oh yes oh yeah oh yippee. I followed all this on Jennifer's Rivera's blog and she talked a lot about Jacobs' meticuluous attention to details.

    Performance wise, should be the usual standard but the staging appears a mixed bag, as it often is the case with a Handel production.
    OMG more on-stage simulated fellatio. It was also in the Paris Giulio Cesare. It makes me uncomfortable.

    Never mind with this cast and conductor I'll still get it. Do you know when it's due for release, HC?
    Natalie

  3. #18
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    OMG more on-stage simulated fellatio. It was also in the Paris Giulio Cesare. It makes me uncomfortable.
    Is it the fellatio or the simulated that bothers you? [Slaps own wrist. Withdraws question.]

  4. Likes mamascarlatti, Almaviva liked this post
  5. #19
    Senior Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair
    Posts
    3,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post

    Never mind with this cast and conductor I'll still get it. Do you know when it's due for release, HC?
    Not sure. But you won't be the only one waiting with eager anticipation!

  6. #20
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    Is it the fellatio or the simulated that bothers you? [Slaps own wrist. Withdraws question.]
    Amfortas, I've never seen a case of a new member who fits right in this fast.
    You're a great addition to the board, and you display the kind of humor that we love.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  7. #21
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    Is it the fellatio or the simulated that bothers you? [Slaps own wrist. Withdraws question.]
    Hehe you've made me feel better about this. Next time I see an extra grubbing around some hapless singer's crotch on stage I'll just thank my lucky stars it's not for real.
    Natalie

  8. #22
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Amfortas, I've never seen a case of a new member who fits right in this fast.
    You're a great addition to the board, and you display the kind of humor that we love.
    Why thank you. I'll try to keep up the good work.

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    Hehe you've made me feel better about this. Next time I see an extra grubbing around some hapless singer's crotch on stage I'll just thank my lucky stars it's not for real.
    Although that *would* provide some discussion fodder for my new "Operastar to Pornstar" thread (coming soon!).

  9. #23
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    The two newest blu-rays I've been waiting for got such negative reviews on Amazon.com that I'm having second thoughts.

    It's the new Rusalka with the cute new soprano Opalais, and the Gergiev Les Troyens with the weird spaceship/computer setting.

    Has anybody seen them already? I'd much rather trust one of you guys than Amazon.com customers. I'm hesitating to buy until I hear from one of you.

    PS - Can someone who speaks German please translate this into English for me? Thanks in advance. I tried with Google Translator and got most of it but the translation is still not too good, so I hope someone else here will do a better job. It's one of the Amazon.co.uk customer reviews for Rusalka:

    "Die Aufführung ist musikalisch grossartig. Die Geister werden sich an der Inszenierung scheiden. Kusej erzählt die Geschichte völlig neu und zum Teil in drastischen Bildern. Heile Welt ist das nicht und nicht jedermanns Sache. Wer sich darauf einlassen kann, erlebt eine der spannendsten Opernabende der letzten Jahre. Aber einfach macht es einem Kusej nicht."
    Last edited by Almaviva; Jul-04-2011 at 01:55.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  10. #24
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    The two newest blu-rays I've been waiting for got such negative reviews on Amazon.com that I'm having second thoughts.

    It's the new Rusalka with the cute new soprano Opalais, and the Gergiev Les Troyens with the weird spaceship/computer setting.

    Has anybody seen them already? I'd much rather trust one of you guys than Amazon.com customers. I'm hesitating to buy until I hear from one of you.
    jflatter posted a favourable review of the Rusalka very recently:

    Miscellaneous opera on DVD and Blu-ray
    Natalie

  11. #25
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These arrived and I've already watched the Gambler. Good opera and very well done but what a unredeemably unpleasant set of characters.



    Got to get my boy when he does Falstaff and besides it's a stunning production, all white and shiny.



    Already watched this with the 8 year old. Apparently Onegin is an idiot and should stop whingeing on to Tatiana about how she doesn't know what it's like to be in love.



    Alma is entirely responsible for my purchases of these two:





    If I don't like them I'm blaming him.
    Natalie

  12. #26
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    If you don't like them I'm blaming you.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #27
    Senior Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    Got to get my boy when he does Falstaff and besides it's a stunning production, all white and shiny.

    What!? A non-fat Falstaff? I'm SHOCKED! Shocked and appalled I tell you!

  14. #28
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    What!? A non-fat Falstaff? I'm SHOCKED! Shocked and appalled I tell you!
    So was Ruggero!

    Natalie

  15. #29
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    The legendary 1984 MIGENES/DOMINGO Carmen (movie version) finally rises from the grave in Blu Ray!

    USA release date 8/30/11, it is in my Amazon wishlist, it will be mine!
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Jul-05-2011 at 01:50.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    So was Ruggero!

    Interesting interview. And some very good samples. Although I'm not sure I buy the whole skinny Falstaff.
    But it is to be said that I still prefer my boys Ambrogio and Tito.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The future
    By Quartetfore in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep-24-2010, 19:14
  2. Future of opera
    By Grosse Fugue in forum Opera
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar-26-2010, 19:53
  3. Guild releases historic Hovhaness,etc.
    By handlebar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun-05-2009, 15:25
  4. 2 new releases on Wigmore Hall Live!
    By solideogloria in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct-02-2008, 16:36
  5. Dorian Relaunches with new releases!
    By Lute Lover in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov-06-2007, 15:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •