Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 514

Thread: Future opera releases on DVD and Blu-ray

  1. #91
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schigolch View Post
    On the other hand, while Ms. Petibon's voice is indeed small, it was very well projected and filled the Liceu (a big house) without any problems (apart from some low notes). Very impressive to see her at the end, stabbed, naked, with all the characters surrounding her, as is she magically recovers her seduction powers, once dead.
    I know that I'll be considered to have low standards by "some people" and so forth, but I can't deny that I look forward to seeing Ms. Petibon naked. I find her so incredibly sexy!

    And what's with the reviewer (quoted by rsmithor above) who thinks that the Liceu orchestra is excellent? I'm glad to see that you agree with me, I've never been overly impressed with that orchestra, and since I consider myself a poor judge of orchestras, I'm happy that my low opinion of those forces seems to be confirmed by a specialist.
    Last edited by Almaviva; Aug-14-2011 at 16:59.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  2. #92
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schigolch View Post

    As mentioned in the review, at the beginning there were around 3/4 of the capacity, and at the end no more than 50%. But this was not for the production. To understand this better, you need to know the Liceu patrons. It was something to be expected, even with the best possible Lulu on stage.
    Are you saying the audience often walk out if they don't like it? What a waste of money.

    Reminds me a bit of F1. You expect it at Monza where if both Ferraris go out, most of the 'Tifosi' leave, but it happens at other circuits as well. In Spain if Fernando Alonso's car breaks down/has an accident the grandstands empty quite quickly. I reckon if you've paid big bucks for your seat, you may as well watch all the race even if 'your driver' has retired.
    Ann

  3. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The major problem for the two major spanish opera theaters (Liceu and Real) is the average quality of their respective orchestras. On the other hand, the orchestra of the Valencia Opera House, recently formed, is excellent.

    Of course, as always in art, there are as many opinions as people, however. So I'm happy to see that someone considers the Liceu Orchestra is very good. It could be in some pieces, with some conductors, but not on this Lulu, in my view.

    And yes, in some operas, like Lulu, but not only Lulu, many people tend to walk out the House. The last time was in Madrid, when the attendance at the beginning of Saint François d'Assise was around 80% and, at the end, barely 40%. One of the reasons is many people don't pay for a particular performance, but rather book in advance all the season, while others seats are occupied with invitations granted by private sponsors.

  4. #94
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Patricia Petibon's Lulu is about to be released.



    I did not place a pre-order, because I'd expect a blu-ray release as well, which I'd much prefer over the DVD release.
    Same with Anna Netrebko's Anna Bolena - although, this one, I couldn't resist, I did place a pre-order - but I can always cancel if a blu-ray is announced. (By the way, good thing that they've corrected the blue tint that was making Anna's lips look like those of someone suffering from lack of oxygen).



    Do you all have any information on whether or not these performances will be also released on blu-ray?
    Last edited by Almaviva; Sep-26-2011 at 06:12.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  5. #95
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Do you all have any information on whether or not these performances will be also released on blu-ray?
    No, sorry. I can't even remember where I found the info about Anna Bolena.
    Ann

  6. #96
    Senior Member ooopera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hurray!!!

  7. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  8. #98
    Senior Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    I did not place a pre-order, because I'd expect a blu-ray release as well, which I'd much prefer over the DVD release.
    Same with Anna Netrebko's Anna Bolena - although, this one, I couldn't resist, I did place a pre-order - but I can always cancel if a blu-ray is announced. (By the way, good thing that they've corrected the blue tint that was making Anna's lips look like those of someone suffering from lack of oxygen).



    Do you all have any information on whether or not these performances will be also released on blu-ray?
    Alma, from whom did you pre-order the Anna Bolena? I checked good ol' amazon.com and couldn't find anything.

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Alma, from whom did you pre-order the Anna Bolena? I checked good ol' amazon.com and couldn't find anything.
    Try this link. Maybe there was some sort of glitch on their site.
    Last edited by AnaMendoza; Sep-27-2011 at 20:13. Reason: fixed link

  10. #100
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Yes, Amazon.com

    Holy cow! I first saw the pre-order announced for $25, then when I placed my pre-order it had jumped to $27 (I locked this price in) and now it's $36!!!

    Well, good for Anna. Looks like she's been the hottest of commodities (hot she is, no doubt!).

    60 sold-out performances this coming season, and her DVDs are selling well!

    Bravo, girl, way to go!!!

    OK, now I panicked and pre-ordered the Lulu as well, for $28 (it also started being offered at $25).
    Last edited by Almaviva; Sep-28-2011 at 05:32.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  11. #101
    Senior Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnaMendoza View Post
    Try this link. Maybe there was some sort of glitch on their site.
    AnaMendoza, thanks. Link worked; DVD pre-ordered!

  12. #102
    Senior Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Yes, Amazon.com

    Holy cow! I first saw the pre-order announced for $25, then when I placed my pre-order it had jumped to $27 (I locked this price in) and now it's $36!!!

    Well, good for Anna. Looks like she's been the hottest of commodities (hot she is, no doubt!).

    60 sold-out performances this coming season, and her DVDs are selling well!

    Bravo, girl, way to go!!!

    OK, now I panicked and pre-ordered the Lulu as well, for $28 (it also started being offered at $25).
    Figured I'd better place my order before the price rose any higher! Of course, the good news about pre-ordering from Amazon is that you benefit if the price happens to decrease between the time you pre-order and the time your item actually arrives. My new CD of Rusalka is costing me about $10 less than the listed price when I pre-ordered. I also received a bit of a price savings on my pre-order of the Abbado Fidelio.

  13. #103
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    10/25/2011 USA release of remastered Bareboim Ring............

    Looks like another must have, Kultur Video has gone back to original tapes and remastered in widescreen 1:78 format with improved picture and sound, number of DVDs expands to 11 (previous set only 7 DVDs)..........make sure you are getting new Kultur release and not older versions out there

    In my buy basket, under $100 new at Amazon USA

    Still some sellers on Amazon USA asking $700 for old set.......
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Oct-03-2011 at 16:25.

  14. #104
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post


    10/25/2011 USA release of remastered Bareboim Ring............

    Looks like another must have, Kultur Video has gone back to original tapes and remastered in widescreen 1:78 format with improved picture and sound, number of DVDs expands to 11 (previous set only 7 DVDs)..........make sure you are getting new Kultur release and not older versions out there

    In my buy basket, under $100 new at Amazon USA

    Still some sellers on Amazon USA asking $700 for old set.......
    Anyone besides me going for the upgrade ................

    Can't believe the lack of interest on this, we did vote Ring top DVD and Barenboim top version, the price is right and picture and sound upgrade should be well worth it, if you don't have Ring yet this becomes you first choice price-performance-picture quality

    No mention of any Blu Ray transfer which might be a reason to hold off on this expanded DVD set, so I guess this will have to do.....
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Oct-08-2011 at 14:39.

  15. #105
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Well, I don't know, I do have the European set, I'm not sure if I'd get another set because of remastered image/sound. It's still the same performance. If someone offered it to me as a gift, sure, I'd be glad to have it, and would give away my old set, but buying another one seems a bit too much in terms of allocation of money for operatic purchases.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. Likes mamascarlatti liked this post
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The future
    By Quartetfore in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep-24-2010, 19:14
  2. Future of opera
    By Grosse Fugue in forum Opera
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar-26-2010, 19:53
  3. Guild releases historic Hovhaness,etc.
    By handlebar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun-05-2009, 15:25
  4. 2 new releases on Wigmore Hall Live!
    By solideogloria in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct-02-2008, 16:36
  5. Dorian Relaunches with new releases!
    By Lute Lover in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov-06-2007, 15:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •