Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 257

Thread: Metal and Classical: What is the connection?

  1. #151
    Senior Member The Sound Of Perseverance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    Difficulty of doing something has absolutely nothing to do with artistic quality. For example, it would be extremely difficult to insert one's head in one's anus - I'm not going to applaud someone capable of accomplishing such a task simply on the basis that it is difficult, or that the person might injure themselves in the process.

    Glenn Danzig manages to sing of grisly and morbid and often occult topics with a very lyrical voice that I find appealing, such as it is. If anything, I think it is much more disquieting and unsettling to sing of such morbid topics in a relatively melodic tone versus incoherent growling and screaming.
    theres the problem i know every word of what they're saying in most songs. its difficult to get accustomed to. it took me around 5 months and its very artistic the very definition of artistic is having or revealing natural creative skill. and whats not creative about death growling? theres no one else who came up with anything like it before it was born.
    Last edited by The Sound Of Perseverance; Sep-16-2014 at 16:06.
    death metal and classical music enthusiast

  2. #152
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sound Of Perseverance View Post
    theres the problem i know every word of what they're saying in most songs. its difficult to get accustomed to. it took me around 5 months and its very artistic the very definition of artistic is having or revealing natural creative skill. and whats not creative about death growling? theres no one else who came up with anything like it before it was born.
    Oh contraire - they are just shallow, morbid imitations of this pioneer:


    And I can understand him.

  3. Likes Morimur, ptr, Varick liked this post
  4. #153
    Senior Member The Sound Of Perseverance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    Oh contraire - they are just shallow, morbid imitations of this pioneer:


    And I can understand him.
    I love how you refuse to think about my message and instead resort to childish mockery I think I've won this argument by default. You should think about being civilized in an arguement. I'm suprised none of your fellow classical music fans are mad at you. Remember when you're on a forum you are no only representing yourself but your fellow forum goers too.
    death metal and classical music enthusiast

  5. #154
    Senior Member norman bates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sound Of Perseverance View Post
    I love how you refuse to think about my message and instead resort to childish mockery I think I've won this argument by default. You should think about being civilized in an arguement. I'm suprised none of your fellow classical music fans are mad at you. Remember when you're on a forum you are no only representing yourself but your fellow forum goers too.
    do you think you're representing myself?

  6. #155
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sound Of Perseverance View Post
    I love how you refuse to think about my message and instead resort to childish mockery I think I've won this argument by default. You should think about being civilized in an arguement. I'm suprised none of your fellow classical music fans are mad at you. Remember when you're on a forum you are no only representing yourself but your fellow forum goers too.
    Oh, believe me, there are several that I regularly enrage. But as far as the forum goes, we are a vast, diverse group, with different interests, and mine is my own. I think your attempts at portraying Metal Growling as some artistic endeavor is laughable, and your attempt to try and legitimize your own particular flavor of Metal as somehow inter-connected with Classical music as insecure. You can think what you want as to who has "won" the argument - go ahead and poll the forum as to their opinion of Death Metal and see just how much love you have generated for it. I mock it, first, because it was a pretty funny joke, after your equally funny assertion that growling in such a way as to not destroy your vocal chords is artistic. That just begged some mockery - and given that I mocked it with a children's program, I'll accept that as childish mockery.

    I mock other things as well, related to classical music - particularly when it comes to Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, and how I am ready to kill off the two title characters just to end the incessant moaning about how they love each other so much they could die.

    You are on a crusade to gain the acceptance of self-professed Classical music fans for your safe-growling Death Metal. I find that humorous. So I have fun with it. And as I have said before, your attempt to validate the "artistic" merit of safe-growling seems as ridiculous as Florence Foster Jenkins self-delusion that she had real vocal talent.

  7. #156
    Senior Member norman bates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    I mock it, first, because it was a pretty funny joke
    I've laughed hard but after all, death growl singing what is it, if not the representation of a (cookie) monster?
    Anyway, I don't think that growl is necessarily a bad thing, my problem with it is that it's more a trick than a style, and a lot over used. I mean, even guys like Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong used to sing growling, but they did that but when they thought it was a good effect, not always.

  8. #157
    Senior Member DeepR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Listening to metal is like watching a bad horror movie. I just can't take it seriously as music.

  9. Likes N/A liked this post
  10. #158
    Senior Member The Sound Of Perseverance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    Oh, believe me, there are several that I regularly enrage. But as far as the forum goes, we are a vast, diverse group, with different interests, and mine is my own. I think your attempts at portraying Metal Growling as some artistic endeavor is laughable, and your attempt to try and legitimize your own particular flavor of Metal as somehow inter-connected with Classical music as insecure. You can think what you want as to who has "won" the argument - go ahead and poll the forum as to their opinion of Death Metal and see just how much love you have generated for it. I mock it, first, because it was a pretty funny joke, after your equally funny assertion that growling in such a way as to not destroy your vocal chords is artistic. That just begged some mockery - and given that I mocked it with a children's program, I'll accept that as childish mockery.

    I mock other things as well, related to classical music - particularly when it comes to Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, and how I am ready to kill off the two title characters just to end the incessant moaning about how they love each other so much they could die.

    You are on a crusade to gain the acceptance of self-professed Classical music fans for your safe-growling Death Metal. I find that humorous. So I have fun with it. And as I have said before, your attempt to validate the "artistic" merit of safe-growling seems as ridiculous as Florence Foster Jenkins self-delusion that she had real vocal talent.
    The problem with you is that you proclaim yourself as a genius with your words but you have no real intellect at all and it's sad. But even when I give you the defenition of artistic you completely ignored it. You are to ignorant to argue with though I will keep arguing as long as you do.
    Last edited by The Sound Of Perseverance; Sep-16-2014 at 18:13.
    death metal and classical music enthusiast

  11. #159
    Senior Member The Sound Of Perseverance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
    do you think you're representing myself?
    I am not a regular forum goer so no I am not
    death metal and classical music enthusiast

  12. #160
    Senior Member Marschallin Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    Oh contraire - they are just shallow, morbid imitations of this pioneer:

    And I can understand him.
    Oh, I know what you're saying.

    -- Just like how some of the lyrical content of some 'spiritual' music is like this:



    -- That 'kind' of hard-to-understand, crazy babble.

    Got'cha.
    Last edited by Marschallin Blair; Sep-16-2014 at 18:23.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." - Thomas Carlyle

  13. Likes N/A liked this post
  14. #161
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marschallin Blair View Post
    Oh, I know what you're saying.

    -- Just like how some of the lyrical content of some 'spiritual' music is like this:



    -- That 'kind' of hard-to-understand, crazy babble.

    Got'cha.
    I love it. Yes - much of religious musical texts are exactly the way they are portrayed in a movie parody that pokes fun at religion!!! You have it pegged.

  15. Likes Itullian liked this post
  16. #162
    Senior Member The Sound Of Perseverance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    I love it. Yes - much of religious musical texts are exactly the way they are portrayed in a movie parody that pokes fun at religion!!! You have it pegged.
    ignoring again really dude
    death metal and classical music enthusiast

  17. Likes Marschallin Blair liked this post
  18. #163
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sound Of Perseverance View Post
    The problem with you is that you proclaim yourself as a genius with your words but you have no real intellect at all and it's sad. But even when I give you the defenition of artistic you completely ignored it. You are to ignorant to argue with though I will keep arguing as long as you do.
    I don't know where you get that I am proclaiming myself as a genius with my words. I have made no such assertion. I speak/write the way I do as a result of using the English language for so long and reading literature. I don't know another way to write, but am flattered that you think I speak like an intellectual.

    As to my intellect, that may very well be. Better men than you have pronounced worse upon me. Still, I take it with a grain of sand. I noticed you took the most lax definition of "artistic" that the Dictionary widget on an Apple computer provides. Why not the other ones - like the one that defines artistic as meaning aesthetically pleasing? The growling arguably fails that test.

    But I wonder exactly where you have come up with the idea that I am ignorant? In other threads, I have given reasoned arguments as to why I find Death and Black Metal unappealing. You didn't like those arguments. At any rate, now you are just repeating yourself - we've had the whole argument over the merits of Death Metal growling in other threads. Rather than regurgitate my same arguments here, I am looking at the humor in it all. Because if you can't laugh at other people, who can you laugh at?

    Get it? It's a joke. Come on - put yourself in our shoes. Go read discussions of various opera singers in the opera sub-forum. Go look at the love that members have for their favorite sopranos, or mezzo-sopranos, or tenors, or heldentenors, or baritones, or basses. Then along comes some teenager talking about the "artistic" merit of guys who have managed to learn how to "growl" along to their heavily distorted guitars and loud, often ridiculously fast drum lines, in such a way that they don't damage their vocal chords, and tell me that doesn't sound absurd to you. If you can't see the humor in that, well, you go on calling the rest of us ignorant.

  19. #164
    Senior Member Marschallin Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMike View Post
    I love it. Yes - much of religious musical texts are exactly the way they are portrayed in a movie parody that pokes fun at religion!!! You have it pegged.
    Um. . . who said anything about religion?

    Was that a parody?

    Or was it a slice of life?

    I see people like that at the beach all the time.
    Last edited by Marschallin Blair; Sep-16-2014 at 19:50.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." - Thomas Carlyle

  20. #165
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marschallin Blair View Post
    Um. . . who said anything about religion?

    Was that a parody?

    Or was it a slice of life?

    I see people like that at the beach all the time.
    I'd try a different beach, then. I just returned from a very wonderful vacation at the beach where nobody bothered me, let alone anyone religious.

    Oh, and yes, that was a parody. Oh, and the dead parrot isn't a real parrot, either. Seems like your a bit confused with Monty Python - wanted to clarify things there for you.

    And I thought I had indicated that Cookie Monster was actually quite easy to understand.
    Last edited by DrMike; Sep-16-2014 at 19:50.

  21. Likes Itullian liked this post
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Getting metal fans involved with classical music
    By Conservationist in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Feb-13-2019, 20:20
  2. Metal arrangements of classical pieces
    By Glaliraha in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov-28-2010, 02:07
  3. Metal versions of classical music
    By sam richards in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun-08-2009, 00:26
  4. Metal Music (Death Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, etc)
    By Metalheadwholovesclasical in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 765
    Last Post: May-04-2009, 02:20
  5. Metal is for serious Classical enthusiasts too!
    By SchubertObsessive in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug-15-2006, 12:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •