Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1702

Thread: Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat

  1. #16
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Annie, I've seen that book listed on her website but have no idea about it. The reviews on amazon.co.uk are very positive though, as you probably know. It hasn't been published in the US so no opportunity to get it from the library and see what it's like.

  2. #17
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Regarding "Fidelio" on Spotify, I am listening and Decca has BLOCKED "Gott welch' dunkel hier" and the conclusion of Act 2. Also it sounds a little bit like they have edited out a great deal of dialogue.

    Have sent a nastygram to amazon.com about my order, we shall see.

    Guess I'll have to just listen to Strauss lieder again...this is truly become one of my all-time favorite CDs.


  3. #18
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FragendeFrau View Post
    Annie, I've seen that book listed on her website but have no idea about it. The reviews on amazon.co.uk are very positive though, as you probably know. It hasn't been published in the US so no opportunity to get it from the library and see what it's like.
    I think I'll see if my library will get it for me. Thanks FF.
    Ann

  4. #19
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    This is opera-related, sort of.

    What on earth has Vivienne Westwood got on under her dress???

    http://operachic.typepad.com/opera_c...-salzburg.html
    Ann

  5. #20
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    This is opera-related, sort of.

    What on earth has Vivienne Westwood got on under her dress???

    http://operachic.typepad.com/opera_c...-salzburg.html
    Some of the comments suggest that it's a diaper. I'll be more charitable and guess that it's some kind of superhero costume. Always have to be ready to jump into a phone booth, strip out of your street clothes, and go bring criminals to justice.

  6. #21
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry, I truly didn't scan below her head--that scared me enough! You'd think she could have afforded a maid to iron the wrinkles out of that dress--one of her own creations?

  7. #22
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    This is opera-related, sort of.

    What on earth has Vivienne Westwood got on under her dress???

    http://operachic.typepad.com/opera_c...-salzburg.html
    I looked at it and then tried very hard not to think about it for the rest of the day. And now YOU have reminded me of it. Aaaaargggh.
    Natalie

  8. #23
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    It's definitely an adult incontinence diaper.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. #24
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe she was making a statement about not being able to get to the ladies' room during the intervals?

  10. Likes mamascarlatti liked this post
  11. #25
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Was Wagner really such a s*#t?



    I've just finished watching this. In this Wagner is portrayed as a man with few redeeming features, a terrible exploiter of all his friends and acquaintances, and rabidly rude to everyone, be they Jewish, French or anybody who basically was not Wagner (apart from all the kowtowing to Ludwig).

    I've so far not read a biography of the man, only books about his operas and the Tristan Chord.

    Was the guy really that awful?
    Natalie

  12. #26
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post


    I've just finished watching this. In this Wagner is portrayed as a man with few redeeming features, a terrible exploiter of all his friends and acquaintances, and rabidly rude to everyone, be they Jewish, French or anybody who basically was not Wagner (apart from all the kowtowing to Ludwig).

    I've so far not read a biography of the man, only books about his operas and the Tristan Chord.

    Was the guy really that awful?
    I've never read a full biography either but as far as I know from several fragments, yes, he was that awful, and worse (there's also his womanizing and the way he used women - if I know you well, you won't like that part).

    Still, he's one of the human beings whose art has given me the most pleasure.

    So, I'm a sort of uneasy fan, and even guiltily have his picture on my refrigerator door.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #27
    Senior Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=FragendeFrau;189396]Regarding "Fidelio" on Spotify, I am listening and Decca has BLOCKED "Gott welch' dunkel hier" and the conclusion of Act 2. Also it sounds a little bit like they have edited out a great deal of dialogue.

    The entire recording has "a great deal of dialogue" edited out of it. This is thanks to the nitwit stage director at Lucerne, Tatjana Gürbaca, who not only mangled the original dialogue but decided she had to "improve" it by writing some of her own.

  14. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is this story about some dramatic wedding day in church and down there in main hall all was going frenzy someone loved not the one he should and stuff and it was big mess, very dramatic, yes, but after all they all were blown away by the organist because while they had their love dillemas down there he was improvising in his organ balcony a wedding march and he though DAMN, I'M GOOD and started to play more and more passionately and when he was finally going to end he died from unbearable awe and delight over last chord of his music.

  15. #29
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    I've never read a full biography either but as far as I know from several fragments, yes, he was that awful, and worse (there's also his womanizing and the way he used women - if I know you well, you won't like that part).

    Still, he's one of the human beings whose art has given me the most pleasure.

    So, I'm a sort of uneasy fan, and even guiltily have his picture on my refrigerator door.
    I have read a couple of biographies, and yes, he was a pretty horrid individual. It all stemmed from an overwhelming egoism--he was the great revolutionary genius who would redeem, not just music, but all of art (and probably humanity as well). From that perspective, he was perfectly entitled to make any use he wanted of other men's talent, money, or wives, all in furtherance of his vital destiny.

    Obviously, it's hard to feel any liking for the man. But from our own more distanced perspective, we could say that, in a sense, he was right--the only thing that still matters to us now are the works he produced.

    And though we may condemn Wagner for being such a raging egoist, arguably the operas we love couldn't have been created by any other sort of personality. Who else would have been foolhardy enough, not only to attempt the Ring, but to plan and build his own theatre for it? Who else would have made such unprecedented demands on orchestras, singers, and designers? Who else would have produced music and drama so wildly beyond the scope of anything attempted before?

    Wagner was egotistical verging on madness. But unlike the overwhelming majority of such cases, he had the talent to back it up.

  16. #30
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    There is this story about some dramatic wedding day in church and down there in main hall all was going frenzy someone loved not the one he should and stuff and it was big mess, very dramatic, yes, but after all they all were blown away by the organist because while they had their love dillemas down there he was improvising in his organ balcony a wedding march and he though DAMN, I'M GOOD and started to play more and more passionately and when he was finally going to end he died from unbearable awe and delight over last chord of his music.
    Please don't let your own music have that effect on *you*, Aramis!

Similar Threads

  1. Opera on DVD/Blu-ray/CD Chat
    By Herkku in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: Nov-02-2019, 19:11
  2. Miscellaneous opera on DVD and Blu-ray
    By jhar26 in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Jul-11-2017, 07:40
  3. Post something related.
    By Rasa in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: Apr-13-2012, 17:58
  4. Miscellaneous
    By myaskovsky2002 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Dec-09-2010, 22:33
  5. Opera related question! Help please :)
    By OPERAGIRL in forum Opera
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct-03-2009, 12:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •