Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1697

Thread: Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat

  1. #1
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat

    Since I am guilty of getting several threads off-topic, I wonder if the powers that be have ever thought of having an off-topic "discussion area". By that I mean, not about our personal lives, but about opera-related items.

    For instance here are a couple of things I'd like to discuss:

    Is anyone in the US using Spotify?

    The new Fidelio CD is available on Spotify if anyone is interested (although maybe this qualifies as opera news? or streaming, if you have Spotify)

    Advice on ordering tickets for the Met (seating etc. too late for me now, but maybe for others)

    Do you know any cheap places to stay in NYC (or on the train line in NJ or CT)--this follows of course on the previous question!

    In January our local opera company is doing a Glass opera called Les Enfants Terribles; does anyone know this opera?

    Now I'm betting that you have tried this in the past and it didn't work, but I thought I would ask.

  2. Likes sospiro, waldvogel, Hesoos liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I would find an 'opera miscellaneous' thread useful. Sometimes I want to post/ask something & can't find a suitable thread so don't bother.
    Ann

  4. #3
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would support a "miscellaneous" thread as well--though partly as a brainstorming birthplace for new topics that might quickly grow into full-fledged threads of their own.

  5. #4
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Jessica Duchen writes for The Independent and has written a book.

    Has anyone read it or the short story which inspired it?



    Her latest and startlingly original book about the healing powers of music revolves around Russian author Ivan Turgenev's short story The Song of Triumphant Love.

    Turgenev fell hopelessly in love with the 19th century opera singer Pauline Viardot who famously quit the stage at an early age because she lost her beautiful singing voice.

    Taking the relationship between Turgenev and Viardot as her central theme, Duchen weaves the strands of their real lives into the fictional but parallel tale of an opera singer facing a career-ending illness....
    Ann

  6. #5
    Senior Member TxllxT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Texel
    Posts
    2,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default For Callas devotees

    Last night we watched the first part of the ITV series 'The Secret Mediterranean'. In the first part an extensive look inside the "Christina O", the famous party-ship of Onassis, is being offered. Quite interesting for those who still remember those days of glamour, jetset & Maria Callas of course. But apart from this touristic fun there is an opera choir present on the background to accompany it all. They sing only one letter. "O OOO OOOO O OOO OOOO", lasting about twenty minutes long. Very indeed! At the end my mouth had got pre-shaped into the form of a certain letter....

  7. #6
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FragendeFrau View Post
    . . . I wonder if the powers that be have ever thought of having an off-topic "discussion area". By that I mean, not about our personal lives, but about opera-related items.
    We have an 'off topic' discussion area already ... the Community Forum.
    Kh
    Administrator


  8. #7
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krummhorn View Post
    We have an 'off topic' discussion area already ... the Community Forum.
    But we were wondering about an off-topic area specifically within the *opera* forum.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If at all possible it would be nice if we could filter what threads come up in our 'what's new.' I'm all for people socializing but it's a little annoying logging into a classical forum and having to sift through a bunch of topics that aren't related to classical music. Just logging in 4 of the first 10 most recent topics don't pertain to classical music.

  10. Likes SuperTonic liked this post
  11. #9
    Senior Member FragendeFrau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The 10 topics I see on logging in just now are:
    Sticky: Top 158 recommended Operas
    This off-topic discussion
    Best line in opera
    Great male singers
    Great female singers
    30-day opera challenge
    Tristan, Isolde, and You
    Tabloid Titles for Operas
    The TC Most recommended Operas positions 101-200
    Opera news
    ****

    Which of these does not fall under the description "Forum for discussing operas and operettas, as well as opera singers and related topics"?

    Even in my request for a 'off-topic' discussion thread I specifically said 'opera-related' items, the idea being that I wouldn't start a thread every time I wanted to ask a question or discuss an opera or CD that I had just heard.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    But we were wondering about an off-topic area specifically within the *opera* forum.
    Off-topic, or opera related?

    If it's entirely off-topic, then I'd suggest the Community Forum. It exists already, it's thriving, has a number of interesting threads (although it often deteriorates into shouting matches and threads need to be locked - it is often a headache for us moderators - but I do see its value).

    If it's opera-related, then it isn't off-topic, I wonder if we really need to create a thread for that or just start a new thread about whatever we want to discuss that *is* opera-related. All of the OP's suggestions are valid topics for a new thread if she wants to start one.

    But I do see some value in having a "Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat" thread, if that's what you guys want. It might keep these miscellaneous topics confined into one long thread without clogging the front page.

    It's something to consider.

    Interestingly enough, I did start one just like this in the DVD/blu-ray subforum and made it a sticky, but it doesn't thrive. People rarely post on it (I think I'm the one who posts most on it) and sometimes I find it quite unnecessarily and think about un-sticking it. So do we really need one like this in the Opera forum?

    What do you all think?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #11
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    But I do see some value in having a "Miscellaneous Opera-related Chat" thread, if that's what you guys want. It might keep these miscellaneous topics confined into one long thread without clogging the front page.

    It's something to consider.

    Interestingly enough, I did start one just like this in the DVD/blu-ray subforum and made it a sticky, but it doesn't thrive. People rarely post on it (I think I'm the one who posts most on it) and sometimes I find it quite unnecessarily and think about un-sticking it. So do we really need one like this in the Opera forum?

    What do you all think?
    Since a number of people have requested it, why not give it a try? It may turn out to be more successful than its DVD/Blu-ray equivalent. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't thrive and eventually gets consigned to "unstuck" oblivion.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FragendeFrau View Post
    The 10 topics I see on logging in just now are:
    Sticky: Top 158 recommended Operas
    This off-topic discussion
    Best line in opera
    Great male singers
    Great female singers
    30-day opera challenge
    Tristan, Isolde, and You
    Tabloid Titles for Operas
    The TC Most recommended Operas positions 101-200
    Opera news
    ****

    Which of these does not fall under the description "Forum for discussing operas and operettas, as well as opera singers and related topics"?

    Even in my request for a 'off-topic' discussion thread I specifically said 'opera-related' items, the idea being that I wouldn't start a thread every time I wanted to ask a question or discuss an opera or CD that I had just heard.
    I think he's probably talking about the What's New feature that has to do with the entire Talk Classical website, not just the Opera forum.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. #13
    Senior Member Almaviva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    Since a number of people have requested it, why not give it a try? It may turn out to be more successful than its DVD/Blu-ray equivalent. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't thrive and eventually gets consigned to "unstuck" oblivion.
    OK, then, I'll make of this thread the one, with a changed title, and will stick it, let's see how it goes. If it doesn't get much traffic then I'll un-stick it.

    Edit - OK, I did it, but let's keep it opera-related.

    If it's entirely off-topic (politics, the economy, etc) then we do have an area for this already, the Community Forum.
    Last edited by Almaviva; Aug-06-2011 at 02:39.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. Likes sospiro, FragendeFrau liked this post
  17. #14
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks, Alma.

  18. #15
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Thanks Alma. My post about the book didn't have an obvious 'home' - suppose it could have gone in 'opera news' but it wasn't really 'news'.
    Ann

Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Opera on DVD/Blu-ray/CD Chat
    By Herkku in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 200
    Last Post: May-03-2019, 00:02
  2. Miscellaneous opera on DVD and Blu-ray
    By jhar26 in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Jul-11-2017, 07:40
  3. Post something related.
    By Rasa in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: Apr-13-2012, 17:58
  4. Miscellaneous
    By myaskovsky2002 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Dec-09-2010, 22:33
  5. Opera related question! Help please :)
    By OPERAGIRL in forum Opera
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct-03-2009, 12:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •