Classical Music Forum banner

What kind of music Jesus Christ our Lord would like and blush (serieous question)

15K views 139 replies 43 participants last post by  Tikoo Tuba 
#1 · (Edited)
Tell me among classical , while listening to muusic ever felt a christic presence in the room , that you can see but feel, it happen to me once, i dont know on what composer perhaps Harvey,modern cllassical.

Name classical composer that would made our lord and savior , Jesus of Nazareth the great.

Please stay in classical genra,,, era can be ars antiqua to modern day..

#46 ·
The question of the OP is a little vague to me. But I'll give it a shot. Considering that mankind has enjoyed music of one type or the other for such a long time, it is likely He would like music as well.

The question of what type of music is where it gets a little vague to me. In His day he would have probably liked some type of music of that time. As for today, who knows. No doubt many of us would be surprised.

#50 ·
Yes! The improvisation on the Louvre aulos was great. Impossible to know how well it reflects actual ancient practice, but it certainly demonstrates the potential of the instrument.

#60 ·
It's well enough and commonly understood that every little child is the baby Jesus nourished by the mother's lullaby .
And sometimes there comes a night of wondrous peace upon a community . In this night , a baby wails , and a candle is lit as Mother arises to give comfort . We hear the wail in a moment become a song of creation , an emergence of melody simple and pure . To this , we the witness , can hold on to as true .

#61 ·
It's well enough and commonly understood that every little child is the baby Jesus nourished by the mother's lullaby .
And sometimes there comes a night of wondrous peace upon a community . In this night , a baby wails , and a candle is lit as Mother arises to give comfort . We hear the wail in a moment become a song of creation , an emergence of melody simple and pure . To this , we the witness , can hold on to as true .
I don't understand. What is your source for this?

#73 · (Edited)
In the balance is there anti-music ? in literalism , perhaps . I wish Jesus had been portrayed musical , but hey! not even his writings have been presented . Very strange . But , yes , yet we have the music-mind . It's goodness and free . May its blessing be spirit , only for the song of the moment , hoped for again , never expected nor indulgently commanded to be .

#74 ·
Jesus could have very well been a carpenter. Anyone who who has worked in the mason trades soon learns that a mason can't do much without falsework. Falsework being the supporting framework to hold the structure together before locking the whole together with a keystone and mortar. Also, roofs were made to span across mason walls, usually with finished timbers.

As a side note, I often chuckle when I see Jesus portrayed in the movies by a willowy actor who's so white that he looks like he spent the last 15 years in a basement! I suspect Jesus is a physically strong man, darkened by the sun, because I believe that he was hefting beams on his back and woodworking in the days before power tools!

Jesus, who said many times that He is God, created a love of music in me. Its His gift to us, so I suspect that he likes much of the same music we like!

Psalms 150: 4-6

"Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord."

#76 ·
If I should speculate, Jesus would not be interested in any kind of music and would have perceived it as escapism and empty rituals. Of course we know nothing of the real Jesus, but I know of no important religious figure (that I consider as having anything of interest to say) that would be interested in music

#77 · (Edited)
Of course, as a Jew, Jesus would have been steeped in Jewish music through the synagogues and Jewish festivals. The Jewish psalms cover all areas of emotion and deal with orientation, disorientation, and surprising reorientation (per Walter Bruggemann); in other words, the total human experience. And as a human, Jesus would have encountered all this, so the Hebrew songs would have meant something to him. Before taking his disciples to Gesthemane, they sang a hymn (from the standard Passover hymns). The words on the cross "Why have you forsaken me" are from the psalms. So the historic Jesus would have found a great use for music in expressing his inner feelings.

"We know nothing of the real Jesus." I'm not sure that's the case. Richard Bauckham's recent book Jesus and the Eyewitnesses makes a compelling case for the gospels, particularly Mark, containing eyewitness accounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.