Classical Music Forum banner

Modern Christian Ballet

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Tikoo Tuba 
#1 ·
I just googled "Christian Ballet" and a ton of stuff came up, even someone who studied with Martha Graham.. Anyone have any experience with this?

#8 · (Edited)
Oddly, I don't see anything of dancing in the New Testament early church as depicted in the Bible. So was dancing in the east a tradition the church in the east came up with? Then it would not follow that it is needed. And what would be the failure in not realizing that it (form of worship) came from the east. I assume by "form of Christianity" you mean the form or worship? Not a whole lot on form of worship is given in the Bible, which leads me to believe we have great freedom in how we conduct our worship services. Certainly prayer, song, thankfulness to God, and the Word of God would be part of it. Essentially it should be a joyful celebration of God's glory and what He has done for us.

#11 · (Edited)
I saw more references to Christian ballet companies rather than Christian ballets. But I would think that any ballet that somehow relates to certain traditional Christian values or settings might be considered one, but preferably without the name. I would include the innocence of the Nutcracker as possibly being related though only vaguely. I’ve never seen any performance promoted as a Christian ballet, but only as a ballet company. I would think that most composers are trying to reach the widest possible audience rather than being identified with a specific religion.

#13 ·
tis a gift to be simple , tis a gift to be free

How would ballet interpret Copeland's orchestration ? Shaker-ly , I suppose . Men and women in Shaker society have a ritualized family Christian relationship yet with no children born to them . A Gift To Be Simple is their loving dance , a moon dance .

#16 ·
Well, the Christmas Oratorio has been made into a ballet
https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/j-s-bach-christmas-oratorio-ballet-by-john-neumeier-9663/

But:"My choreography is not a religious undertaking. We perform to Bach's music, for a few hours unifying individuals of many different cultural and religious backgrounds. For me, the basic human values expressed through the choreography are always the most important thing. Therefore, in my ballet, Mary is known simply as 'the Mother' and Joseph as 'her Husband'."

Doesn't seem kitschy either, luckily, judging from the pictures.

#22 ·
Reactions: Ingélou
#18 ·
The best Christian contemporary music was unaccepted, the artists made 100 or 300 copies of the records. Hipsters are finding these in thriftshops, branding them with the keyword XIAN, and they are sometimes selling for over $1500 an lp. Even non-religious people are paying that much. There is a huge book called The Archivist that lists some of them, but more are being discovered every month. You can hear a great playlist on YouTube by typing XIAN rock, or XIAN psych, for psychedelia.

#21 · (Edited)
I listen to everything... Amy Grant wrote a terrific number of inspired Christian hits with world-class production values and sound before she took her life in another direction unrelated to religion:

Christian music is so often denigrated because it seeks to be positive in outlook, inspirational, philosophical or religious, and worst "sin" of all, quotes the name of Jesus as representing the Christian faith. Its value is not understood by those disinterested in such areas that are not based on everyday materialism, sexual content, and cynicism. There's been a large market for Christian contemporary music for years and some of it is exceptionally good musically, sometimes just as good, IMO, as anything in commercial pop. But it's generally not as aggressive, and for good reason, because of the inspirational subject matter of most songs, perhaps related more to easy listening but seeking greater depth, sincerity, and something related to spiritual faith.

#23 ·
....the Christian faith. Its value is not understood by those disinterested in such areas that are not based on everyday materialism, sexual content, and cynicism.
l

The value of non-materialism and positive life is well understood . All have heard the Word .

Perhaps the return of Jesus will advance art . All the colors of heaven . Why not dance and play from that reality now ? hmm ? Reality , of course , is more and more inevitable .

#27 ·
Ballet of the Living Water

enter the New Jerusalem
what is it ?
a cube .
and within it is ?
only the peaceful may enter .
there-in is the springhead of the living water , flowing from a cylinder .
and this cube is a new understanding of physical ?
is now and will be .

the harmless may enter its gates even now .
what's to do there ?
play with the crystal river , which is as the tumble of a mountain stream over stones .
how are the people at play ?
huh ? pray and frolic , drink and weep
the orchestra is there frreely
until the silence of dawn
then appears only the awakening and questions of little children , and caring for them
assemble the circle high noon , hand in hand , humming
and guide a parade of colorful , honored , now quiet in amazement children to the center
in one moment all silence will be broken with joy

drink of the good water beyond confusion
stay within the new city come from above or leave as you please .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.