Classical Music Forum banner

What opera CD/DVD have you purchased recently?

410K views 3K replies 201 participants last post by  Eramire156 
#1 ·
i just ordered the Kubelik Meistersinger.
cant wait to hear it?:)

• Love
Reactions: SixFootScowl
#2,456 ·
I should say that the reason I got the '36 NY Tannhäuser was that I thought I already had it. I had been listening to the'41 Act 1 overture and for something to do I thought I would compare it to my '36 overture. Imagine my horror as I realised that I was listening to exactly the same thing. It seems I had purchased the '41 twice from two different sources. Buffoon!!

Now remedied and I now definitely have the '36. Completely different but no less good.

Reactions: Forsooth
#2,464 · (Edited)
OK friends. You talked me into this. :)
I just bought this in "like new" condition for 15 bucks.
I'm really gonna try to like it. :)

Hear that Greg Mitchell? :)

#2,468 ·
Courtesy of Presto Classical and Amazon, Blu Rays of Motzart's Don Giovanni with Erwin Schrott and Anna Netrebko from Baden Baden in 2013 and Donizetti's Anna Bolena again with Netrebko from 2011 in Vienna.

Also the CD set of Britten's Peter Grimes by Sir Colin Davis and the LSO came along for the ride, so this should keep me suitably entertained for a bit :)

#2,472 ·

A quick review of this new set. I think it's an excellent buy at 35 us dollars.
I find the digital sound to be very good.
Some thought was put into this set as the operas and large works have reasonable splits on the cds.
Troyen is the usual 4 disc set up, each act intact.
The other works are on 2 cds each split at the end of acts.
I'm no Berlioz expert (yet :)), but I believe all his major works are here.
16 discs in nicely designed cardboard sleeves with a very fine booklet with notes, synopsis' , track listings, casts and some color photos.
The LSO sounds great and the chorus full and rich sounding.
Some of the singers are somewhat under powered , but ok.
I like that the performances are live. You can feel that.
I'm a Colin Davis fan so I'm very glad to have this.
A great way to get to know Berlioz.
Which I am doing? :)
Thanks Greg Mitchell :tiphat:

Reactions: Tsaraslondon
#2,474 · (Edited)

A great way to get to know Berlioz.
Which I am doing? :)
Thanks Greg Mitchell :tiphat:
Be careful. Once you find a way into Berlioz's soundworld, it can be quite addictive.

Berlioz was, and still is, one of the most original voices in music. It's quite startling when you realise he was a contemporary of Schubert, and that his Symphonie Fantastique was written only three years after Beethoven's death.