Classical Music Forum banner

RIP Neal Peart

4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Room2201974 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Very sad and shocking news. Terrible for his family after being on the road for so many years. I doubt I would have ever listened to Rush if Peart hadn't joined the band. I was not a big hard rock fan as a teenager but Peart's drumming and lyrics made things more interesting. I became a fan in 1976 after purchasing a copy of 2112. RIP, Maestro Peart.

#4 ·
This concert video of Rush performing Subdivisions shows the magic that existed between Rush and their adoring fan base, as the camera looks out over the faces of those of the Rush Generation nodding to one another and mutually affirming their bond with the group and with each other. Though coming to Rush at a relatively advanced age, I too became a fan of the trio, and still listen regularly and attentively; this video is one of my favorites....

#5 ·
My list of favorite Rush tracks:

2112 Suite
Lessons
Xanadu
Cygnus X-1
The entire Hemispheres album
Free Will
Limelight
Red Barchetta
YYZ live version with drum solo from Exit Stage Left
New World Man
Digital Man
Prime Mover
Mission
High Water

I got off the bus after Hold Your Fire. But all of these tunes I happen to think are superb and have provided decades of enjoyment.

Reactions: Strange Magic
#7 ·
Neal pushed himself as a musician, upping his game as he went until he reached the next step in drummer evolution. You've got to admire that tenacity. And his sound was so unique and integral to Rush that I have to agree with Strange Magic here and say that I don't know how you replace that. Then too, not many drummer/lyricists around to apply for that job.

"Static on your frequency
Electrical storm in your veins
Raging at unreachable glory
Straining at invisible chains"

I'm pouring myself a cold one and thinking about a dreamer who learned to steer by the stars.

#8 ·
I'm sure he became a much better drummer over the years especially by the mid 90s with the Buddy Rich projects. He was impressed with Steve Smith's accomplishments and level of playing and sought out his teacher, Freddie Gruber. But for me the quintessential Peart tracks are Xanadu, and La Villa Strangiato. The extended instrumental opening to Xanadu is my favorite thing they ever did.

Reactions: Strange Magic
#11 · (Edited)
Very sad. I count myself lucky by virtue of seeing them twice during what was my favourite Rush era (late 70s/early 80s). Neal was a brilliant musician - I'm normally sceptical with regards to drummers having unfeasibly large 'rock god' kits but one thing is for sure, Neal used every last bit of it.

#14 ·
Indeed, a sad thing. Neil Peart wasn't very old. I initially missed this story because of the other tragic news events related to Canada that happened this week. On any other week, this might have been a bigger Canadian news story. I only found out about it here on this thread.

I’m finding this story a bit spooky. I know it’s merely a coincidence, but it’s just in the last month I have been listening to a lot of Rush. I never did before. I have purchased for the first time, three Rush albums. I’ve never owned a Rush album before. 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. I currently have a book about Rush from my local library which I have been reading. Experiencing Rush A Listeners Guide by Durrell Bowman. And now I find out Neil Peart had died. Oddly coincidental.

There’s been a lot of Canadian death this week. The big news event. And I’ve got a long time colleague who’s father just died. And I’ve got two family members who are not doing well.

I will listen to Rush again this weekend.

#15 ·
^^^^Best wishes, senza sordino. And good luck in your continuing exploration of Rush. Over the years I have met several people who told me that Rush's music--and especially the lyrics--helped them through difficult periods. It is interesting that Neil Peart, and to a certain extent the other two, were interested in the notions of Ayn Rand in their early period. But as their music evolved and as they matured, there was a growing interest in less "ideological" issues and on human emotions and interactions.

#16 ·
^^^^Best wishes, senza sordino. And good luck in your continuing exploration of Rush. I have met several people who told me that Rush's music--especially the lyrics as they evolved--helped them get through difficult periods in their lives. It is interesting that Neil Peart, and to some extent, the other two, were in their youth influenced by Ayn Rand. But their songs gradually became less overtly "ideological" and more involved with other issues, including those of a common humanity.

#20 ·
Rush were the first favorite band I ever had, and probably one of the things that led me to become so interested in music in the first place. Peart's drumming, often at the heart of their sound, was absolutely incredible; as technically proficient as it gets but never without finesse or tact. On top of that, his lyrics are some of my favorite in all of rock music, eloquently penned and passionate in a way that effectively complements the spirit and drive of Rush's music. Peart was a great musician and, from the interviews I've seen of him, a classy guy. May he rest in peace.

#24 ·
^
^
Agreed. The Who should have split in 1978 after the death of Keith Moon.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm almost as well set with Rush albums compared to the Beatles or Zappa, all studio albums and nearly all live ones. But Neil had quite a lot of complicated stories for lyrics. Some failed of course. I tried to decipher most of them, the sci fi ones not so much.

I read a bunch of his books too. He had bicycled in China Asia, other spots in Europe etc. Then he got to his primitive organized tour on the West coast of Africa. When traveling any of those places and getting dinner, I always remember Neil's phrase "rice with junk on top." I was in S Korea a few years back and noticed that I was always hungry afterwards if the meal had no rice. So I got rice with junk on top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.