Page 806 of 810 FirstFirst ... 306706756796802803804805806807808809810 LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,090 of 12144

Thread: What opera are you currently listening to / watching? CD/DVD

  1. #12076
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As a passionate Verdian, there's a lot of operas that I know, but several that I don't. This morning I watched the Metropolitan Opera's premiere performance of Stiffelio (as Verdi originally composed it, before it became Aroldo). Quite a good opera, not too long and it moves along briskly.

    Verdi Stiffelio.jpg

    I'm not really tackling Verdi in any order, but I wonder what will come next. Anyone out there who can help me?

  2. Likes Tsaraslondon, RockyIII, schigolch liked this post
  3. #12077
    Senior Member mikeh375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A Streetcar named Desire by Previn...sexy and luscious harmony.

    4593662.jpg
    Last edited by mikeh375; Jun-23-2019 at 15:48.

  4. Likes Tsaraslondon, RockyIII, Rogerx and 1 others liked this post
  5. #12078
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    As a passionate Verdian, there's a lot of operas that I know, but several that I don't. This morning I watched the Metropolitan Opera's premiere performance of Stiffelio (as Verdi originally composed it, before it became Aroldo). Quite a good opera, not too long and it moves along briskly.

    Verdi Stiffelio.jpg

    I'm not really tackling Verdi in any order, but I wonder what will come next. Anyone out there who can help me?
    Which Verdi operas have you watched so far? I have watched Aroldo, but Stiffelio is sitting in my unwatched pile.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  6. Likes The Conte, Rogerx liked this post
  7. #12079
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    Which Verdi operas have you watched so far? I have watched Aroldo, but Stiffelio is sitting in my unwatched pile.
    Falstaff - Royal Opera House/Carlo Maria Giulini
    La Traviata - Royal Opera House/Sir Georg Solti
    Il Trovatore - The Metropolitan Opera (HD)/Marco Armiliato
    Otello - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Rigoletto - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Aida - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    La Forza Del Destino - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine (the performance with Leontyne Price and Giuseppe Giacomini, not the one with Sharon Sweet and Placido Domingo)
    Ernani - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - Teatro Alla Scala/Riccardo Muti

    I might buy another Falstaff, am thinking of the Zefirelli one, but am open to others. I'm also fascinated by early Verdi. It seems to take me a while to get to middle period operas like Simon Boccanegra and Don Carlos. Maybe it's the length or the complexity of the plot, or both, that are putting me off at the moment. Any guidance (DVDs and research links) would be greatly appreciated.

  8. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  9. #12080
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    Falstaff - Royal Opera House/Carlo Maria Giulini
    La Traviata - Royal Opera House/Sir Georg Solti
    Il Trovatore - The Metropolitan Opera (HD)/Marco Armiliato
    Otello - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Rigoletto - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Aida - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    La Forza Del Destino - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine (the performance with Leontyne Price and Giuseppe Giacomini, not the one with Sharon Sweet and Placido Domingo)
    Ernani - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - Teatro Alla Scala/Riccardo Muti

    I might buy another Falstaff, am thinking of the Zefirelli one, but am open to others. I'm also fascinated by early Verdi. It seems to take me a while to get to middle period operas like Simon Boccanegra and Don Carlos. Maybe it's the length or the complexity of the plot, or both, that are putting me off at the moment. Any guidance (DVDs and research links) would be greatly appreciated.
    You have seen more Verdi operas than I have. I have only been exploring Verdi for a year and a half or so. But I do have three Il Trovatore and eight La Traviata (my most recent craze). So far La Traviata is my favorite.

    What about Oberto?
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Jun-24-2019 at 00:56.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  10. #12081
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    7,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    Falstaff - Royal Opera House/Carlo Maria Giulini
    La Traviata - Royal Opera House/Sir Georg Solti
    Il Trovatore - The Metropolitan Opera (HD)/Marco Armiliato
    Otello - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Rigoletto - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Aida - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    La Forza Del Destino - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine (the performance with Leontyne Price and Giuseppe Giacomini, not the one with Sharon Sweet and Placido Domingo)
    Ernani - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - Teatro Alla Scala/Riccardo Muti

    I might buy another Falstaff, am thinking of the Zefirelli one, but am open to others. I'm also fascinated by early Verdi. It seems to take me a while to get to middle period operas like Simon Boccanegra and Don Carlos. Maybe it's the length or the complexity of the plot, or both, that are putting me off at the moment. Any guidance (DVDs and research links) would be greatly appreciated.
    Get your teeth in to Macbeth and Don Carlo, you wont regret it.

  11. Likes The Conte liked this post
  12. #12082
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You have seen more Verdi operas than I have. I have only been exploring Verdi for a year and a half or so. But I do have three Il Trovatore and eight La Traviata (my most recent craze). So far La Traviata is my favorite.

    That's amazing, I hope that you enjoy Verdi as much as I do. Do you have any of the productions I mentioned?

  13. #12083
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    You have seen more Verdi operas than I have. I have only been exploring Verdi for a year and a half or so. But I do have three Il Trovatore and eight La Traviata (my most recent craze). So far La Traviata is my favorite.
    That's amazing. I hope you enjoy exploring Verdi as much as I do. Do you have any of the productions that I mentioned?

  14. #12084
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    Falstaff - Royal Opera House/Carlo Maria Giulini
    La Traviata - Royal Opera House/Sir Georg Solti
    Il Trovatore - The Metropolitan Opera (HD)/Marco Armiliato
    Otello - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Rigoletto - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Aida - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    La Forza Del Destino - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine (the performance with Leontyne Price and Giuseppe Giacomini, not the one with Sharon Sweet and Placido Domingo)
    Ernani - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Nabucco - Teatro Alla Scala/Riccardo Muti

    I might buy another Falstaff, am thinking of the Zefirelli one, but am open to others. I'm also fascinated by early Verdi. It seems to take me a while to get to middle period operas like Simon Boccanegra and Don Carlos. Maybe it's the length or the complexity of the plot, or both, that are putting me off at the moment. Any guidance (DVDs and research links) would be greatly appreciated.
    If you like early Verdi then you could try I Lombardi or Attila next (but as Roger points out, Macbeth and Don Carlo are essential Verdi).

    N.

  15. #12085
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    If you like early Verdi then you could try I Lombardi or Attila next (but as Roger points out, Macbeth and Don Carlo are essential Verdi).

    N.
    I just subscribed to Medici.tv and there’s Attila on the opera channel from the Mariinsky Theatre with Ildar Abdrazakov in the title role. Valery Gergiev conducts. Re I Lombardi, I have a recording with Placido Domingo and am considering either the DVD from La Scala with Jose Carreras or the one in the Tutto Verdi series from C Major Entertainment.

    What Don Carlo and Macbeth would you recommend on DVD?

  16. #12086
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    7,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Verdi, Don Carlos

    Karajan 3
    Pappano (with Kaufmann) 3
    Levine 2
    Pappano (with Villazon) 1
    Pappano (with Alagna) 1
    Chailly 1



    Macbeth.


    DVD

    Sinopoli 1
    Pappano 1
    Welser-Most 1

    Those came out in a topic I found, see:

    The winners thread: the 2015 Talk Classical Top Recommended Opera CDs and DVDs
    Last edited by Rogerx; Jun-24-2019 at 12:03.

  17. Likes RockyIII liked this post
  18. #12087
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    That's amazing. I hope you enjoy exploring Verdi as much as I do. Do you have any of the productions that I mentioned?
    Of the Verdi you list I only have three

    My favorite Traviata:
    La Traviata - Royal Opera House/Sir Georg Solti

    I have this one too:
    Il Trovatore - The Metropolitan Opera (HD)/Marco Armiliato

    I have a different version of this one and have not watched it yet:
    Aida - The Metropolitan Opera/James Levine
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Jun-24-2019 at 12:46.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  19. #12088
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  20. Likes RockyIII, Rogerx liked this post
  21. #12089
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I was not that excited with this one. Frankly, her looks don't match for Violetta (IMO). Anyway, as it turns out Act 3 is awesome, so I am glad I watched it. Singing is great too.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  22. Likes Rogerx, RockyIII liked this post
  23. #12090
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    7,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  24. Likes The Conte, RockyIII, schigolch liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Listening vs. watching opera
    By Herkku in forum Opera
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: Jan-26-2019, 07:49
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: Apr-26-2017, 22:22
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: Jun-29-2014, 17:45
  4. Replies: 54
    Last Post: Nov-26-2010, 06:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •