Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Beverly Sills Dies.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Frasier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Beverly Sills Dies.

    Heartberoken. A terrible loss.

    Consoled only that her work will live on.

    EF

  2. #2
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is indeed a great loss ... she will be missed by all.
    The Boston Globe has this article about her and her accomplishments.

    Rest in Peace, Beverly ... Soli Deo Gloria
    Kh
    Administrator


  3. Likes SixFootScowl liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Chi_townPhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    S Jersey c. Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello again, Frasier.

    Not exactly the ideal circumstances under which to say "welcome back."

    As for me, I saw the thread title, and gasped. It remains our good fortune that there is an extensive recorded, print, and critical legacy of her artistry.
    The hardest knife ill us'd doth lose his edge. Shakespeare- Sonnet 95

  5. #4
    Junior Member CampOfTheSaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I too was deeply depressed by her death, however, I did find something in my local CD music store that is a good way to remember her by.

    It's a 7 disk CD box set of Donizetti's "The Three Queens" operas, including Anna Bolena, Maria Stuarda, and Roberto Devereux.

    They have all been digitally remastered and they sound great. I think the best is Anna Bolena because not only does Beverly Sills sound great, but there are so many good arias in this opera that really show off her wonderful voice.

    I bought this box set because it was a great deal, and it's a great way to always remember one of the truly great singers of our time.
    "I can't listen to Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata too often. It makes me want to say kind and stupid things to people, and to pat them on the head. But now, in a Revolution, I must beat them on the head, and beat them without mercy."
    ~Vladimir Ilyich Lenin 1918

  6. Likes SixFootScowl liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    14,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CampOfTheSaints View Post
    I too was deeply depressed by her death, however, I did find something in my local CD music store that is a good way to remember her by.

    It's a 7 disk CD box set of Donizetti's "The Three Queens" operas, including Anna Bolena, Maria Stuarda, and Roberto Devereux.

    They have all been digitally remastered and they sound great. I think the best is Anna Bolena because not only does Beverly Sills sound great, but there are so many good arias in this opera that really show off her wonderful voice.

    I bought this box set because it was a great deal, and it's a great way to always remember one of the truly great singers of our time.
    That is a MUST HAVE set for all opera fans of Donizetti. And the Sills Maria Stuarda has both the overture and the prelude. Most just begin with the prelude.

    EDIT: A nice discussion of the three queen operas HERE, including a section with Beverly Sills talking about them.
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Jan-19-2016 at 18:46.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  8. Likes sospiro liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That is a MUST HAVE set for all opera fans of Donizetti.
    Also features Stuart Burrows, whose voice fits this repertoire like a glove.
    Last edited by Reichstag aus LICHT; Jan-19-2016 at 21:01.

  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    38,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That is a MUST HAVE set for all opera fans of Donizetti. And the Sills Maria Stuarda has both the overture and the prelude. Most just begin with the prelude.

    EDIT: A nice discussion of the three queen operas HERE, including a section with Beverly Sills talking about them.
    Very wise words, alas she's not that loved (in public) on this forum.

  11. #8
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Actually I had and have enormous admiration for Sills as an artist and singer. She was an incredibly intelligent, musical and technically gifted singer, and was extremely effective in a variety of roles. I just find that the voice is too light and soubrettish for some of the bel canto roles she sang, such as the Tudor queens and Norma. Because of her intelligence and musicality, she almost convinces, but the voice lacks colour and depth, and I would prefer singers such as Callas, Caballe, Sutherland, Gencer, even Souliotis in these roles.

    I feel the same about another favourite artist of mine, Renata Scotto, who also tackled many of these roles. Another superbly intelligent singer, she lacked grandeur and stature.
    Last edited by Tsaraslondon; Jan-20-2016 at 11:01.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  12. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  13. #9
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    Actually I had and have enormous admiration for Sills as an artist and singer. She was an incredibly intelligent, musical and technically gifted singer, and was extremely effective in a variety of roles. I just find that the voice is too light and soubrettish for some of the bel canto roles she sang, such as the Tudor queens and Norma. Because of her intelligence and musicality, she almost convinces, but the voice lacks colour and depth, and I would prefer singers such as Callas, Caballe, Sutherland, Gencer, even Souliotis in these roles.

    I feel the same about another favourite artist of mine, Renata Scotto, who also tackled many of these roles. Another superbly intelligent singer, she lacked grandeur and stature.
    Sills, her sense of humor always at the ready, said that she was "born with the mind of Birgit Nilsson and the voice of Beverly Sills." She also said "Better ten years as Callas than twenty as anyone else." A small instrument? Hear me roar!

    Plenty of singers want to do repertoire more dramatic than their voices can manage. Sills had a solid technique and succeeded better than most - and knew when to call it quits. A lovable artist.

  14. Likes SixFootScowl, Tsaraslondon liked this post
  15. #10
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    14,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    In her memory I just purchased this DVD:


    Includes performances and interviews from 1930-1980.
    Bonus material includes highlights from La Traviata from 1955--first time release in any format!
    And singing Caro Nome as a girl on an amateur hour program.
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Jan-21-2016 at 02:50.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  16. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  17. #11
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    In her memory I just purchased this DVD:


    Includes performances and interviews from 1930-1980.
    Bonus material includes highlights from La Traviata from 1955--first time release in any format!
    And singing Caro Nome as a girl on an amateur hour program.
    In 1930 she was one year old. How was her coloratura then?

  18. #12
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    14,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    In 1930 she was one year old. How was her coloratura then?
    I don't know about her coloratura, but a quick search of Wikipedia shows the following:

    "At the age of three, Sills won a "Miss Beautiful Baby" contest, in which she sang "The Wedding of Jack and Jill". Beginning at age four, she performed professionally on the Saturday morning radio program, "Rainbow House", as "Bubbles" Silverman."
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Jan-21-2016 at 04:35.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  19. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  20. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    38,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    In her memory I just purchased this DVD:


    Includes performances and interviews from 1930-1980.
    Bonus material includes highlights from La Traviata from 1955--first time release in any format!
    And singing Caro Nome as a girl on an amateur hour program.

    Such a pleasure to watch, bearing in mind the woman has had the most difficult life of them all.
    Two disabled children, not to mention the rude people from the Met she had to deal with.
    One thing stands out though, she brought Milan to silence with her performances

  21. Likes SixFootScowl, Woodduck liked this post
  22. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    38,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For the devoted fans

    http://www.beverlysillsonline.com/

  23. Likes SixFootScowl liked this post
  24. #15
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    14,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    Very wise words, alas she's not that loved (in public) on this forum.
    Yes, and very telling that this thread has so few posts to such a significant and sad event, unless there was another thread on it that took off and this one got left behind.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beverly Sills Gravely Ill
    By Caronome in forum Opera
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun-30-2007, 20:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •