Classical Music Forum banner

What opera CD/DVD have you purchased recently?

410K views 3K replies 201 participants last post by  Eramire156 
#1 ·
i just ordered the Kubelik Meistersinger.
cant wait to hear it?:)

• Love
Reactions: SixFootScowl
#2,807 · (Edited)
I did the first act of this recording of Tristan und Isolde. It is not a "stellar" cast but I enjoy Goodall's approach and pacing. Linda Esther Gray represents Isolde's passionate nature better than some other more famous "valkyries" that have sung the role. :lol: Howell brings a wonderfully compassionate Marke and cannot help but sing beautifully. Mitchinson is an acquired taste but better than many other recorded Tristans as he does not sound strangulated. Wilkens is adequate but does not spoil the proceedings. The WNO may not be the BPO, the VPO, etc. etc. but the playing is high. Very enjoyable.

Vertebrate Organism Font Terrestrial plant Poster

#2,808 ·
I did the first act of this recording of Tristan und Isolde. It is not a "stellar" cast but I enjoy Goodall's approach and pacing. Linda Esther Gray represents Isolde's passionate nature better than some other more famous "valkyries" that have sung the role. :lol: Howell brings a wonderfully compassionate Marke and cannot help but sing beautifully. Mitchinson is an acquired taste but better than many other recorded Tristans as he does not sound strangulated. Wilkens is adequate but does not spoil the proceedings. The WNO may not be the BPO, the VPO, etc. etc. but the playing is high. Very enjoyable.

View attachment 138065
I like this recording, especially Linda Esther Gray. Mind you, it is very slow.

#2,812 ·
I went on a recent music binge I'm afraid. Specifically, I've been on a major french opera kick.

Gounod: Mireille
Gluck: Iphigenie en Tauride
Halevy: La Reine de Chypre (WHY isn't this better known? Opera Francais has a gorgeous recording)
Massenet: Cendrillon
Diana Damrau: Grand Opera (Meyerbeer works)
Veronique Gens (I'm currently crazy about her) :Nuit d'etoiles . I guess it's not exactly opera, but it's French melodies and kind of fits with my other purchases.

Non-french:
Rimsky Korsakov: Sadko
Wagner: Walkure, Solti.
Mozart: Clemenza Di Tito, Renee Jacobs.

(and on top of that Jordi Savall's Beethoven 3 and numerous non classical purchases lately!)

#2,818 ·
Agree with dennisdeems, and there is probably not a BETTER recording of this work. IMO, "Lulu" is a bit LONG, and maybe overdrawn (and anyone can disagree with this assessment). Boulez also recorded "Wozzeck", maybe to better effect, overall ... I don't know. Of course, the Boulez "Wozzeck" is from a long-ago LP set ... and further-back, was an LP reissue of Mitropoulos/Met Opera, in the same opera. Well, obviously, am not focusing on the title of this thread (CD/DVD), but let's know that not EVERYTHING (of the best) can be contained on a one (CD/DVD) form.

#2,819 ·

Got this for 8 bucks, like new, on ebay!!!! Yay! :)

Reactions: Barbebleu
#2,831 · (Edited)
I earned about $3 in ebay bucks and it was burning a hole in my pocket, so I applied it to this. Not an opera but is operatic, so...

1. Il Barbiere di Siviglia: Largo al factotum
2. Il Barbiere di Siviglia: Dunque io son... Tu non m'inganni?
3. Il Barbiere di Siviglia: Una voce poco fa - Io sono docile
4. La Favorita: Ebben, cosi` si narra! - Quando le soglie paterne
5. La Favorita: Fia dunque vero, oh ciel! - O mio Fernando
6. La Favorita: Ma de' malvagi invan - Vien, Leonora
7. The Tsar's Bride: Zachem ty? Znat' nye lyubish
8. The Tsar's Bride: Vot da chevo ya dashla, Grigori
9. The Tsar's Bride: S uma neydot krasavitsa
10. Samson et Dalila: J'ai gravi la montagne

#2,835 ·
Lohengrin - La Scala, Milan 1965. Sawallisch, Thomas, Bjoner, Neidlinger, Varnay, Crass, Krause. Btw it’s a download. My preferred medium these days. Well, it’s my wife’s preferred medium because it doesn’t clutter the house!:D

Reactions: vincula
#2,840 ·
I decided I ought to have this recording of Die Zauberflöte for Fritz Wunderlich after decades of resisting it because of the unsatisfactory female cast (in my view).

View attachment 142003
Wunderlich is reason enough to have it, but I don't think the female cast is that bad. There are certainly better Paminas than Lear (Margaret Price, Te Kanawa, Seefried, Popp for instance) but Peters is one of the better Queens. At least she sounds dangerous.

Reactions: MAS
#2,850 ·

Fritz Stiedry conducts Verdi's Don Carlo in 1952. Richard Tucker as Don Carlo, Delia Rigal as Elisabeth, Paolo Silveri as Rodrigo di Posa, Fedora Barbieri as Eboli, Jerome Hines as Philippo II and Hans Hotter as the Grand Inquisitor.

If the Walhall edition of the 1961 Performance is noble, the 1952 is completely thrilling.

Around 13€, plus other orchestral purchases.

#2,851 ·

Finally found one of those "special numbered editions" in like new condition for 15 usd on ebay. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!
It's my favorite Meister.