Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Favorite Baroque Era Violin Concerto Cycles

  1. #1
    Senior Member neoshredder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Favorite Baroque Era Violin Concerto Cycles

    What are some of your favorite baroque era Violin Concerto cycles? 4 or more violin concertos preferred to be a cycle imo. Vivaldi obviously is on the top of my list but also interested in some of the less popular cycles. Preferred recordings would be nice as well.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jurianbai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    sure Tartini violin concerto are my favorite Baroque era vc.

  3. Likes neoshredder liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Arsakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    One of the first CDs I bought and its a must buy.
    Specially I love:
    La Stravaganza, Op.4, Concerto No. 2 in E minor, RV 279
    La Stravaganza, Op.4, Concerto No. 4 in A minor, RV 357

    - Honorable mention of 'Autumn' of Vivaldi.
    Last edited by Arsakes; Jun-13-2012 at 04:54.

  5. #4
    Senior Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair
    Posts
    3,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neoshredder View Post
    What are some of your favorite baroque era Violin Concerto cycles? 4 or more violin concertos preferred to be a cycle imo. Vivaldi obviously is on the top of my list but also interested in some of the less popular cycles. Preferred recordings would be nice as well.
    I thought I'll narrow it down with a "theme" by mentioning your Avatar's concerti grossi format (the multi-movement one instead of the three movement Vivaldian format), referring to the "Opus 6" sets. The "classic" opus 6 set written by your Avatar, and the other opus 6 set based on your Avatar's overall format but embellished by my Avatar. Other composers include Charles Avison (1707-1770), who also wrote an opus 6 set of 12. Locatelli, Gemaniani and others all wrote concerti grossi in the Corellian format.










  6. Likes jurianbai, hawk liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member neoshredder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've already done my research on Concerti Grossi. Violin Concertos are a little different. Violin takes the lead more obviously. So yeah I'll definitely check out Tartini, Avison, more Vivaldi, as well as more recordings of Geminiani and Locatelli for Concerti Grossi.

  8. Likes presto liked this post
  9. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These concertos on this LP. It also happened to be the first record I ever bought.


  10. Likes Arsakes liked this post
  11. #7
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Music, I feel, must be emotional first and intellectual second."
    - Maurice Ravel

  12. #8
    Senior Member neoshredder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    These concertos on this LP. It also happened to be the first record I ever bought.

    Better than Biondi's version? The Four Seasons happened to be first classical cd I ever bought for my enjoyment. It always brings special memories for me. But maybe I've heard them too many times at this point.

  13. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neoshredder View Post
    Better than Biondi's version? The Four Seasons happened to be first classical cd I ever bought for my enjoyment. It always brings special memories for me. But maybe I've heard them too many times at this point.
    I haven't heard the Fabio Biondi version.

  14. #10
    Senior Member presto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neoshredder View Post
    I've already done my research on Concerti Grossi. Violin Concertos are a little different. Violin takes the lead more obviously. So yeah I'll definitely check out Tartini, Avison, more Vivaldi, as well as more recordings of Geminiani and Locatelli for Concerti Grossi.
    I would say a very different form, I love searching out sets of Concerti Grossi from the 18th century.
    I often find these more rewarding than the Violin Concertos of the same period.
    Geminiani’s Concerti Grossi are particularly fine, I much rather listen to them than Vivaldi’s Violin concertos!

  15. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    I thought I'll narrow it down with a "theme" by mentioning your Avatar's concerti grossi format (the multi-movement one instead of the three movement Vivaldian format), referring to the "Opus 6" sets. The "classic" opus 6 set written by your Avatar, and the other opus 6 set based on your Avatar's overall format but embellished by my Avatar. Other composers include Charles Avison (1707-1770), who also wrote an opus 6 set of 12. Locatelli, Gemaniani and others all wrote concerti grossi in the Corellian format.










    I too am fond of Corelli, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi et al. in this area, so thanks for the recommendations. To avoid a heavy burden on the wallet however, is there one from the above that you would recommend as particularly fitting the bill, please?

  16. #12
    Senior Member presto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KRoad View Post
    I too am fond of Corelli, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi et al. in this area, so thanks for the recommendations. To avoid a heavy burden on the wallet however, is there one from the above that you would recommend as particularly fitting the bill, please?
    I would go for the Geminiani, I keep playing these works and never get tired of them!

  17. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bach's are amazing, but only 3 remain incl. the double. The BWV 1052+1056 reconstructions are very nice, though.

    At the top of the heap would be Vivaldi. He's often too reviled, but I love his composition style to bits. Full of energy, so vibrant/radiant. It took proper HIP recordings for me to really appreciate him, though, as a poor interpretation can just make him sound same-ish.

    My favorites:
    - L'Estro Armonico, with Fabio Biondi/Europa Galante
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ2b9rF_zN8[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYIBkC-pqzQ[/yt]

    - La Stravaganza, with Rachel Podger/Arte Dei Suonatori
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6II_iQD9ZM0[/yt]

    - Il Cimento Dell'Armonia E Dell'Inventione (incl. 4 seasons), with Enrico Onofri/Giovanni Antonini/Il Giardino Armonico
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY1XTGqu2ps[/yt]

    - Various recordings with Giuliano Carmignola/Andrea Marcon/Venice Baroque Orchestra (he has 3 CD's of various concertos, 1 for double concertos, 1 with 4 seasons + 3 other concertos)
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBfkZMMS1c[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKvW78snI8[/yt]

    There's something about the sound of the baroque violin that just mesmerizes me.
    Last edited by Llyranor; Jun-14-2012 at 20:36.

  18. #14
    Senior Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair
    Posts
    3,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KRoad View Post
    I too am fond of Corelli, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi et al. in this area, so thanks for the recommendations. To avoid a heavy burden on the wallet however, is there one from the above that you would recommend as particularly fitting the bill, please?
    You could pick the elegant and mannered sounding Charles Avison sets from budget label Naxos to begin with. Or the Locatelli set L'Arte del Violino" with very dazzling virtuosity, if you prefer. Enjoy!

    (Of course, I would first recommend Handel's opus 6 but I am assuming you already have that).



  19. #15
    Senior Member jurianbai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think need to mentioned this highly artisctic Baroque/Classical (?) violin concerto by Veracini, one of my favorite violinist/composer in the era.


    amazon > http://amzn.to/LJKLVG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite Violin Concerto Recordings
    By jjfan in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Apr-01-2013, 21:42
  2. Your favorite Beethoven violin concerto recording?
    By Itullian in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb-27-2012, 02:40
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov-07-2011, 20:51
  4. Favorite Baroque HIP Ensemble
    By humanbean in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Sep-28-2011, 08:35
  5. Beethoven Violin Concerto D major op.61 arr. piano & violin
    By DesignLov3 in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan-05-2011, 03:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •