Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Listening Vol VII

1M views 26K replies 235 participants last post by  Art Rock 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Listening Vol VII

A new thread for the same subject matter.

The previous thread, Current Listening Vol VI has become another huge file and slow to load. Since this particular thread is the most popular one on the site, we have created this new volume to continue posting.

Taggart,
Senior Moderator

Links to previous Current Listening threads:
Current Listening Vol I
Current Listening Vol II
Current Listening Vol III
Current Listening Vol IV
Current Listening Vol V
Current Listening Vol VI

#1,245 · (Edited)
A fair bit of todays listening will be taken up listening to the next leg of my Opera box set challenge for 2021. However with it being Saturday it will be interspersed with Rugby and Football games on tv.

Wagner, Tannhäuser - René Kollo (Tannhauser), Helga Dernesch (Elisabeth), Christa Ludwig (Venus), Victor Braun (Wolfram), Manfred Jungwirth (Biterolf), Hans Sotin (Hermann), Kurt Equiluz (Heinrich), Norman Bailey (Reinmar)
Wiener Staatsopernchor & Wiener Philharmoniker, Sir Georg Solti.

#1,248 · (Edited)
LISZT-BERLIOZ MARATHON FROM MÜPA today
These are only the orchestral concerts.

1PM
MÁV Symphony Orchestra with Zoltán Fejérvári
Mephisto Waltz No. 1
Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major

3:30PM
Danubia Orchestra Óbuda with József Balog
Piano Concerto No. 2 in A major
Prometheus - symphonic poem

5:30PM
Győr Philharmonic Orchestra
Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14

7PM
Pannon Philharmonic
Berlioz: Harold en Italie, Op. 16

9PM
Budapest Festival Orchestra with Nicolas Namoradze
Legend No. 2 (in E major) (Saint Francis of Paola Walking on the Waves)
Totentanz
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

#1,249 · (Edited)
Aleksandr Skryabin - various works part four for late morning and early afternoon

Symphony no.3 [Le Divin Poeme] for orchestra op.43 (1902-04):
Le Poème de l'extase - symphonic poem for orchestra op.54 (1905-08):

Huit études for piano op.42 (1903):
Étude for piano op.49 no.1 from Trois morceaux for piano op.49 (1905):

Prélude in E-flat for piano op.45 no.3 from Trois morceaux for piano op.45 (1904):
Quatre préludes for piano op.48 (1905):
Prélude in F for piano op.49 no.2 from Trois morceaux for piano op.49 (1905):
Prélude in A-minor for piano op.51 no.2 from Quatre morceaux for piano op.51 (1906):

Deux poèmes for piano op.32 (1903):
Poème tragique for piano op.34 (1903):
Poème Satanique for piano op.36 (1903)
Poème for piano op.41 (1903):
Deux poèmes for piano op.44 (1904):
Feuillet d'album in E-flat for piano op.45 no.1 from Trois morceaux for piano op.45 (1904):
Poème fantasque in C for piano op.45 no.2 from Trois morceaux for piano op.45 (1904):
Scherzo for piano op.46 (1905):
Quasi valse in F for piano op.47 (1905):
Rêverie in C for piano op.49 no.3 from Trois morceaux for piano op.49 (1905):
Fragilité for piano op.51 no.1 from Quatre morceaux for piano op.51 (1906):
Poème ailé for piano op.51 no.3 from Quatre morceaux for piano op.51 (1906):
Danse languide for piano op.51 no.4 from Quatre morceaux for piano op.51 (1906):
Trois morceaux for piano op.52 (1907):

Piano Sonata no.5 in F-sharp op.53 (1907):

#1,252 ·
Debussy -

Nocturnes
Première Rhapsodie
Jeux
La Mer

The Cleveland Orchestra, conducted by Pierre Boulez
The Cleveland Orchestra Chorus, chorus master Gareth Morrell

These are such beautiful, graceful pieces! :)
The Boulez we all love. Very fine performance with the Clevelanders, which, for me always, is Americas most unstable high class SO. (this means > conductor's driven orchestra...) Splendid piece of music.

Reactions: Knorf and ELbowe
#1,253 · (Edited)
Corelli - Violin Sonatas Opus 5, disk 1. Enrico Gatti, Gaetano Nasillo, Guido Morini

View attachment 150253

French Baroque Concertos - Buffardin, Boismortier, Corrette, Quentin and Blavet.

Musica Antiqua Köln, Reinhard Goebel.

View attachment 150254
The French Baroque, Music Antiqua Koln, Reinhard Goebel CD is an absolute corker. One of the best CDs of the genre ever released. I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone who loves music, of any stripe ......

#1,256 · (Edited)
Cloud Sky Light People in nature Nature

Because Hurwitz has just done a video on him, and because I've had these recordings for a while and never bothered to listen to them!

Erwin Schulhoff, Symphony No. 2
James Conlon, Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

Not the actual recordings discussed by Hurwitz, but definitely worth a listen. This one is actually a boxed set (!) which contains 6 CDs-worth of orchestral and chamber music and which I'm going to sample more from once the 2nd Symphony is done (it's only a 20-minuter)

Edited to add: The 1921 Suite for Chamber Orchestra that appears on disc 1 of the set, just after Symphony No. 2 is great fun: reminds me of the jazzy bits in Ravel's L'Enfant et les Sortileges (How is your Mug, Keng-ca-fou etc)

Also edited to add: In what world does it make sense for the price of a FLAC download to be double the cost of posting the physical CDs to someone?! I was wondering why I'd ended up with a boxed set instead of a pile of FLACs to tag up. This would be the reason why!

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

#1,257 ·
Pierre Boulez: Répons
Ensemble InterContemporain, Pierre Boulez

Such a fantastic, gorgeous piece, one also hugely rewarding to repeated listens.

Really, never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I did a few days ago. I haven't studied or read about the piece, just listen and listen again. While you listen, you learn this new language.
It is just beautiful but I understand that there are still people who think that this is not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.