Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Listening Vol VII

1M views 26K replies 235 participants last post by  Art Rock 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Listening Vol VII

A new thread for the same subject matter.

The previous thread, Current Listening Vol VI has become another huge file and slow to load. Since this particular thread is the most popular one on the site, we have created this new volume to continue posting.

Taggart,
Senior Moderator

Links to previous Current Listening threads:
Current Listening Vol I
Current Listening Vol II
Current Listening Vol III
Current Listening Vol IV
Current Listening Vol V
Current Listening Vol VI

#2,121 ·
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4

#2,126 ·
Morton Gould's Spirituals for Orchestra
Arthur Fagen, ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra

I'm sure someone posted these a week or two ago (maybe more recent). I can't find the post now. But it inspired me to go out and buy this CD and I'm very happy I did so! So thank you to whoever it was that was playing this stuff earlier!
That was me. And you're welcome!

#2,132 ·
Bruckner 9

#2,134 ·
Bright Sheng: H'un
Gerard Schwarz, New York Chamber Symphony

Font Musical instrument Publication Electric blue Poster

The CD's major piece is ''H'un'' (1987), a bleak, despairing and (finally) spiritually affirmative musical diary of the horrors Sheng experienced as an artist living in China during Chairman Mao's dreaded Cultural Revolution.

Recognizably derived from Chinese folk materials are the 1990 ''The Stream Flows,'' for solo violin, and Three Chinese Love Songs, for soprano, viola and piano, written for Leonard Bernstein`s 70th birthday in 1988. The sparing, delicate violin pieces and love songs (their wide-leaping intervals beautifully sung by the dulcet Lisa Saffer, accompanied by violist Paul Neubauer and pianist Sheng) reflect a deep and touching nostalgia for the composer's Chinese motherland.

Completing the disc is ''My Song'' (1988), a four-movement piano suite reconciling Eastern and Western gestures, expertly played by its dedicatee, Peter Serkin. For that matter, all these performances add up to a first-class production. (Chicago Tribune)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.