Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Listening Vol VII

1M views 26K replies 235 participants last post by  Art Rock 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Listening Vol VII

A new thread for the same subject matter.

The previous thread, Current Listening Vol VI has become another huge file and slow to load. Since this particular thread is the most popular one on the site, we have created this new volume to continue posting.

Taggart,
Senior Moderator

Links to previous Current Listening threads:
Current Listening Vol I
Current Listening Vol II
Current Listening Vol III
Current Listening Vol IV
Current Listening Vol V
Current Listening Vol VI

#2,821 · (Edited)
Bach, Motets

This is recorded two to a part with two female sopranos. It reminds me of the Hilliard's recording of the Byrd masses; small-scale, with a greater sense of intimacy. I have no complaint with the singing; they are all spot on.

The problem I personally have with his is, in its smaller forces, individuals tend to be more expressive, and there is an emphasis on beauty of line, so this is pretty, but some motets require liveliness over beauty, like Der Geist Hilft, with its polychoral singing. But that may not be a problem for others.

I think this would make a nice second recording for someone who already has a full-choir recording.

Font Tints and shades Asphalt Monochrome photography Monochrome

#2,822 · (Edited)
Michael Kibblewhite leading The Hertfordshire Chorus, East London Chorus, Harlow Chorus, and The London Philharmonic in Sir Arthur Bliss's "Morning Heroes":

View attachment 151101
"God caught them even before they fell ......."

Your post prompted me to listen to this on Qobuz. I had passed it over a number of years ago because I did not like Brian Blessed's performance as orator and the Charles Groves' direction of his orchestra was in my opinion superior to Kibblewhite's, of his.

I really am at a loss as to what on Earth I was thinking! Blessed is imperious and the LPO and amateur (semi pro?) choruses are incandescent! I think I may need to acquire a third* recording of this Bliss masterpiece!

*Last year I acquired the highly acclaimed BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Samuel West (orator) recording on Chandos as my addition to the Groves. After being ecstatic about it, I now find it dull!!!

EDIT: I've just read the MusicWeb International review by Terry Barfoot. He says that Brian Blessed 'goes over the top'. I think that's what I felt at the time. On relistening some years later, I no longer think he does. Actually, on further, further listening, that's not true, he does! But so what? No-one complains when he goes over the top in Shakespeare.

Reactions: Malx and Joe B
#2,824 ·
Schubert: Symphonies
Harnoncourt, Chamber Orchestra of Europe

This was recommended in an ArkivMusic email, and the whole set is very good quality. The crowning achievements among them for me are the 2nd, 9th, and the first movement of the 8th/Unfinished.

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 1
Abbado, London Symphony Orchestra

Thanks to D Smith for mentioning this one to me as part of the complete symphonies and overtures set. These performers do justice to an amazing piece of work, and I would happily listen to this anytime.

#2,825 · (Edited)
Have you compared this with the latest CD remaster?
This is the latest.

The one issued last year with a BluRay audio is the exact same master as the one on the CDs and Blu Ray audio disc in this box.

Last year's release, and the similar Karajan Die Walküre, were mistakenly advertised by some retailers as being freshly remastered, when in reality they were just unbundled from their prior incarnstion.

#2,826 ·
[Referring to the Blu-Ray Disc "pure audio" edition of the complete DG recording of Carlos Kleiber]

I have not done this with Der Freischütz specifically, but I did with a number of the symphonies, and there's little doubt in my mind that the Blu-ray Disc edition is the best these recordings have ever sounded compared to any previous format.
Ssdly DG did not freshly remaster any of the contents of this box when they issued.
Yes, the sound of the high resolution BRA disc is better than ever, but some of them could be far better.

#2,828 ·
Recent listening.

Holst: Planets. Karajan, Vienna. I watched the Perseverance landing live (from JPL) and it was on the edge of your seat exciting. So I had to celebrate with Holst. This recording has the best 'Mars' i've heard.

Prokofiev: Violin Concertos 1 & 2. Solo Violin Sonata. Gil Shaham, Previn, LSO.

Haydn: Symphonies 70, 73, 86, 93, 96, 97. Adam Fischer, Austro-Hungarian Orchestra.

Mahler: Symphony No. 5. Karajan Berlin. This performance is frowned upon in some circles but it was my introduction to this work (on vinyl) and remains a favourite.

Verdi: Requiem. Mirella Freni, Christa Ludwig, Carlo Cossuta, Nicolai Ghiaurov, Wiener Singveren, Berlin Philharmonic, Karajan. This is my favourite group of soloists in Verdi's requiem.

#2,831 ·
Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie, Op. 64
Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan

Unbelievably gorgeous performance, and I think I like this piece rather better than I once did.

Exactly what I was thinking a few days ago when I listened to this recording. Karajan makes the case for this work and delivers an outstanding performance. A work I never overly cared for snapped into focus and I think it must rank as a highly regarded favourite.

Reactions: Malx
#2,836 ·
I don't know if you've seen this, but Michael Tilson Thomas has a very interesting video on this symphony.

Thanks a lot for the heads up regarding the documentary and filmed concert (from the BBC Proms). Excellent overview of the atmosphere, turmoil, political drama, musical drama and music surrounding Shostakovich and his 5th symphony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.