Classical Music Forum banner

Please select one(s) with which you are most familiar or like the best

• Theo Brandmuller's 1981 Concerto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marcel Landowski's 1993 Symphonie Concertante

• Atsutada Otaka's 1999 Fantasy for Organ & Orch

Do you have any favorite works for Organ & Orchestra from the 1980s & 1990s?

8K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Krummhorn 
#1 ·
Concertante-type pieces for Organ and Orchestra are not frequently encountered.

Searching through my music collection, I've found that almost all the Organ (and Organ-related) works with orchestra that I have on disc are from the 1980s & '90s.

I'm listing 7 such titles, though I'm certain there's more out there to discover.

TC members: feel free to add any similar works to this thread for discussion and/or vote on which pieces you are familiar with (or appreciate the most).

#3 · (Edited)
Organ and orchestra is such an unhappy combination. The strings invariably sound weedy and inadequate in the company of the organ which has to rein back anyway to avoid drowning the orchestra.

Is it not significant that the greatest composer for the organ in the twentieth century (Messiaen) wrote nothing for organ and orchestra?

And something tells me, Prodromides, that you know perfectly well that noone else has heard any of the works you cite. So...

#6 ·
Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Marchant!

Yeah - organ with orchestra is not an ideal relationship. Nonetheless, some of my favorite works with organ are chamber pieces (such as those written for trumpet and organ, or organ accompanied by a brass ensemble) moreso than solo organ.

True, Messiaen was a master of the organ (and of colour). Messiaen also did not write a concerto for Ondes Martenot & Orchestra, either - yet this does not mean I don't enjoy listening to such Ondes concerti (like the one written by Marcel Landowski).

On the subject of Landowski, his Symphonie Concertante for organ and orchestra was recorded and released (however fleetingly) on EMI Classics. A significant amount of recordings on Landowski works have surfaced on the Erato label throughout the decades, so I would hope that I'm not the only person on the globe (plus not the only member here @ TC) who has purchased these albums.

All of the works I mention above have been issued onto CD; there's still a possibility that some TC member somewhere has got one of more of the above just as I do...

#4 ·
I voted "other" because I have grown very fond of Aaron Copland's Symphony For Organ And Orchestra {First Symphony}, and was rather surpried not to see it included in this poll. I also wonder why Camille Saint-Saens Organ Symphony {Third Symphony} was omitted.

#12 ·
Hindemith composed an Organ Concerto towards the end of his life. I do like it but it's not my favourite concertante work of his.

#14 ·
The OP's dates spec is untenable. Mozart accomplished the juxtaposition admirably, at a young age.

The SS Sym3 really doesn't count; the organ has an obbligato part, if that.

#15 ·
Well, no, I'd not heard of the pieces...but I did do some research on YT, & have now found the Krenek (which will never become a favourite!), and Landowski's Ondes Martenot concerto, which is just fine. Also now listening to the Escaich adagio, which is lovely !
So, can't contribute to your poll, but do thank you for throwing up some research avenues !

#29 · (Edited)
I've only just noticed that Mr. Anthony Korf - who appears to have joined TC merely to post the above into this thread - is a co-founder of the Riverside Symphony who recorded an album of music by Marius Constant.

Realizing this clip is not directly related to organ concertos, I'm nonetheless glad for the (seemingly) slight connection between the input within TC thread content and visiting professionals programming concerts and/or producing recordings.

#17 ·
I have the Constant Barrel Organ Concerto (Constant really needs to be better known) but I voted for the Schuller because of its raw power.

#21 ·
These are before the 80's, but my favorites are Joseph Jongen's "Symphonie Concertante for Organ and Orchestra and Camille Saint-Saenz Organ Symphony #3 "Organ". These are very difficult pieces and very beautiful. Jeremy Marchant, you make a good point, though, as to Messiaen. That was probably due more to his personal beliefs on the subject. But he is one of my favorite composers for organ literature, and his music is beautiful, but it takes a tremendous amount of skill and energy to play his literature. The Disney organ sounds good with an orchestra as does the CB Fisk in Segerstrom Center.

#26 ·
Petr Eben - Organ Concerto no. 2 (1988)
William Mathias - Organ Concerto, op. 91 (1984)
Kalevi Aho - Symphony no. 8 for Organ & Orchestra (1993)
Alun Hoddinott - Symphony no. 7 for Organ & Orchestra, op. 137 (1989)

I`m not sure how concertante the latter two are but I thought they worth a mention. I don`t think the two works by the Welshmen were commercially recorded. Fortunately, there are live performances for both of them on YouTube. Unfortunately, they are not very good. :)

I like all these works but Krenek is my favourite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.