Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Michael Haydn Requiem

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Michael Haydn Requiem

    I've just discovered this incredible work, and I'm surprised it hasn't been recorded more.

    Honestly, if historians suddenly discovered that Mozart actually lived to 1793, and that he wrote another Requiem in 1792, and this was it, I would have believed it.

    Just between last night and this morning I've been listening to this recording on Youtube: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Haydn-...I2RP1P9CA04C0O

    I will be purchasing this recording as soon as I verify that I can afford it (I've spent over $200 this month on music CDs/DVDs).

    Here is the first part on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYNeuS8P0k
    Last edited by macgeek2005; Jul-23-2012 at 14:07.

  2. Likes ComposerOfAvantGarde, Philip, pjang23 liked this post
  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You see? Mozart's OVERRATED.

  4. Likes Renaissance liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    You see? Mozart's OVERRATED.
    I've been advised not to bother replying to the things you post, but I can't help myself.

    1. I do not have so much faith in my own musical education that I presume that whenever I perceive things to be of equivalence, that that means they actually are. I trust Herbert von Karajan, Riccardo Muti, Simon Rattle et al. to know whether this Requiem is actually on par with Mozart's masterworks, because they understand music much deeper than I do, and have studied the scores in depth.

    2. If M. Haydn's Requiem is as masterful a work as some of Mozart's greatest, it still makes sense that Mozart is much more famous, because Mozart mastered every genre, and output a ridiculous amount of music.

  6. #4
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    It's been on my "to listen to" pile for a while - I'll move it up a notch.

  7. Likes Bas liked this post
  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It really does also have many surface similarities to Mozart's requiem. Many, unmistakeable similarities. The rhythm of the "Quam olim abraham" (and the fact that it's a fugue)... the texture/harmonies at the very beginning.... there are others that I can't recall right now. I've only heard it twice so far.

  9. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
    I've been advised not to bother replying to the things you post, but I can't help myself.

    1. I do not have so much faith in my own musical education that I presume that whenever I perceive things to be of equivalence, that that means they actually are. I trust Herbert von Karajan, Riccardo Muti, Simon Rattle et al. to know whether this Requiem is actually on par with Mozart's masterworks, because they understand music much deeper than I do, and have studied the scores in depth.

    2. If M. Haydn's Requiem is as masterful a work as some of Mozart's greatest, it still makes sense that Mozart is much more famous, because Mozart mastered every genre, and output a ridiculous amount of music.
    Ha, it was just a light-hearted comment about how Mozart's requiem is so much more famous than most others. Yes I agree with the stuff you said there and I'm surprised you took my comment so seriously. I like both the Mozart and the M. Haydn requiems and I just think that Mozart's music overshadows so much other music composed in the second half of the 18th century.

    By the way, who advised you not to reply to my posts?

  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    Ha, it was just a light-hearted comment about how Mozart's requiem is so much more famous than most others. Yes I agree with the stuff you said there and I'm surprised you took my comment so seriously. I like both the Mozart and the M. Haydn requiems and I just think that Mozart's music overshadows so much other music composed in the second half of the 18th century.

    By the way, who advised you not to reply to my posts?
    I don't remember, it was in another thread. It wasn't a private message or anything. :P

  11. #8
    Senior Member NightHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the post - I just ordered the recording of the MHaydn, and also the Zelenka Requiem - Zelenka was recently praised by a number of TC members and I've never heard a note.

    I listened to the Youtube clip of the Introitus of the Requiem - wonderful choral writing (!) and the 'walking bass', surprising at first, worked to propel the text with an air of the inexorable nature of the event itself.



    Quote Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
    I've just discovered this incredible work, and I'm surprised it hasn't been recorded more.

    Honestly, if historians suddenly discovered that Mozart actually lived to 1793, and that he wrote another Requiem in 1792, and this was it, I would have believed it.

    Just between last night and this morning I've been listening to this recording on Youtube: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Haydn-...I2RP1P9CA04C0O

    I will be purchasing this recording as soon as I verify that I can afford it (I've spent over $200 this month on music CDs/DVDs).

    Here is the first part on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYNeuS8P0k

  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm listening to it right now. I can just say it seems awesomely well written. And quite deep.

    I like your conception of the role of the bass line in the Introitus, NightHawk.

  13. #10
    Senior Member StevenOBrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mozart's requiem is actually modeled on Haydn's C minor requiem. I've been listening to his much lesser known and incomplete B-flat major requiem a lot recently, and I have to say I personally prefer it to the earlier C minor one. It's very interesting. I'm a little gutted that there's very little information available on it.

    You can listen to fragments of it using the player on this page. I recommend the Dies Irae and the Confutatis: http://www.carus-verlag.com/index.ph...Nummer=8335300
    Last edited by StevenOBrien; Jul-23-2012 at 21:16.

  14. Likes ComposerOfAvantGarde liked this post
  15. #11
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would be sceptical that M haydn's requiem is anywhere near M work. I agree with the previous comment along the lines that karjan et al would have paid it some attention if it was so worthy. However - I know that M esteemed M haydn and I do look forward to listening to it. I heard some of his horn concertos - which did not match M peerless works - but neverthelss were very impressive.

  16. #12
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post

    Honestly, if historians suddenly discovered that Mozart actually lived to 1793, and that he wrote another Requiem in 1792, and this was it, I would have believed it.

    Then you don't know Mozart.

  17. Likes ComposerOfAvantGarde liked this post
  18. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I received the M. Haydn Requiem in the mail yesterday and have listened to the entire thing SIX times since importing it into my iTunes yesterday afternoon. It is a masterpiece. It is no lesser than the Mozart in any way! And I know Mozart very, very well.

  19. Likes ComposerOfAvantGarde liked this post
  20. #14
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
    I received the M. Haydn Requiem in the mail yesterday and have listened to the entire thing SIX times since importing it into my iTunes yesterday afternoon. It is a masterpiece. It is no lesser than the Mozart in any way! And I know Mozart very, very well.
    I wonder why it is not extensively recorded. I will listen today on youtube.

  21. #15
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On youtube a lot of people are saying it is as good as k626 - then again - on youtube loads of people say that salieri is better than M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Michael Haydn
    By clavichorder in forum Composer Guestbooks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Oct-05-2021, 06:58
  2. Michael Harrison
    By Polednice in forum Composer Guestbooks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun-15-2016, 05:56
  3. Johann Michael Haydn...Related to ?
    By hawk in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan-02-2012, 16:19
  4. Michael Gandolfi
    By Mirror Image in forum Composer Guestbooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep-09-2009, 07:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •