Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 539

Thread: Opera trips

  1. #76
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavaradossi View Post
    Lucky you! There are lots of goodies in the museum for a true opera lover to enjoy (like Verdi's piano) but I would have done the same thing if Barenboim was rehearsing. Tomorrow is your big night with Anna, right? Enjoy!
    Yes, tomorrow is the night. Maybe I'll return to the museum, a ticket is cheap. And how knows what will be rehearsed tomorrow :-)

  2. #77
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    Arrived in Milan today, and went straight to La Scala to see the museum and the shop. It turns out, if you get a museum ticket, you have access to some boxes where I spent some time watching and listening Barenboim rehearse Siegfried Needless to say I didn't see much of the museum.

    Lots of activity at La Scala, it looks like they were preparing a broadcast for TV. They couldn't tell me which performance.

    I was interested to do a special guided tour of the theater, but because of the rehearsing it was not possible. Nevertheless I had a very nice time today.

    If you ever go the La Scala, and you want to see something, better check where you sit. If you sit in a box, only the first row can see the performance.... these boxes are very small !

    Attachment 9053
    How fabulous! I've done the museum tour & sat in a box but there was no rehearsal going on at the time. Lucky you - I'm so envious!!!

    Hope you have a wonderful time at the performance.

    There was nearly a tragedy in the La Scala shop. As I walked in my credit card gave a mournful howl & tried to commit suicide .. but I saved him just in time.
    Ann

  3. Likes mamascarlatti, MAuer liked this post
  4. #78
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Returned for a short moment today. There is pretty impressive row at the ticket office, after asking someone I found out that there are still 100 places available for tonight's performance.

    And here's what my trip is all about:
    IMG_0766sm.jpg

  5. Likes Cavaradossi, sospiro liked this post
  6. #79
    Senior Member Couchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    Toronto individual 2012/2013 tickets to the general public went on sale today. Bought my seat to Tristan und Isolde in February
    I added a second night, different singers. I will be stuck in TO for a week now however. Still, it occurred to me, what if I were to die soon? My life would have been twice as good dying with two tickets to Tristan rather than just one. And if I die *after* I see Tristan, well then I had nothing left to live for anyway.


    We need a crazy, deranged smiley.
    Last edited by Couchie; Oct-19-2012 at 15:00.
    Doch dieses Wörtlein: und, -wär' es zerstört,
    wie anders als mit Isoldes eignem Leben wär' Tristan der Tod gegeben?

  7. Likes Cavaradossi liked this post
  8. #80
    Senior Member Cavaradossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City, formerly C
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    I added a second night, different singers. I will be stuck in TO for a week now however. Still, it occurred to me, what if I were to die soon? My life would have been twice as good dying with two tickets to Tristan rather than just one. And if I die *after* I see Tristan, well then I had nothing left to live for anyway.
    Sounds like the optimum would be to die between the first and second Tristans. That way you will have seen Tristan and still have a Tristan ticket to hold on to. [INSERT]crazy, deranged smiley[/INSERT] x 3

    I must admit that it occurred to me after seeing Barenboim's Tristan at the Met that I was unlikely to experience anything quite as exquisite again before I breathed my last.

  9. #81
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    Returned for a short moment today. There is pretty impressive row at the ticket office, after asking someone I found out that there are still 100 places available for tonight's performance.

    And here's what my trip is all about:
    IMG_0766sm.jpg


    Fabulous cast! Fabio Capitanucci sang Chorèbe in Les Troyens, he was excellent.

    Hope you have a fantastic time.
    Ann

  10. #82
    Senior Member Cavaradossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City, formerly C
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    Lots of activity at La Scala, it looks like they were preparing a broadcast for TV. They couldn't tell me which performance.
    According to their recent Facebook post, it's for an RAI broadcast of Seigfried.

    My route to work takes me behind Orchestra Hall here in Chicago. This morning they were setting up for an HD broadcast of the all-star World Orchestra for Peace concert in honor of the Solti Centennial on Sunday with arias by Angela Gheorghiu and René Pape under the baton of Valery Gergiev. I looked into tickets a few weeks ago, but its a stretch for both schedule and budget in the midst of a busy, expensive month.

  11. Likes sospiro, MAuer liked this post
  12. #83
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After a good night's sleep I'm ready to share my expercience at La Scala. I arrived very unfashionably early... So I had to wait before I could enter the theater. Killed some time in the shop.

    First of all, the singing was absolutely superb in all the roles. Capitanucci is a remarkable new singer to me with a beautiful voice. No need to tell you the leading roles were outstanding. It is amazing to hear Netrebko live. She fills the entire theater with that big voice. The colours of her voice are so rich, all the way through the dynamic range.

    The production is a classic by Zeffirelli, no punkgirl Mimi here. The 2nd act is overwhelming with all that action and so many people on that small stage. At some points, you miss some parts because there's so much happening. I was surprised to see a living horse passing by on stage !

    The lasts scenes of La Boheme always get me. It was so moving that I had to dry my eyes at the end.

    I sat on the pletea, the seats are very small. Actually the whole experience was very intimate, it seems that everything in La Scala is smaller than in other theaters. There was some early clapping, which I always find very annoying. At some points members of the audience were hissing to stop some early clapper. That worked.

    There were many curtain calls, and some flowers were thrown on stage when Netrebko appeared for the first call with a thunder of bravos. And that included me.

    I left the theater with all those lovely melodies in my head. It was an amazing night.
    Last edited by Dongiovanni; Oct-20-2012 at 09:02.

  13. Likes Aksel, sospiro, mamascarlatti and 2 others liked this post
  14. #84
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    After a good night's sleep I'm ready to share my expercience at La Scala. I arrived very unfashionably early... So I had to wait before I could enter the theater. Killed some time in the shop.

    First of all, the singing was absolutely superb in all the roles. Capitanucci is a remarkable new singer to me with a beautiful voice. No need to tell you the leading roles were outstanding. It is amazing to hear Netrebko live. She fills the entire theater with that big voice. The colours of her voice are so rich, all the way through the dynamic range.

    The production is a classic by Zeffirelli, no punkgirl Mimi here. The 2nd act is overwhelming with all that action and so many people on that small stage. At some points, you miss some parts because there's so much happening. I was surprised to see a living horse passing by on stage !

    The lasts scenes of La Boheme always get me. It was so moving that I had to dry my eyes at the end.

    I sat on the pletea, the seats are very small. Actually the whole experience was very intimate, it seems that everything in La Scala is smaller than in other theaters. There was some early clapping, which I always find very annoying. At some points members of the audience were hissing to stop some early clapper. That worked.

    There were many curtain calls, and some flowers were thrown on stage when Netrebko appeared for the first call with a thunder of bravos. And that included me.

    I left the theater with all those lovely melodies in my head. It was an amazing night.
    Great review & so pleased you enjoyed it. I've always wanted to go & I bet the acoustics are superb.
    Ann

  15. #85
    Senior Member Cavaradossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City, formerly C
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    It was an amazing night.
    Sounds like it! Looking forward more than ever to my evening there two weeks from tonight.

    (And Netrebko's Mimi in Chicago in March.)

  16. #86
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavaradossi View Post
    And, since the flights there and back connect in Zurich, I'll be stopping to catch Lucia and and Jenufa at the Opernhaus on the way out. We'll have to compare notes sospiro, my first visit too!

    In scoping out the opera schedule for the return trip, the nearest production was Rigoletto at none other than La Scala featuring none other than Vittorio Grigolo with none other than Gustavo Dudamel conducting. That combination seemed like a good enough excuse for a quick diversion across the Alps to Milan on the way home. I nabbed one of the few remaining tickets - in one of those notoriously overpriced and view-obstructed side boxes, but I have everything reason to believe it will be worth the cost and the strained back from contorting to see the a corner of the stage.
    So this trip is starting soon I guess. That Rigoletto sounds delicious, and you got the opening night ! I guess you already know, the dress code at La Scala is very strict on the opening nights.

    Grigolo is already far on his way to stardom. After hearing Bezcela live I can only wonder why he is not that famous. His voice is simply sublime.

    Keep us informed !

  17. #87
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    Grigolo is already far on his way to stardom.
    Personally speaking, and I don't want to upset you, I prefer not to listen to him (although it must be said I've only heard him on recordings). His voice strikes me as being rather monochromatic, with overwrought melodrama the dominant tone.

    After hearing Bezcela live I can only wonder why he is not that famous. His voice is simply sublime.
    I would say Beczala is actually a bigger star really, works in top houses all over the world. I LOVED his recent Boheme in Salzburg
    Last edited by mamascarlatti; Oct-24-2012 at 21:08.
    Natalie

  18. Likes sospiro liked this post
  19. #88
    Senior Member Cavaradossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City, formerly C
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    So this trip is starting soon I guess. That Rigoletto sounds delicious, and you got the opening night ! I guess you already know, the dress code at La Scala is very strict on the opening nights.

    Grigolo is already far on his way to stardom. After hearing Bezcela live I can only wonder why he is not that famous. His voice is simply sublime.

    Keep us informed !
    I just saw the significant other off to the airport for the first leg of the long trip to Oman, so it's all getting very real.

    Yup, opening night seemed like a good occasion to spring for a slick new suit, which I am picking up tonight. Ugh, and now the online box office is showing ~10 seats available in the rear/side stalls. I'm almost tempted to nab one of those and attempt to resell my box seat.

    I'm very curious about Grigolo. I've only seen his ROH Faust and Rigoletto in Mantua film in cinemacast. He is beguiling in both, to say the least. Looks great on camera and sounds great too (with the benefit of a mic and sound level adjustment). I've heard his is a lighter voice though, so we'll see. And I've seen Dudamel conduct several times in Chicago, honestly some of the most exciting and unforgettable musical experiences of my life.

    Star quality for sure:

  20. #89
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    Personally speaking, and I don't want to upset you, I prefer not to listen to him (although it must be said I've only heard him on recordings). His voice strikes me as being rather monochromatic, with overwrought melodrama the dominant tone.

    I would say Beczala is actually a bigger star really, works in top houses all over the world. I LOVED his recent Boheme in Salzburg
    Actually I agree with you on Grigolo and Beczela ! If I say Grigolo is already far on his way to stardom doesn't mean I like his singing, it's just a simple fact :-) But stardom can be measured by different standards. I'd say Grigolo gets way more attention.

    I think Piotr was in better form at La Scala last Friday than the broadcast I heard of the Salzburg Boheme. But it's hard to compare a (not so good) broadcast with a live performance.
    Last edited by Dongiovanni; Oct-24-2012 at 23:04.

  21. #90
    Senior Member Dongiovanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavaradossi View Post
    Ugh, and now the online box office is showing ~10 seats available in the rear/side stalls. I'm almost tempted to nab one of those and attempt to resell my box seat.
    If you have time in Milan before the performance chances are high you can pull it off !

    Maybe someone here is interested :-)

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Russian opera just for Russian opera lovers
    By myaskovsky2002 in forum Opera
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Aug-02-2017, 17:32
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov-05-2012, 06:56
  3. Aventures/Nouvelles Aventures: an opera or not an opera?
    By ComposerOfAvantGarde in forum Opera
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun-24-2012, 13:43
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov-06-2011, 05:35
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr-11-2011, 20:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •