Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Listening Vol VII

1M views 26K replies 235 participants last post by  Art Rock 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Listening Vol VII

A new thread for the same subject matter.

The previous thread, Current Listening Vol VI has become another huge file and slow to load. Since this particular thread is the most popular one on the site, we have created this new volume to continue posting.

Taggart,
Senior Moderator

Links to previous Current Listening threads:
Current Listening Vol I
Current Listening Vol II
Current Listening Vol III
Current Listening Vol IV
Current Listening Vol V
Current Listening Vol VI

#15,586 ·

Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3 & 8

Bamberger Symphoniker, Jonathan Nott
Picked this particular disc up second hand after being impressed by the an initial listen to the cycle......really rather good!

Now listening to Skrow' and the Deutsches Radio Philharmonie Saarbruken Kaiserslautern in a wonderful performance of Brahms' 2nd Symphony.

#15,591 · (Edited)
Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Guitar Font

Franz Schubert

String Quartet No. 12 in C Minor, D. 703 "Quartettsatz"
String Quartet No. 13 in A Minor, D. 804 "Rosamunde"
String Quartet No. 14 in D Minor, D. 810 "Death and the Maiden"
String Quartet No. 15 in G Major, D. 887

Quartetto Italiano

Wow. I forgot how wonderful and lengthy the G Major is. Definitely among my favorite quartets. Beautiful.

#15,592 · (Edited)
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 "Pastorale"
Pittsburgh Symphony, William Steinberg

I live in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S., and we are presently blanketed with a thick layer of wildfire smoke, as are a large portion of the western states. It's quite horrible, with the Air Quality Index ranging from the mid 200s to low 300s ("very unhealthy" to "hazardous.") Also, its been hitting above 30-35° C every day. Outside activities are therefore out, even if you're not a middle-aged man with asthma. So I'm living vicariously through Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony, which is probably my favorite Beethoven symphony to listen to.

And what a Pastorale Symphony this is! The highlight of a very fine Beethoven cycle, Steinberg and the Pittsburghers created one of the performances of this symphony I love the most.

It's awful outside, like the Plateau of Gorgoroth in Mordor, but I have Beethoven played by the Pittsburgh Symphony and William Steinberg. It helps.

#15,594 ·
That's a great set. I think they're at their best when they're doing English polyphony.
These are all older recordings :) The recording with music from John Sheppard is one of their finest ( not in this collection) but the Gesualdo recording they made is also very very beautiful.
The last few years I don't follow the Scholars as I used to do.
I prefer more "The Clerck's group" and the more intimate approach which I didn't like at first.

#15,595 ·
Richard Strauss; Also Sprach Zarathustra
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Conducted By Herbert von Karajan, Solo Violin Willy Boskovsky
London Records - CS 6129, vinyl, LP, album, stereo, gatefold, US, 1959.

Found this copy at the Goodwill on the way home from work yesterday for $1 and after a little TLC it plays great.

View attachment 158235
That was my first recording of Zarathustra that I ever owned. I bought it on LP reissue as a teenager but it was ruined in a flood. It's a good recording.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.