Page 173 of 175 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2624

Thread: What opera CD/DVD have you purchased recently?

  1. #2581
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    Callas should have been in this set but was precluded from recording Violetta again by her contract with Cetra, which forbad her from recording the role again for five years. Legge wouldn’t wait to produce a La Scala Traviata, with what had become his house team, so went ahead without her. Callas was furious with him, and even more with Serafin for recording it without her, and in fact didn’t speak to him for a year (Tellingly he is absent from her recording schedule for the following year).
    Yep, I read that in my Lisbon Callas Traviata set which led me to check out Stella. I like her voice.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  2. Likes Lensky liked this post
  3. #2582
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    (Stella was an incredibly bland artist, even if technically competent).
    I have heard similar comment about Mariella Devia, who by the way, has her own Traviata recording.
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; May-06-2019 at 13:35.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  4. #2583
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    I have heard similar comment about Mariella Devia, who by the way, has her own Traviata recording.
    Devia is a different kettle of fish. She's variable and is sometimes bland, but sometimes surprisingly committed and interesting. However I have seen her live twice and on both occasions she was unmusical and totally lacking when it comes to following bel canto style. Not a singer for me. I prefer Aliberti or the better known bel canto divas of the past. Fortunately we now have Lisette Oropesa who is singing bel canto wonderfully. Let's hope she graduates to some of the heavier roles in the years to come (that may be wishful thinking on my part as she has a small instrument at the moment).

    N.

  5. #2584
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    Devia is a different kettle of fish. She's variable and is sometimes bland, but sometimes surprisingly committed and interesting. However I have seen her live twice and on both occasions she was unmusical and totally lacking when it comes to following bel canto style. Not a singer for me. I prefer Aliberti or the better known bel canto divas of the past. Fortunately we now have Lisette Oropesa who is singing bel canto wonderfully. Let's hope she graduates to some of the heavier roles in the years to come (that may be wishful thinking on my part as she has a small instrument at the moment).

    N.
    Devia was quite good in the DVD of La Fille du Regiment.

    As for Stella, here is part of the write-up at Norbeck, Peters & Ford (where I ordered it on sale):

    “Seeming from time to time a serious contender for consideration with the great prima donnas of her time - Callas, Tebaldi, and Milanov - Antonietta Stella never quite pulled together all the elements of her lavish gift. An immensely attractive woman with large, deep-set eyes and a figure that would have found favor in Hollywood, she presented an appealing stage presence but was not always able to control her impulsive histrionic inclinations. Although her vocal endowment led her to an early début, her lovely spinto-weight soprano was not sufficiently technically secure and not supported consistently enough to endure.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  6. #2585
    Senior Member Sonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I downloaded a couple more operas, a late birthday gift to myself from my mother...and I guess myself

    Another from the Solti Ring cycle, Das Rheingold

    If I recall, it was this Rheingold (in earlier mastering) that introduced me to the Ring cycle, a library item I borrowed.

    I also obtains Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov, the recording with Karajan, which I thought was beautiful
    Stabat Mater & Requiem Project:

    REQUIEMS
    Dvorak
    Faure Requiem
    Mozart
    Rossini
    Salieri
    Verdi

    STABAT MATERS
    Boccherini
    Dvorak
    Haydn
    Mayr
    Poulenc
    Rossini
    Steffani
    Vivaldi

  7. Likes Fritz Kobus, Rogerx, Itullian liked this post
  8. #2586
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I also obtains Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov, the recording with Karajan, which I thought was beautiful
    Ah, too bad you didn't go with the Gergiev Boris. It's heaps better than the Karajan Boris. I actually first got to know Boris through that Karajan recording. Now, I never ever listen to it. Why? Because it's the Rimsky-Korsakov re-orchestration. As well sung and as beautifully played and conducted it may be, I hate it now. I hate it because it's not what Mussorgsky intended - the reorchestration ruins it. Plus, Gergiev packs much more of a dramatic punch than Karajan. The Coronation Scene in the Gergiev is so magnificent that Karajan's is a pale bore in comparison. Sorry to rag all over your purchase. I do hope you enjoy it, but encourage you to seek out the Gergiev.
    Last edited by gellio; May-11-2019 at 00:46.
    Follow me on Instragam: figaro_under_the_moonlight.

  9. Likes The Conte, Granate liked this post
  10. #2587
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gellio View Post
    Ah, too bad you didn't go with the Gergiev Boris. It's heaps better than the Karajan Boris. I actually first got to know Boris through that Karajan recording. Now, I never ever listen to it. Why? Because it's the Rimsky-Korsakov re-orchestration. As well sung and as beautifully played and conducted it may be, I hate it now. I hate it because it's not what Mussorgsky intended - the reorchestration ruins it. Plus, Gergiev packs much more of a dramatic punch than Karajan. The Coronation Scene in the Gergiev is so magnificent that Karajan's is a pale bore in comparison. Sorry to rag all over your purchase. I do hope you enjoy it, but encourage you to seek out the Gergiev.
    I second this. I think the Rimsky-Korsakov version has its place and every opera collection should have at least have one recording of that edition and one of my favourite sets is that edition (the 1946 Bolshoi recording with Reizen). I got to know the opera via the Abbado recording which is the Mussorgsky 1972 version with the extra scenes from the 1969 version interpolated into it, so you get the best of both worlds. I still really like this set, however the Gergiev trumps it... just. I wouldn't be without any of these three recordings and also consider the live recording from the Met with Kipnis and the excerpts with Chaliapin essential. I am happy to forgo the Karajan and prefer the Cluytens with Christoff despite its flaws.

    N.

  11. Likes gellio liked this post
  12. #2588
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Does not have English subtitles, but an awesome semi-staged performance.


    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  13. Likes Tsaraslondon, Itullian, Rogerx liked this post
  14. #2589
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^^^^I think you probably know the lines now
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  15. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  16. #2590
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    ^^^^I think you probably know the lines now
    Exactly!

    Hey, by the way, you should recognize Marina Rebeka from THIS, which I have but have not watched yet.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  17. #2591
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    Exactly!

    Hey, by the way, you should recognize Marina Rebeka from THIS, which I have but have not watched yet.
    I noticed that, but the production looks awful.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  18. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  19. #2592
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    I noticed that, but the production looks awful.
    I may have unwittingly purchased it. I think Florez was the big attraction and I do believe I will enjoy it, but certainly not a traditional production.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  20. #2593
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    6,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    I may have unwittingly purchased it. I think Florez was the big attraction and I do believe I will enjoy it, but certainly not a traditional production.

    Try finding Pilar Lorengar,( Maazel conducting on Decca) the rest of the cast may not be so interesting but she is gorgeous.
    Edit, it's on CD and the number is 0028944300024
    Last edited by Rogerx; May-16-2019 at 05:32.

  21. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  22. #2594
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default


    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  23. Likes The Conte liked this post
  24. #2595
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    Try finding Pilar Lorengar,( Maazel conducting on Decca) the rest of the cast may not be so interesting but she is gorgeous.
    Edit, it's on CD and the number is 0028944300024
    I don't think I have it on CD yet, so will keep that on my list if I get that interested in Guillaume Tell. But I am not lately a big fan of Rossini operas, though do have some favorites.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

Similar Threads

  1. Composers you recently have discovered
    By pendereckiobsessed in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: May-29-2014, 03:27
  2. I have a question about this solo book I purchased
    By antimony in forum Woodwind and Brass
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul-01-2012, 05:16
  3. Distortions in music purchased from iTunes
    By msvadi in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May-21-2012, 21:18
  4. What have you seen recently?
    By sospiro in forum Opera
    Replies: 368
    Last Post: Feb-24-2012, 08:30
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar-09-2009, 14:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •