Page 8 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 2685

Thread: What opera CD/DVD have you purchased recently?

  1. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  2. #107
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  3. #108
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Last installment of this great cycle ordered
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  4. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  5. #109
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Very disappointed here. Presentation excellent, sound very good, BUT, my pet peeve.
    They put the last 4 minutes of Act l on the 2nd disc. Unbelievable!!!!
    Ruins the whole act for me.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  6. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  7. #111
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The 1972 Guillaume Tell.

    In the "what cd/dvd are you listening to/watching thread" Itullian extolled this opera, of which I've only listened to small segments of in the past, usually while watching the Lone Ranger (tv series not the damn movie) and A Clockwork Orange. Well, also asile hereditaire and the aria that sounds a bit like a riff off Lulli's bois epais: selva opaca (yes, the Italian version). But I've never been much of a Rossini follower, except for the Barber. I listen to the Callas/Gobbi/Alva version every twenty years or so. But that's it.

    Well, since Itullian and I seem to like a lot of the same music, I've just ordered this one.

    I need to develop more self-control. It's the internet. Caballe was the dealmaker for me.


    GuillaumeTell.jpg
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  8. Likes Itullian, mamascarlatti liked this post
  9. #112
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    The 1972 Guillaume Tell.

    In the "what cd/dvd are you listening to/watching thread" Itullian extolled this opera, of which I've only listened to small segments of in the past, usually while watching the Lone Ranger (tv series not the damn movie) and A Clockwork Orange. Well, also asile hereditaire and the aria that sounds a bit like a riff off Lulli's bois epais: selva opaca (yes, the Italian version). But I've never been much of a Rossini follower, except for the Barber. I listen to the Callas/Gobbi/Alva version every twenty years or so. But that's it.

    Well, since Itullian and I seem to like a lot of the same music, I've just ordered this one.

    I need to develop more self-control. It's the internet. Caballe was the dealmaker for me.


    GuillaumeTell.jpg
    Thank you for the plug Caballe is glorious and this is a glorious opera.
    Takes about 3/4 thru the first act to really get going and then it really takes off.
    Even the ballet music is magic.
    What music!!!!!
    Last edited by Itullian; Jan-04-2014 at 04:08.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  10. Likes Revenant liked this post
  11. #113
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While I was at it shopping the previous opera online I finally also pulled the trigger on this dvd, which I've been meaning to get for some time now.

    Tosca.jpg
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  12. Likes Itullian, sospiro, Rackon and 1 others liked this post
  13. #114
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    While I was at it shopping the previous opera online I finally also pulled the trigger on this dvd, which I've been meaning to get for some time now.

    Tosca.jpg


    Can't go wrong with this one!

    And yours truly is featured, well in the audience at the end.
    Ann

  14. Likes Revenant, MAuer liked this post
  15. #115
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post


    Can't go wrong with this one!

    And yours truly is featured, well in the audience at the end.
    Ah. An added bonus. Don't tell me. Let me watch it first and guess.
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  16. Likes sospiro, Rackon liked this post
  17. #116
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    31QK0K64QXL.jpg

    Caballe in fabulous form. Vickers superb too. Old fashioned stand and deliver sort of production, but musically it's spectacular.

  18. Likes Revenant liked this post
  19. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    31QK0K64QXL.jpgOld fashioned stand and deliver sort of production
    They had to stand firmly so they wouldn't be blown away by that wind.

  20. #118
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    They had to stand firmly so they wouldn't be blown away by that wind.
    By "they", do you mean the ones standing in front, or behind? Are you perhaps referring to those floating pianissimi? There was no escaping from those.
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  21. #119
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  22. #120
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  23. Likes Revenant liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Composers you recently have discovered
    By pendereckiobsessed in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: May-29-2014, 03:27
  2. I have a question about this solo book I purchased
    By antimony in forum Woodwind and Brass
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul-01-2012, 05:16
  3. Distortions in music purchased from iTunes
    By msvadi in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May-21-2012, 21:18
  4. What have you seen recently?
    By sospiro in forum Opera
    Replies: 368
    Last Post: Feb-24-2012, 08:30
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar-09-2009, 14:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •