Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
Results 451 to 459 of 459

Thread: Claude Debussy

  1. #451
    Senior Member violadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    University Place, WA
    Posts
    7,084
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Video I made about Debussy...just gonna put that right here...


  2. Likes Tchaikov6, Torkelburger liked this post
  3. #452
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    finally finished all of debussy, he's definitely my favorite composer. here's my top 20!!

    1. piano preludes books 1 + 2 (invented music)
    2. la mer
    3. prelude to the afternoon of a faun
    4. images for orchestra
    5. string quartet
    6. nocturnes
    7. pelleas et melisande
    8. estampes
    9. l'isle joyeuse
    10. danse sacree et profane
    11. images for piano books 1 + 2
    12. fantasie for piano and orchestra
    13. etudes
    14. suite bergamasque
    15. children's corner
    16. jeux
    17. sonata for harp flute and viola
    18. 2 arabesques
    19. pour le piano
    20. petite suite

    all of these are sooo awesome though, hard to rank
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  4. Likes Manxfeeder, Michael122, Josquin13 liked this post
  5. #453
    Junior Member Michael122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Stellar list, Tchaikov6! Curious though, why were Claire De Lune, Reverie, and Girl With the Flaxen Hair omitted?

  6. Likes Tchaikov6 liked this post
  7. #454
    Senior Member Neo Romanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    finally finished all of debussy, he's definitely my favorite composer. here's my top 20!!

    1. piano preludes books 1 + 2 (invented music)
    2. la mer
    3. prelude to the afternoon of a faun
    4. images for orchestra
    5. string quartet
    6. nocturnes
    7. pelleas et melisande
    8. estampes
    9. l'isle joyeuse
    10. danse sacree et profane
    11. images for piano books 1 + 2
    12. fantasie for piano and orchestra
    13. etudes
    14. suite bergamasque
    15. children's corner
    16. jeux
    17. sonata for harp flute and viola
    18. 2 arabesques
    19. pour le piano
    20. petite suite

    all of these are sooo awesome though, hard to rank
    Not a fan of any of the mélodies?

    P.S. Debussy is my favorite composer above all others.
    Last edited by Neo Romanza; Sep-21-2021 at 02:25.
    "Competitions are for horses. Not artists." - Béla Bartók

  8. #455
    Senior Member Livly_Station's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll say somthing weird...

    I rate Debussy's piano work very highly (love many pieces), but I haven't yet enjoyed the Preludes as a set.

  9. #456
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael122 View Post
    Stellar list, Tchaikov6! Curious though, why were Claire De Lune, Reverie, and Girl With the Flaxen Hair omitted?
    Claire De Lune is part of Suite Bergamasque; Girl With the Flaxen Hair is part of Preludes Book I

  10. #457
    Senior Member Torkelburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice video, violadude! Yes, I am also a Debussy fanboy. He has always been in my top 5 favs of all time. Violadude, I think you chose the best pieces for your introductory video. It is too bad you couldn't fit 6 on there as the SQ would be great to include as well.

    It would be nice if you could show more scores in your videos with analysis. I saw a brief score analysis in the Stravinsky video, but more would be helpful. Also, in Andreyev's videos, he plays reductions of the score on the piano and videos his hands on the keys...sometimes at a slower tempo, and it is quite insightful. Not sure if you have a piano or piano chops, though.

    I would have mentioned more in the Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun that he really tore down tradition from the past by emphasizing/exploiting the tritone interval. Not just in the famous opening melody, but in the counterpoint (like the horns passage), but in the harmonies (both vertical and horizontal--like a prevalence of chords whose roots are a tritone apart). Absolutely ground-breaking at the time. It's like an "emancipation of the tritone" so-to-speak. Gives that unique sense of ambiguity. Not only that, but it's what gives the satisfying resolution at the end when the tritone resolves to the fourth (as in the melody).

    Debussy's piano pieces are my favorite of modern times. Not just because of the obvious harmonic language, etc., but because of the *pianism* itself. If I was to teach a modern composition student how to write for the piano, I would most certainly use Debussy as a model, even over Shostokovich, Bartok, Stravinsky, and others. Debussy, more than anyone else IMO, showed that there are literally at the very least a half a dozen very unique and interesting ways to play a single idea on the piano, and so a composer can figure out what technique best suits the idea he has in mind instead of just resorting to the same old same old.

  11. Likes Manxfeeder, violadude, Janspe liked this post
  12. #458
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    15,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torkelburger View Post
    It's like an "emancipation of the tritone" so-to-speak.
    Interesting observation. The use of tritones goes all the way back to Perotin, but it does seem like the 20th Century had an obsession with those things.

  13. Likes Torkelburger liked this post
  14. #459
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Romanza View Post
    Not a fan of any of the mélodies?

    P.S. Debussy is my favorite composer above all others.
    Love the melodies but not enough to make my list as individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Similar Threads

  1. Any tips on playing Debussy?
    By jamesc in forum Keyboard Instruments
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug-18-2009, 00:39
  2. mp3 songs of claude debussy and arnold schoenberg
    By watyatink in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun-27-2007, 05:03
  3. Need help! Compositions of Claude Debussy and Arnold Schoenberg
    By watyatink in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun-24-2007, 22:59
  4. Question for Debussy experts
    By Beljum in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar-08-2007, 13:29
  5. Daniel Ericourt Plays Debussy
    By Todd in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug-05-2005, 01:26

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •