Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 346 to 359 of 359

Thread: Robert Schumann

  1. #346
    Senior Member Janspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also, the sonatas for piano and violin, the piano quartet and his violin concerto. The piano trios are cool as well!

  2. Likes CDs liked this post
  3. #347
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    39,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDs View Post
    Outside of Schumann's symphonies, solo piano works and piano concerto is there anything of his worth listening too? I ask because I like his symphonies and would like to explore his music further but am not a big fan of solo piano. Thanks!
    His lieder/ songs ( if you like hearing singing).
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  4. Likes Bettina liked this post
  5. #348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDs View Post
    Outside of Schumann's symphonies, solo piano works and piano concerto is there anything of his worth listening too? I ask because I like his symphonies and would like to explore his music further but am not a big fan of solo piano. Thanks!
    Piano Quintet, Piano Quartet w. Pressler/ESQ (DG); String Quartets w.Auryn Qt.(Tacet); Piano Trios w. Gringolts/Kouzov/Laul (Onyx); Cello & Piano works w. Schiff & Oppitz (Philips); Violin Sonatas w. Kremer & Argerich (DG).

  6. Likes CDs liked this post
  7. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will look into the suggestions this weekend. Thanks!

  8. Likes Vaneyes, Pugg liked this post
  9. #350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDs View Post
    Outside of Schumann's symphonies, solo piano works and piano concerto is there anything of his worth listening too? I ask because I like his symphonies and would like to explore his music further but am not a big fan of solo piano. Thanks!
    The song cycle for female voice and piano, Frauenliebe und leben, a cycle of a woman's life, is one of Schumann's greatest compositions.

  10. Likes CDs, Bettina liked this post
  11. #351
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    110

    Default

    Be sure to hear the Manfred Overture.

  12. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll add cello concerto (op. 129) and Fantasy for violin and orchestra (op. 131).

  13. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  14. #353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I'll add cello concerto (op. 129) and Fantasy for violin and orchestra (op. 131).
    Yes indeed. After some unimpressive recordings of each, I finally hit paydirt, with Schiff/Haitink (Philips, rec. 1988), and Irnberger/Sieghart (Gramola, rec. 2007).

  15. #354
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This post is complete nonsense. Both these works are hardly typical. The op.88 set is hardly one of Schumann's most popular or important works. And it isn't as if the piano trio us overplayed either. The 88 set clearly has an atmosphere of 'fairy tales', which places it alongside Schumann's other fairy tales sets. This implies a certain idiom which you cannot appreciate. The last movement of the piano trio clearly has a certain 'soiree' atmosphere, and is much more relaxed than the rest of the work, and the whole work itself is a lighter counterpart (although with quite dense contrapuntal moments) of the brooding and tragic no.1. Just as Brahms 2nd trio is a lighter counterpart of no.1. I embrace Schumann's music because it can cover a kaleidoscope of moods and styles, the limitations and stunting are all with you.

  16. #355
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't seem to edit that post, but it doesn't make sense unless I point out that it was in reply to Robert Schumann

    It still might not make sense
    That's what you get for replying to old posts. It took me a few days actually to read all the subsequent posts in the thread...

  17. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Montreal/NYC
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The centrality of the piano for Schumann cannot be overstated. At heart, Schumann was as piano-centric a composer as Chopin (and as miniature-oriented), it's just that he wanted to establish himself as a "proper," respectable German composer who writes in all the large-scale, important genres.

    Anderszewski articulates it very touchingly here:


  18. Likes Larkenfield liked this post
  19. #357
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Robert Schumann

    Yes, no.

  20. #358
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius12 View Post
    I can't seem to edit that post, but it doesn't make sense unless I point out that it was in reply to Robert Schumann

    It still might not make sense
    That's what you get for replying to old posts. It took me a few days actually to read all the subsequent posts in the thread...
    Eusebius, if you don't mind a suggestion... and apologies if you're already aware of this: Use the Reply With Quote function when responding to someone's post, no matter how old the post, and readers will always know which post you're referring to, otherwise they may not know. I'm sure they'll be interested in one of your spirited replies... In other words, don't use the Reply to Thread box at the very bottom of the page unless you're posting something that's not specifically connected to someone's post. The Reply With Quote option will be at the bottom of any post you're wanting to specifically reply to. I hope this helps. Give 'em hell! PS. You only have so many hours (I forget how many but it's usually enough) to edit your post once it's posted, but you'll usually have enough time the same day to come back and edit it if you discover an error. After that, you probably won't be able to edit it until hell freezes over. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Aug-03-2018 at 09:58.
    Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things. —Ray Bradbury

  21. Likes Eusebius12 liked this post
  22. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkenfield View Post
    Eusebius, if you don't mind a suggestion... and apologies if you're already aware of this: Use the Reply With Quote function when responding to someone's post, no matter how old the post, and readers will always know which post you're referring to, otherwise they may not know. I'm sure they'll be interested in one of your spirited replies... In other words, don't use the Reply to Thread box at the very bottom of the page unless you're posting something that's not specifically connected to someone's post. The Reply With Quote option will be at the bottom of any post you're wanting to specifically reply to. I hope this helps. Give 'em hell! PS. You only have so many hours (I forget how many but it's usually enough) to edit your post once it's posted, but you'll usually have enough time the same day to come back and edit it if you discover an error. After that, you probably won't be able to edit it until hell freezes over. Hope this helps!
    Haha thank you. I do remember most of this, but I was on a very long hiatus from this site so I had forgotten a few things. Anyway thanks for the tips and encouragement (took me a while to find this reply also)

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: Jan-24-2018, 16:44
  2. The problem with Schumann
    By Kurkikohtaus in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct-14-2011, 18:45
  3. Insight wanted : Schumann
    By Morigan in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov-27-2007, 21:23
  4. Jorg Demus Plays Schumann
    By Todd in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul-19-2005, 15:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •