Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 262

Thread: Favorite ballet?

  1. #106
    Senior Member sharik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    moscow, russia
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avey View Post
    Am I alone in my preferring Cinderalla over Romeo and Juliet?
    no, i second you on that.

  2. #107
    Senior Member perempe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eger
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian View Post
    I enjoy La Boutique Fantasque by Rossini / Respighi. Not so much for the Diaghilev's pastiche ballet, but just for the music.
    i'm listening it right now. thank you for the recommendation.
    Last edited by perempe; Jun-18-2014 at 12:00.

  3. Likes Antiquarian liked this post
  4. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ballet? Many years ago, impromptus by Legs Diamond and Anne Howe.

  5. #109
    Senior Member perempe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eger
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    in the new season I already have tickets to:
    Coppelia, The Nutcracker, Manon & Swan Lake (late April '15).

    I'll buy tickets to Sylvia & The Karamazovs later. will watch La Sylphide again with Shoko Nakamura.
    Last edited by perempe; Jul-10-2014 at 02:53.

  6. #110
    Senior Member Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just finished watching The Rite of Spring and it kinda' blew me away. I had some pricky bias against ballets... thinking they were too "feminine." But this was quite awesome.
    Last edited by Blake; Jul-10-2014 at 00:20.

  7. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
    Just finished watching The Rite of Spring and it kinda' blew me away. I had some pricky bias against ballets... thinking they were too "feminine." But this was quite awesome.
    The rite of spring must be feminine then.....BUT I guess females are mentally and biologically/physically superior to men anyway.
    Which is just like the Rite of Spring.

  8. #112
    Senior Member Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    The rite of spring must be feminine then.....BUT I guess females are mentally and biologically/physically superior to men anyway.
    Which is just like the Rite of Spring.
    Whatever it was, I really enjoyed it. Funny the societal conditionings that are so locked into us about what's proper masculine or feminine. The hell is all that really about?

    What if I chug a beer, punch you in the nose, and enjoy a ballet? Is that okay? Haha

  9. Likes ComposerOfAvantGarde liked this post
  10. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Straya mate
    Posts
    9,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
    Whatever it was, I really enjoyed it. Funny the societal conditionings that are so locked into us about what's proper masculine or feminine. The hell is all that really about?

    What if I chug a beer, punch you in the nose, and enjoy a ballet? Is that okay? Haha
    ikr....and as for your last point I think I know a couple of women who would actually do that!

  11. Likes Blake liked this post
  12. #114
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello

    I love ballet, and as an artist, it is a great inspiration to my work. My ultimate favourite is of course The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky, but his other ballets are so sublime and beautiful. I also enjoy The Firebird by Stravinsky. There is something so dark and intense, fantastical and strange, about his music

  13. Likes arpeggio, mirepoix liked this post
  14. #115
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sylvia by Delibes hands down, right from the beginning to the end of the opera Delibes creates a magic only he can compose. I love the big powerful Prelude, it's the perfect way to start any ballet. Even Tchaikovsky said about Sylvia, "...the first ballet, where the music constitutes not only the main, but the only interest. What charm, what elegance, what richness of melody, rhythm, harmony." Not to forget the pizzicato from Act 3, a true masterpiece, the most famous piece in the ballet for good reason.

  15. Likes Becca liked this post
  16. #116
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    California Central Coast
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As a whole Ballet, my all-time favorite is "Giselle", when I was lucky enough to see G. Kirkland and M. Baryshnikov. My favorite moment in Ballet is the "Kingdom of the Shades" entrance from "La Bayadere". But my most exciting night at the Ballet was watching Carla Fracci in "Coppelia".

  17. Likes arpeggio liked this post
  18. #117
    Senior Member perempe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eger
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rameau View Post
    Sylvia by Delibes hands down, right from the beginning to the end of the opera Delibes creates a magic only he can compose. I love the big powerful Prelude, it's the perfect way to start any ballet. Even Tchaikovsky said about Sylvia, "...the first ballet, where the music constitutes not only the main, but the only interest. What charm, what elegance, what richness of melody, rhythm, harmony." Not to forget the pizzicato from Act 3, a true masterpiece, the most famous piece in the ballet for good reason.
    I already have tickets for May.
    Last edited by perempe; Aug-15-2014 at 10:02.

  19. #118
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Swan Lake always ranks top3 in my list!! Music, performance, techniques etc. are so stunning! Like music of Romeo & Juliet but u know, the story line is a bit uhhh tedious...Another two will be Sylvia and Giselle

  20. #119
    Senior Member Avey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cascadia
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Um, does anyone have a copy of -- or even seen live -- Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe? I cannot find a DVD of the ballet --that being the physical, dance, optical form of the composition.

    A push in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

  21. #120
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe it's a generic answer, but my favorite has always been The Nutcracker. I always dreamed of being in it. I studied dance for many years but never good enough to be in a production of it. I still enjoy going to performances of it though. I love it for the music, the story, the costumes and the idea of a child star has always appealed to me since I was a little girl.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Favorite Recordings for each Tchaikovsky Ballet
    By realdealblues in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-01-2013, 17:06
  2. Favorite 5 Ballet Numbers
    By Pyotr in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May-07-2013, 06:20
  3. Favorite Ballet?
    By oogabooha in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Sep-08-2012, 10:05
  4. Favorite music written for ballet
    By ZombieBeethoven in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jun-14-2012, 19:58
  5. Favorite Ballet Music
    By Huilunsoittaja in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec-12-2010, 09:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •