Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 151

Thread: Opera Name and Shame

  1. #1
    Senior Member Couac Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Opera Name and Shame

    The Bayreuth Festival's 2010 Die Walkure has been placed into Valhalla's Halls of Infamy but what other productions truly stink. I've found a few on youtube but I'd like to give others a chance to show us their not-so-favourites.

    Imagine if one of these productions was your introduction to opera.

    Commiserations to anyone who gave up some hard earned cash for these productions.

    Behold! Brunhilde as a Killer Tomato.

    Last edited by Couac Addict; Oct-22-2013 at 16:24.

  2. Likes Revenant, Chi_townPhilly liked this post
  3. #2
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couac Addict View Post
    The Bayreuth Festival's 2010 Die Walkure has been placed into Valhalla's Halls of Infamy but what other productions truly stink. I've found a few on youtube but I'd like to give others a chance to show us their not-so-favourites.

    Imagine if one of these productions was your introduction to opera.

    Commiserations to anyone who gave up some hard earned cash for these productions.

    Behold! Brunhilde as a Killer Tomato.

    Coincidentally I've been watching watching it right now. Apart from the Brünnhilde costume (and a rather random telegraph pole in act 1) I don't really get the problem. Johan Botha started quite well, surprising me after his deadpan Radames in the Met Aida, but soon started singing with his eyes firmly glued to the conductor. Linda Watson looks like Brünnhilde's grandmother, which only really matters because of the closeups. Albert Dohnen lacks gravitas as Wotan, and he's too pretty (although that might explain why all these women keep falling into bed with him). But on the scale of bad productions this comes nowhere, it's just not very exciting.

    Calixto Beieto's Carmen with Alagna and Uria-Monzon. That's worth a few rotten tomatoes. Moderately revolting, and utterly dull.

    There is a 1980s La Scala Don Giovanni with lovely Thomas Allen which I've never been able to finish because it is unutterably boring.

    A Rinaldo with David Daniels set in a Tel Aviv hotel which is just too silly.
    Last edited by mamascarlatti; Oct-22-2013 at 19:44.
    Natalie

  4. Likes MAuer liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some of recent Saltzberg Mozart productions have been horrors. The 2006 Figaro directed by Guth was pretty dreadful IMO.

  6. Likes deggial liked this post
  7. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Some of recent Saltzberg Mozart productions have been horrors
    They do awful productions in Saltzberg but Wagner festival at Bay Rooth isn't much better, not to mention some things from Viyennah or Bartselonnah

  8. Likes Revenant, Couac Addict liked this post
  9. #5
    Senior Member deggial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boisvert
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    anything by Guth, good call. Atrocious. The man has the uncanny knack of removing the last shred of humour from anything. I only sat through his Nozze and DG because of Roschmann but dear god...

  10. Likes DavidA, Couac Addict, MAuer liked this post
  11. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Doesn't quite fit, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

    Marriage of Figaro - The Musical
    -Ian

  12. Likes Couac Addict, Posie liked this post
  13. #7
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deggial View Post
    anything by Guth, good call. Atrocious. The man has the uncanny knack of removing the last shred of humour from anything. I only sat through his Nozze and DG because of Roschmann but dear god...
    Interesting that in a Figaro he introduces a Cupid like figure that Mozart and Da Ponte have unaccountably omitted. What a Plonker! For Roschmann go to the Covent Garden Figaro produced by McVicar. Actually does what Mozart intended instead of a barmy 'vision' from a demented director. Most unusual these days.

  14. #8
    Senior Member Jobis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like

  15. Likes Blancrocher, deggial, mamascarlatti and 3 others liked this post
  16. #9
    Senior Member deggial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boisvert
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Interesting that in a Figaro he introduces a Cupid like figure that Mozart and Da Ponte have unaccountably omitted. What a Plonker! For Roschmann go to the Covent Garden Figaro produced by McVicar. Actually does what Mozart intended instead of a barmy 'vision' from a demented director. Most unusual these days.
    yes, I've seen the McVicar version as well. What a relief (and I normally can take regie but here I have to go with the traditional version - well, I've seen so many Nozze and some of the less traditional work as well). That Cupid in Guth's production was just useless, flailing around for no reason. Maybe that was his way of keeping some levity.

  17. Likes Couac Addict liked this post
  18. #10
    Moderator mamascarlatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    5,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like Guth's Don Giovanni but not so much the Nozze. Partly to do with Bo Skovus' combination of bad singing and extreme sweating. Harnoncourt's lugubrious tempi didn't help either.
    Natalie

  19. #11
    Senior Member waldvogel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had the misfortune of seeing this production in Leipzig... sorry that I can't find any video, but perhaps it's for the better that it has left no trace of its existence.

    http://operachic.typepad.com/opera_c...suspended.html
    Last edited by waldvogel; Oct-22-2013 at 21:49.

  20. Likes deggial, Couac Addict liked this post
  21. #12
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamascarlatti View Post
    I like Guth's Don Giovanni but not so much the Nozze. Partly to do with Bo Skovus' combination of bad singing and extreme sweating. Harnoncourt's lugubrious tempi didn't help either.
    Bo Skovus must be the least romantic Count Figaro ever came up against. His ham acting doesn't help.

  22. #13
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is apparently a simply dreadful Fidelio at the ENO at the moment, which the producer shows us what Beethoven really should have written. At the end Don Fernando shoots Florestan. What a way to treat an old friend!
    Last edited by DavidA; Oct-22-2013 at 22:10.

  23. #14
    Senior Member Chi_townPhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    S Jersey c. Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couac Addict View Post
    The Bayreuth Festival's 2010 Die Walkure has been placed into Valhalla's Halls of Infamy but what other productions truly stink?
    To paraphrase a setting from Carmina Burana... "Dies Noxious Omnia." But anyway, the Halls of Infamy aren't located in Valhalla, they're in the other place- and it's filling up...

    A lot of Wagnerians can answer this one in their sleep- how about:
    The "Rats" Lohengrin.
    The "Shoe Fetish" Meistersinger.
    The "Space Cadet" Parsifal.
    The Codpiece Rienzi.
    The Lolitas bouncing about on an oversized bed, like- totally... Rheingold.
    There was even a "Viet Minh" setting for a Wagner opera (didn't commit to memory which one).

    That, unfortunately, is just off the top of my head...
    The hardest knife ill us'd doth lose his edge. Shakespeare- Sonnet 95

  24. Likes Volve liked this post
  25. #15
    Senior Member Couac Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_townPhilly View Post
    To paraphrase a setting from Carmina Burana... "Dies Noxious Omnia." But anyway, the Halls of Infamy aren't located in Valhalla, they're in the other place- and it's filling up...

    A lot of Wagnerians can answer this one in their sleep- how about:
    The "Rats" Lohengrin.
    The "Shoe Fetish" Meistersinger.
    The "Space Cadet" Parsifal.
    The Codpiece Rienzi.
    The Lolitas bouncing about on an oversized bed, like- totally... Rheingold.
    There was even a "Viet Minh" setting for a Wagner opera (didn't commit to memory which one).

    That, unfortunately, is just off the top of my head...
    What is it about Wagner productions that attract the crazies. People say that the Ring cycle is the most difficult to direct. Here's a hint: dress everyone up like Vikings.

    The only way to improve Die Walkure is with riding crops and hillbilly zombies.
    Last edited by Couac Addict; Oct-23-2013 at 02:43.

  26. Likes Revenant, expat, Oreb liked this post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov-05-2012, 06:56
  2. Violin Piece from "Shame of the Catholic Church"?
    By NSM in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May-03-2012, 14:51
  3. The wall of shame
    By Philip in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Apr-13-2012, 01:18
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov-06-2011, 05:35
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr-11-2011, 20:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •