Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 214

Thread: Favorite St. Matthew's Passion

  1. #91
    Senior Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    This is the greatest rendition I've ever heard, and among the most substantial Classical recordings ever, of any work:
    I prefer Herreweghe's first recording (1984), despite the fact that the 2nd one (1998) has got better sonics and a better countertenor (Andreas Scholl). To me though, the 2nd is more slick and less expressive than the 1st. Another weak link of the 1998 performance is Evangelist Ian Bostridge, who is over-emotional and sometimes even over-hysterical in my opinion, which doesn't add to the drama at all. Howard Crook, as a storyteller, does a much better job in finding a refined balance between objectivity and involvement. Other pros of Herreweghe 1 are Barbara Schlick, Hans-Peter Blochwitz and Peter Kooij.

  2. Likes Bulldog liked this post
  3. #92
    Senior Member AfterHours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I prefer Herreweghe's first recording (1984), despite the fact that the 2nd one (1998) has got better sonics and a better countertenor (Andreas Scholl). To me though, the 2nd is more slick and less expressive than the 1st. Another weak link of the 1998 performance is Evangelist Ian Bostridge, who is over-emotional and sometimes even over-hysterical in my opinion, which doesn't add to the drama at all. Howard Crook, as a storyteller, does a much better job in finding a refined balance between objectivity and involvement. Other pros of Herreweghe 1 are Barbara Schlick, Hans-Peter Blochwitz and Peter Kooij.
    Thanks for your view. While the Herreweghe performance I posted is one I don't recall having any issues with, I've also been away from St Matthew Passion for quite some time (aside from 2 listens, 5+ years). I will be returning to it in the near future and will revisit other recordings, including re-evaluating both Herreweghe's -- and hopefully find some new outstanding renditions too! -- and will also take your points into possible consideration and see if I agree with them or not.
    "We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time." -- T.S. Eliot

  4. #93
    Senior Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    Thanks for your view. While the Herreweghe performance I posted is one I don't recall having any issues with, I've also been away from St Matthew Passion for quite some time (aside from 2 listens, 5+ years). I will be returning to it in the near future and will revisit other recordings, including re-evaluating both Herreweghe's -- and hopefully find some new outstanding renditions too! -- and will also take your points into possible consideration and see if I agree with them or not.
    Sure, and, of course, you might find that you disagree with me on all terms.

    During the last 10 to 15 years many new recordings of Bach's SMP have been thrown onto the market... it's almost impossible to keep track of it. Some of them are very interesting though.

  5. Likes AfterHours liked this post
  6. #94
    Junior Member NishmatHaChalil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think the best I have listened to in its entirety was Richter's. I'm young and don't have any money of my own, however, so, generally relying on youtube for comparisons, I usually don't share many of my own impressions in threads like this, although I'm always delighted in reading what others have to say. Regarding Richter, I second what was said of him in the first page. I usually listen to the Passion at least once a year, so I am going to see if I can check some of the other recommendations as well.

  7. Likes Pugg liked this post
  8. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NishmatHaChalil View Post
    I think the best I have listened to in its entirety was Richter's. I'm young and don't have any money of my own, however, so, generally relying on youtube for comparisons, I usually don't share many of my own impressions in threads like this, although I'm always delighted in reading what others have to say. Regarding Richter, I second what was said of him in the first page. I usually listen to the Passion at least once a year, so I am going to see if I can check some of the other recommendations as well.
    In my country we have a St Matthew Passion/ Easter tradition, roughly 100 performances in the weeks coming up to Easter.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  9. Likes NishmatHaChalil, AfterHours liked this post
  10. #96
    Junior Member NishmatHaChalil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    In my country we have a St Matthew Passion/ Easter tradition, roughly 100 performances in the weeks coming up to Easter.
    Interesting! I did not know about it before, but I love this tradition. I listen to the piece almost every Easter myself. Bach is my father's favorite composer, and I have been listening to it during the period since my childhood.

  11. Likes Pugg liked this post
  12. #97
    Senior Member chromatic owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My absolute favourite is the recording with the Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki conducting.

  13. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chromatic owl View Post
    My absolute favourite is the recording with the Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki conducting.
    Never ever heard it I am ashamed to say.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  14. #99
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chromatic owl View Post
    My absolute favourite is the recording with the Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki conducting.
    Suzuki Shares Bach's faith - he is a Lutheran

  15. #100
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just finished relistening to Klemperer's version today, and saw this thread. It is amazing, musically by far the most affecting for me. I used to find it dead slow when compared side-by-side to a couple other versions I have on HiP, like Herwegghe's 2nd version (used to be my favourite until yesterday/today), Gardiner's and McCreesh's, and also compared to Richter's. But Klemperer's brought me to places I never thought I'd go. Although it's not as colourful, it more than makes up in it's intensity. Has become one of my desert island favourites.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  16. Likes hpowders liked this post
  17. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    I just finished relistening to Klemperer's version today, and saw this thread. It is amazing, musically by far the most affecting for me. I used to find it dead slow when compared side-by-side to a couple other versions I have on HiP, like Herwegghe's 2nd version (used to be my favourite until yesterday/today), Gardiner's and McCreesh's, and also compared to Richter's. But Klemperer's brought me to places I never thought I'd go. Although it's not as colourful, it more than makes up in it's intensity. Has become one of my desert island favourites.
    You should try the Karajan, sensational .
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  18. #102
    Member bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already:
    Does any know of a Matthew Passion which is sung in English, along the lines of what the Met did a few years ago with the Magic Flute and a few other popular operas (pop-eras? )?

  19. Likes Pugg liked this post
  20. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
    Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already:
    Does any know of a Matthew Passion which is sung in English, along the lines of what the Met did a few years ago with the Magic Flute and a few other popular operas (pop-eras? )?


    https://www.amazon.co.uk/St-Matthew-.../dp/B002R1PRPI
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  21. Likes bigboy liked this post
  22. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    My favorite St. Matthew's Passion is the one by Bach.

  23. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The question however ... which version as stated in O.P .
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. St Matthew Passion
    By sospiro in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Jan-26-2015, 20:36
  2. Did Mozart lack the passion of his contemporaries?
    By Morganist in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul-21-2012, 00:09
  3. Albrechtsberger's passion
    By Ukko in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun-28-2011, 16:17
  4. My passion, hope and dream...
    By the_emptier in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb-21-2011, 21:21
  5. The Little Match Girl Passion
    By kg4fxg in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep-15-2009, 00:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •