Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68

Thread: VERDI Macbeth

  1. #1
    Senior Member Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Champagne, sometimes
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default VERDI Macbeth

    What CDs and DVDs do you enjoy for this opera?
    Last edited by Wood; Mar-18-2014 at 13:01.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Marschallin Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Verdi's Macbeth

    For the best sound, performance, and overall cast, I reach for Abbado:



    But the Macbeth I receive with every mark of esteem is the de Sabata-- because of the elaborate care Callas took in crafting the role of Lady Macbeth.

    mac.jpg mac2.jpg

    You are an
    ambitious soul, Macbeth. You long for greatness,
    but will you be wicked enough?
    The road to power
    is filled with crimes, and woe to him
    who sets an uncertain foot upon it and retreats!
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." - Thomas Carlyle

  3. Likes Bas, Tsaraslondon, Wood liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marschallin Blair View Post
    For the best sound, performance, and overall cast, I reach for Abbado:



    But the Macbeth I receive with every mark of esteem is the de Sabata-- because of the elaborate care Callas took in crafting the role of Lady Macbeth.

    mac.jpg mac2.jpg

    You are an
    ambitious soul, Macbeth. You long for greatness,
    but will you be wicked enough?
    The road to power
    is filled with crimes, and woe to him
    who sets an uncertain foot upon it and retreats!
    I agree absolutely with your analysis. Abbado for Macbeth. Callas for Lady Macbeth.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  5. Likes Marschallin Blair, Wood liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Champagne, sometimes
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks Mars and Greg. That seems to concur with reviews I've seen elsewhere too.

    I've gone for the Abbado, & will get the Callas one in due course.

    For the DVD, I've chosen ROH, Keenlyside, Monastyrska, Pappano. I hope that'll be fine too.



    Can't have too much blood in Macbeth.

  7. Likes Marschallin Blair, Divasin liked this post
  8. #5
    Senior Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My choice is the Muti version with Milnes in the title role and Cossotto as Lady Macbeth (as well as Carreras as Macduff).


  9. #6
    Senior Member AndyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Abbado is excellent. Shirley Verrett is an absolutely awesome Lady M

  10. Likes Marschallin Blair, Wood liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    My choice is the Muti version with Milnes in the title role and Cossotto as Lady Macbeth (as well as Carreras as Macduff).

    Also excellent, it came out at about the same time as the Abbado. I prefer Verrett's more interesting Lady and Abbado's more symphonic way with the score, but you probably can't go wrong with either.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  12. Likes Marschallin Blair, Wood liked this post
  13. #8
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    For me



    and



    I saw this Macbeth in the house (final dress + two performances) & also in the cinema & drove everyone on here nuts. Was rather good.
    Ann

  14. Likes Marschallin Blair, Wood, MAuer and 1 others liked this post
  15. #9
    Senior Member Marschallin Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    Also excellent, it came out at about the same time as the Abbado. I prefer Verrett's more interesting Lady and Abbado's more symphonic way with the score, but you probably can't go wrong with either.
    I love Fiorenza Cossotto. I especially love her huge attitude; and how she tried to go toe-to-toe with Sutherland in a live performance of Aida.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." - Thomas Carlyle

  16. Likes Bellinilover, Sonata liked this post
  17. #10
    Senior Member Bellinilover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    MACBETH is a superb opera, the very best, I think, of Verdi's "early" period. I have and enjoy the Muti recording mentioned by Mauer and Sospiro. I'm not the biggest fan of Muti's conducting style, which always seems rigid to me (I've discussed this in other threads), but I like the singers, Milnes especially. I also have a live, Opera d'Oro recording of a 1970 Vienna performance with Milnes as Macbeth, Christa Ludwig as Lady Macbeth, and a really good tenor named Carlo Cossutta as Macduff. Beautifully sing and quite exciting, though of course the sound quality isn't the best.

    I read somewhere that Simon Keenlyside is recording or has recorded Macbeth for the Chandos ("Opera in English") label. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so when the recording is coming out?
    Last edited by Bellinilover; Mar-18-2014 at 20:13.

  18. Likes Wood, Marschallin Blair, MAuer liked this post
  19. #11
    Senior Member Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Champagne, sometimes
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellinilover View Post
    MACBETH is a superb opera, the very best, I think, of Verdi's "early" period. I have and enjoy the Muti recording mentioned by Mauer and Sospiro. I'm not the biggest fan of Muti's conducting style, which always seems rigid to me (I've discussed this in other threads), but I like the singers, Milnes especially. I also have a live, Opera d'Oro recording of a 1970 Vienna performance with Milnes as Macbeth, Christa Ludwig as Lady Macbeth, and a really good tenor named Carlo Cossutta as Macduff. Beautifully sing and quite exciting, though of course the sound quality isn't the best.

    I read somewhere that Simon Keenlyside is recording or has recorded Macbeth for the Chandos ("Opera in English") label. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so when the recording is coming out?
    March 31 in UK.

    I looked at buying this one, but can't wait that long!

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Macbet...rdi+keenlyside

  20. Likes Marschallin Blair, Bellinilover liked this post
  21. #12
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have the Callas. And this one, an old cd that replaced an even older vinyl.

    Macbeth_Warren.jpg
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  22. Likes Wood, Marschallin Blair, Itullian and 1 others liked this post
  23. #13
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    I have the Callas. And this one, an old cd that replaced an even older vinyl.

    Macbeth_Warren.jpg
    That one looks great. How do you like it?
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

    "Life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all." Ian Anderson lyric

    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  24. #14
    Senior Member Revenant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida, USA
    Posts
    682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    That one looks great. How do you like it?
    I haven't listened to it in years but will do so again soon. I'm prejudiced in that I'm a lifelong fan of Warren. The current esthetics in this age of the countertenor and the soprano are repulsed by deep masculine sounding voices and Warren is cavernous so if you don't like spelunking YMMV. The early stereo sound is ok iirc (it was recorded a year or two prior to Warren's onstage death at the Met). I also remember that I didn't know what to make of Rysanek in this crucial role. Sometimes I liked her sometimes I didn't. I will just have to listen to it again soon. But this is one of warren's great roles if you like him.
    "No preluding! Piano pianissimo -- then all will be well." (Posted in the orchestra pit on August 13, 1876)

  25. Likes Figleaf liked this post
  26. #15
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    I haven't listened to it in years but will do so again soon. I'm prejudiced in that I'm a lifelong fan of Warren. The current esthetics in this age of the countertenor and the soprano are repulsed by deep masculine sounding voices and Warren is cavernous so if you don't like spelunking YMMV. The early stereo sound is ok iirc (it was recorded a year or two prior to Warren's onstage death at the Met). I also remember that I didn't know what to make of Rysanek in this crucial role. Sometimes I liked her sometimes I didn't. I will just have to listen to it again soon. But this is one of warren's great roles if you like him.
    Not me, sir. I don't care for countertenors at all. I like men to sound like men and women like women. I like Hines too.
    Last edited by Itullian; Mar-19-2014 at 16:57.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

    "Life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all." Ian Anderson lyric

    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  27. Likes Marschallin Blair, MAuer, Revenant liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Macbeth a good starting point
    By Aramis in forum Opera
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr-06-2014, 00:52
  2. Macbeth: Music for King Duncan's Deathstorm
    By Cstov in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug-03-2013, 07:27
  3. My Macbeth experience
    By sospiro in forum Opera
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: May-31-2011, 22:01
  4. Nonclassicl @ the Macbeth - Woodwind special
    By nonclassical in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May-29-2009, 13:09
  5. Looking for Lady Macbeth/Rostropovich
    By theclassicalguy in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan-28-2009, 23:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •