Page 277 of 316 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 4732

Thread: New MARIA CALLAS box set......

  1. #4141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    That's the first good thing I've seen you say about Warner.

    N.
    You may not have noticed but I have been saying it repeatedly over time. You can't beat a $6USD complete Callas live opera that sounds far better than, say, Opera d'Oro. Doesn't mean it's the way we all want to go.

  2. Likes davidglasgow liked this post
  3. #4142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    No, there are no details about the remastering or whether it is under licence from Warner.

    N.
    Thanks for the info! I think won't buy the Sony Medea.

  4. #4143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmichael1 View Post
    Do you know if the Pirata original tape still exists and if yes, why is nobody (not even Divina) using it? Is the owner refusing to give it to record labels?
    It's in the Omega Opera archive. Maybe Warner got a copy of it and used that. It sounds different from Divina, Myto and AV because they filtered it and removed the electric buzz in the final scene. Like most of the Warners, the defects in the recording are more evident as they have removed the surface haze that mars other versions.

    N.

  5. Likes niknik, alanmichael1 liked this post
  6. #4144
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It saddened me to read members of this forum being so aggressive towards one of our most respected contributors whose opinions are dismissed with anger, contempt and downright rudeness at every turn simply because his opinions are not in line with theirs.

    That RES excoriates the Warner Callas Live Remastered recordings is no excuse for members attacking him because of his views on their (Warner's) presumed misstatements about their sources.

    Forum commentators ought to remember that RES has been examining Callas recordings for decades and should be considered an expert, though he is not infallible. His frustration with lesser efforts by some labels vis à vis superior efforts from others sometimes appears as harsh criticism, but let's remember that that it is this love for the Callas artistry and musicianship that fueled his decades-long passion for her recorded legacy. It is due to his efforts and persistence that EMI corrected some of their more egregious errors.

    Members of this forum are, of course, free to express their own opinions, but please let's rein in or control our anger and cease attacking or bullying or turning on others for their differing views.

    One can disagree respectfully.
    Last edited by MAS; Oct-06-2017 at 05:56.

  7. Likes Itullian, Becca, CJC and 10 others liked this post
  8. #4145
    Member niknik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RES View Post
    Wow, Niknik, now you are 'liking' posts that state the *opposite* of your own positions: for example, that Warner is justified in making profit from Callas, when you were railing against anyone doing that.
    I am eager to change my Callas cd’s looking for an improvement as I’ve already done it many times in the past following your advices.
    I am not leaving in a fantasy world. I know the rules of a free market. Companies – big or small – want to make profit. I will never ask a company – big or small - to provide its products free of charge, but I would expect from some who characterize themselves as Callas lovers to perform their task gratis, upload their efforts in their web site free of charge, preserving in this way important musical documents while keeping them from profiteers. This is ultimately an act that proves over and above words the real love and offer for Callas and her art. Eventually I may live in a fantastic world

  9. Likes The Conte liked this post
  10. #4146
    Senior Member Rossiniano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    The Opera Zone
    Posts
    348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    It saddened me to read members of this forum being so aggressive towards one of our most respected contributors whose opinions are dismissed with anger, contempt and downright rudeness at every turn simply because his opinions are not in line with theirs.

    That RES excoriates the Warner Callas Live Remastered recordings is no excuse for members attacking him because of his views on their (Warner's) presumed misstatements about their sources.

    Forum commentators ought to remember that RES has been examining Callas recordings for decades and should be considered an expert, though he is not infallible. His frustration with lesser efforts by some labels vis à vis superior efforts from others sometimes appears as harsh criticism, but let's remember that that it is this love for the Callas artistry and musicianship that fueled his decades-long passion for her recorded legacy. It is due to his efforts and persistence that EMI corrected some of their more egregious errors.

    Members of this forum are, of course, free to express their own opinions, but please let's rein in or control our anger and cease attacking or bullying or turning on others for their differing views.

    One can disagree respectfully.
    I am "replying with quote" because I think some here might need to read this post a second time... and I highlight the last word in the all important last sentence for a reason. Thank you.
    Stendhal on Rossini: The fame of this hero knows no bounds save those of civilization itself...

  11. Likes anniefischerfan, plumblossom, quimss and 5 others liked this post
  12. #4147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am saddened to see that some members of this forum have no qualms about making accusations of fraud or supporting such accusations simply because they are fans of a rival recording label.

    I believe in freedom of speech and of course there should be discussion about the various possibilities when it comes to recordings released by labels, neither do I wish to stifle peoples' opinions. However, I take accusations of fraud very seriously.

    Forum members may have differing views on various recording labels, their practices and products, but there is nothing respectful about groundless accusations of fraud.

    N.

  13. Likes Granate, niknik, The Wolf liked this post
  14. #4148
    Senior Member Granate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Me the ignorant:



    Five stars for the thread.

    I think I should buy some Myto Callas like the Dallas Medea, the Ballo in Maschera, the Norma in Scala 1955 and the Traviata from Lisbon. And when the Live box costs 50€ in Amazon FR, I'll take it.

  15. Likes The Conte liked this post
  16. #4149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In preparation for the upcoming Profil/Hänssler box I have just listened to the Napoli Lucia from 1956 on Myto. It sounds as if the microphone was placed under the chair of the third cello player. The voices are very distant, but perhaps a manipulative remastering can get a lot more out of this recording.

    Still you can hear that Callas gives a very good rendition of her first aria - but then gets a storm of booing ! What in heaven happened in Naples?

  17. #4150
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmichael1 View Post
    In preparation for the upcoming Profil/Hänssler box I have just listened to the Napoli Lucia from 1956 on Myto. It sounds as if the microphone was placed under the chair of the third cello player. The voices are very distant, but perhaps a manipulative remastering can get a lot more out of this recording.

    Still you can hear that Callas gives a very good rendition of her first aria - but then gets a storm of booing ! What in heaven happened in Naples?
    I think you're talking about Il Barbieri, well, I receive mine today and sadly, not better than Myto that I already had, probably worst.

  18. Likes The Conte liked this post
  19. #4151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quimss View Post
    I think you're talking about Il Barbieri, well, I receive mine today and sadly, not better than Myto that I already had, probably worst.
    I'm sorry to hear that. In fact, I don't know that recording at all, I just knew that the Profil edition exists.
    Last edited by alanmichael1; Oct-06-2017 at 19:32.

  20. #4152
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmichael1 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. In fact, I don't know that recording at all, I just knew that the Profil edition exists.
    We are at the mercy of these companies. Fortunately, we’re associated with this forum, in which we can find information on sound, edition, sources, etc. Having said that, I too, got that Barbiere from Haenssler!
    Last edited by MAS; Oct-06-2017 at 21:55.

  21. #4153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    We are at the mercy of these companies. Fortunately, we’re associated with this forum, in which we can find information on sound, edition, sources, etc. Having said that, I too, got that Barbiere from Haenssler!
    And do you like it?

  22. #4154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quimss View Post
    I think you're talking about Il Barbieri, well, I receive mine today and sadly, not better than Myto that I already had, probably worst.
    That's a shame. Isn't the Profil in the correct pitch, whereas the Myto isn't. I will investigate tomorrow with the Profil sound samples and see what comes out.

    N.

  23. Likes alanmichael1 liked this post
  24. #4155
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmichael1 View Post
    And do you like it?
    I actually haven’t quite got it yet - should’ve said “purchased.”

Similar Threads

  1. Maria Callas.....again?.....
    By Itullian in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun-17-2017, 00:51
  2. Maria Callas! Why?
    By michael walsh in forum Opera
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: Oct-16-2016, 17:27
  3. Tony Palmer Maria Callas DVD
    By Thomrobex in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun-19-2013, 16:39
  4. Maria Callas: Casta Diva
    By sospiro in forum Opera
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr-14-2012, 06:06
  5. Need help with Maria Callas aria
    By ManicPixie in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan-18-2012, 06:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •