Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 90

Thread: Looking for recommendations for a La Sonnambula CD

  1. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    ]

    The studio remastered Callas set is still on my list though.
    I suggest you invest in the complete Callas remastered box set, you can of course collect the recordings separately, but I am sure you will end up wanting to get them all anyway so it will be a big saving in the long run.

    N.

  2. Likes Tsaraslondon liked this post
  3. #47
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    My recommendation for Sonnambula would be not to listen to it but that's probably not the question you are really asking here! Never saw the point of Bellini unless it is the cocktail! if forced to listen to it at gunpoint I would opt for the one with Joan Sutherland. It's her repertoire and she excels at the canary fancying stuff.
    Well Callas is about as far from a canary-fancier's singer as you are likely to get, even though her coloratura technique was second to none, but then you need more than a canary to reveal the emotional depth at the heart of these operas. La Sonnambula was actually written for, and created by, the same singer for whom Bellini wrote Norma.

    As a Wagner lover, you no doubt know Wagner thought very highly of Bellini, and of Norma in particular.

    Bellini’s music and particularly his vocal melody, has of late excited so much attention, and kindled so much enthusiasm, even in Germany, the land of the learned…Melody is in short the language in which a man should impart his musical thoughts to others, and if this be not as independently constructed and conserved as every other cultivated language should be, how shall he make himself understood?” Wagner tenderly called Bellini the “gentle Sicilian,” and suggested that his flowing melodies had the unique italiante capacity for “bel canto” expressiveness.

    We must not be ashamed to shed a tear and express emotion. It is not a crime to believe in this music. People think that I detest the entire Italian school, in particular Bellini. This is not true – a thousand times no! Bellini is my first preference, because there is strength in his vocal writing, and his music lends itself so perfectly to the original text .... Of all Bellini’s operas, Norma is the one which unites the richest flow of melody with the deepest glow of truth .... I admire Norma’s melodic inspiration, which joins the most intimate passion to the most profound reality; a great score that talks straight to the heart – a work of genius.
    Last edited by Tsaraslondon; Feb-05-2016 at 10:33.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  4. #48
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    Right Greg, get the manacles, give him the finale to Norma until he changes his mind! (One of the Callas studio recordings, of course.)

    N.
    Who else? Though personally I'd go for the 1955 live La Scala version.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  5. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it wasn't so sad, I would laugh out loud.

    Strange how someone always complains about double standards on this forum and also about so called " haters" is in fact not one hair better the the rest off the bully's .

    Live must be very could on such a moral high ground
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  6. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Waist of energy
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  7. #51
    Senior Member Barbebleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    If it wasn't so sad, I would laugh out loud.

    Strange how someone always complains about double standards on this forum and also about so called " haters" is in fact not one hair better the the rest off the bully's .

    Live must be very could on such a moral high ground
    To whom is this comment directed Pugg?
    Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate!

  8. #52
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    To whom is this comment directed Pugg?
    I think it may be directed at me, though I'm not at all sure what precipitated it.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  9. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    To whom is this comment directed Pugg?
    He / She who fits the shoe.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  10. #54
    Senior Member Barbebleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    Well Callas is about as far from a canary-fancier's singer as you are likely to get, even though her coloratura technique was second to none, but then you need more than a canary to reveal the emotional depth at the heart of these operas. La Sonnambula was actually written for, and created by, the same singer for whom Bellini wrote Norma.

    As a Wagner lover, you no doubt know Wagner thought very highly of Bellini, and of Norma in particular.

    Bellini’s music and particularly his vocal melody, has of late excited so much attention, and kindled so much enthusiasm, even in Germany, the land of the learned…Melody is in short the language in which a man should impart his musical thoughts to others, and if this be not as independently constructed and conserved as every other cultivated language should be, how shall he make himself understood?” Wagner tenderly called Bellini the “gentle Sicilian,” and suggested that his flowing melodies had the unique italiante capacity for “bel canto” expressiveness.

    We must not be ashamed to shed a tear and express emotion. It is not a crime to believe in this music. People think that I detest the entire Italian school, in particular Bellini. This is not true – a thousand times no! Bellini is my first preference, because there is strength in his vocal writing, and his music lends itself so perfectly to the original text .... Of all Bellini’s operas, Norma is the one which unites the richest flow of melody with the deepest glow of truth .... I admire Norma’s melodic inspiration, which joins the most intimate passion to the most profound reality; a great score that talks straight to the heart – a work of genius.
    But we all know that Wagner was mad!! Ah well. Next you'll be telling me that I should listen to Donizzetti too!

    Just for the record I hope I haven't offended anyone here with my comments, nor have I taken offence. I think the poking of a little gentle fun is acceptable but I find more and more that people are very quick to take offence on a lot of the threads. That's the problem with forums. You can't see the expression on someone's face to realise that they are, as we say in Scotland, "takin' a len' o' ye." If I was to take the huff everytime someone said something I didn't agree with or I said something that others disagreed with, my wife and I would very rarely speak. That was a joke for those with a sensayuma by-pass (little James Bond reference there). Life is short, let's make it enjoyable.
    Last edited by Barbebleu; Feb-05-2016 at 14:50.
    Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate!

  11. Likes The Conte liked this post
  12. #55
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    But we all know that Wagner was mad!! Ah well. Next you'll be telling me that I should listen to Donizzetti too!

    Just for the record I hope I haven't offended anyone here with my comments, nor have I taken offence. I think the poking of a little gentle fun is acceptable but I find more and more that people are very quick to take offence on a lot of the threads. That's the problem with forums. You can't see the expression on someone's face to realise that they are, as we say in Scotland, "takin' a len' o' ye." If I was to take the huff everytime someone said something I didn't agree with or I said something that others disagreed with, my wife and I would very rarely speak. That was a joke for those with a sensayuma by-pass (little James Bond reference there). Life is short, let's make it enjoyable.
    No offence taken - by me anyway

    Though I think, once Conte and I have manacled you to that chair, we shouldn't stop at Norma. I think a few days of continuous Donizetti, Rossini and Bellini will do the trick. It might of course just turn you into one of their "mad" heroines, but I'm willing to take the risk.
    Last edited by Tsaraslondon; Feb-05-2016 at 15:39.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  13. Likes Headphone Hermit liked this post
  14. #56
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    He / She who fits the shoe.
    So if your little diatribe was directed at me, could I ask just what or whom I'm being accused of "hating" and "bullying"?
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  15. #57
    Senior Member Barbebleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    No offence taken - by me anyway

    Though I think, once Conte and I have manacled you to that chair, we shouldn't stop at Norma. I think a few days of continuous Donizetti, Rossini and Bellini will do the trick. It might of course just turn you into one of their "mad" heroines, but I'm willing to take the risk.
    I have to admit that I do love the mad scene from Lucia and there are odd arias and overtures by all three of the aforementioned composers I do listen to but I'm not keen on the full operas.
    Last edited by Barbebleu; Feb-05-2016 at 16:01.
    Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate!

  16. Likes The Conte liked this post
  17. #58
    Senior Member Headphone Hermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    I think it may be directed at me, though I'm not at all sure what precipitated it.
    I am completely perplexed, Greg - I've read and re-read what you posted on this thread recently and just don't see how the shoe fits your foot
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Berlioz, 1856

  18. Likes Tsaraslondon, Barbebleu liked this post
  19. #59
    Senior Member Headphone Hermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    Next you'll be telling me that I should listen to Donizzetti too!
    I don't say you should .... but I would recommend it.

    You might even enjoy it .... (and for a long time, I was one of those who would have denied all possibility of this happening)
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Berlioz, 1856

  20. Likes Tsaraslondon, The Conte, Barbebleu liked this post
  21. #60
    Senior Member Headphone Hermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    I have to admit that I do love the mad scene from Lucia and there are odd arias and overtures by all three of the aforementioned composers I do listen to but I'm not keen on the full operas.
    Aha! The manacles, the red-hot poker and memories of Edward II seem to have worked
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Berlioz, 1856

  22. Likes Tsaraslondon, The Conte, Barbebleu liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. La Sonnambula on DVD
    By Fritz Kobus in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: May-19-2018, 17:19
  2. Experience the magic of great Opera LIVE - La sonnambula
    By canepa in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep-16-2013, 21:25
  3. Recommendations Please?
    By shayna44 in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul-14-2013, 05:36
  4. Any recommendations?
    By fortyfourcaliber in forum Musicians
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug-08-2012, 18:33
  5. Recommendations please
    By JeffS in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb-08-2009, 07:53

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •