View Poll Results: What did you think of it?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it

    7 20.00%
  • Liked it

    14 40.00%
  • Not sure

    6 17.14%
  • Didn't like it

    5 14.29%
  • Hated it

    3 8.57%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: What did you think of the LePage "Machine" Met RING?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What did you think of the LePage "Machine" Met RING?

    Your impressions?
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

    "Life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all." Ian Anderson lyric

    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  2. #2
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I enjoyed the bits I've seen - at least it tries to show what Wagner wanted.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    is there a link to it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think parts of it are quite beautiful; others are disappointing. I think so much more could have been done with the ending, given the spectacular visuals at other points in the cycle. I hope that there will be improvements when the cycle returns (with the magnificent Christine Goerke as Brünnhilde).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like all cycles you can get on DVD there are stunning scenes such as the end of Das Rheingold and the opening of Walkure.
    Others don't work so well. But it is difficult to sustain over 4 operas and 15 hrs of music.

    I recommend it as a high quality version.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Considering the kind of productions that are thrust upon us today, as at Bayreuth, the LePage Ring is never less than good to watch. It had some really good ideas, I especially liked the descent into Nibelheim,
    But the flaw is the Brunnhilde. She really is quite poor, especially in Siegfried and GD. This stops me cold. I would watch only the Rheingold, Walkure Act 1 and Siegfried until he wakes the lady, then I switch off.
    For anyone who wants to get to know the Ring, more or less as Wagner wanted it done, they need look no further than this.

    For me, when I want to watch a Ring Cycle, I go to the Barenboim. It is still the best overall production, with the Chereau close behind. The singers are more or less on a par with each other, but the conductor seals it. Barenboim over Boulez any day.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SiegendesLicht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    3,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's not perfect, but better than most other stagings.
    ... yet for us will still remain the holy German art... (Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg)
    ***
    God gave all men all earth to love,
    But since our hearts are small,
    Ordained for each one spot should prove
    Beloved over all.
    R. Kipling

  8. Likes Itullian liked this post
  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Brünnhilde situation will be spectacularly good when the production returns in a couple of years. The role will be sung by Christine Goerke. In the opinion of many, she is the finest hochdramatische soprano in many, many years. I'm hearing her in Walküre next week in Toronto.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kineno View Post
    The Brünnhilde situation will be spectacularly good when the production returns in a couple of years. The role will be sung by Christine Goerke. In the opinion of many, she is the finest hochdramatische soprano in many, many years. I'm hearing her in Walküre next week in Toronto.
    Yes, Deborah Voigt is like many Brunnhilda's - good in small doses and she acts and moves well but the voice gets tired and a bit tiresome.

    I quite like new Barenboim Ring set from La Scalar. Certainly Das Rheingold is very good.

  11. #10
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I liked the Machine in principle--monumental like the Ring itself, yet endlessly changeable like the score's web of leitmotives. But Lepage seemed to get caught up in his giant toy at the expense of any clear direction for his performers. I almost wish he had entrusted the Personregie to a second director more skilled in such matters, leaving him free to devise more transformations for his set.
    Last edited by amfortas; Feb-02-2015 at 18:06.
    Alan

  12. Likes mountmccabe liked this post
  13. #11
    Senior Member Celloman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I felt that the Lepage struck a healthy balance between innovation and tradition. The shape-shifting set served the organic and seamless character of the operas and complimented the music rather than undercutting it as some modern productions seem to do. While the singing wasn't perfect (when is it?), I thought that the acting in general was adequate and there was plenty to enjoy.

  14. Likes SiegendesLicht liked this post
  15. #12
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    I liked the Machine in principle--monumental like the Ring itself, yet endlessly changeable like the score's web of leitmotives. But Lepage seemed to get caught up in his giant toy at the expense of any clear direction for his performers. I almost wish he had entrusted the Personregie to a second director more skilled in such matters, leaving him free to devise more transformations for his set.
    There were times when the visuals worked quite well as seen in picture, but many times it was a huge cumbersome artifact that forced stage action to bend to its mechanical limitations.



    The cast was OK but nothing to get really excited about, although Jonas Kaufman is really a magnificent Siegfried.

    The documentary disc is worth watching showing Gelb and Lepage fixation with finding a new way to present the Ring, the silly logic and rationale of final "machine" design (to emulate the flowing glacial fields if Iceland) the machine is very labor intensive to operate since every "plank" is controlled manually with ropes and pulleys.......takes many stage hands to control, very hard to get singers on and off the machine safely
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Feb-03-2015 at 05:42.

  16. Likes Itullian liked this post
  17. #13
    Senior Member Allanmcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    There were times when the visuals worked quite well as seen in picture, but many times it was a huge cumbersome artifact that forced stage action to bend to its mechanical limitations.



    The cast was OK but nothing to get really excited about, although Jonas Kaufman is really a magnificent Siegfried.

    The documentary disc is worth watching showing Gelb and Lepage fixation with finding a new way to present the Ring, the silly logic and rationale of final "machine" design (to emulate the flowing glacial fields if Iceland) the machine is very labor intensive to operate since every "plank" is controlled manually with ropes and pulleys.......takes many stage hands to control, very hard to get singers on and off the machine safely
    Hi DA. I assume you meant Siegmund! Bryan Terfel is not good in this. He barks his way through the cycle and Voight is merely tolerable. Sadly this is what we have to contend with vocally in the 21st century.
    As you go along life's highway make this your only goal, keep your eye upon the donut and not upon the hole!!

  18. Likes Bonetan liked this post
  19. #14
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allanmcf View Post
    Hi DA. I assume you meant Siegmund! Bryan Terfel is not good in this. He barks his way through the cycle and Voight is merely tolerable. Sadly this is what we have to contend with vocally in the 21st century.
    Correct you are with Siegmund (why do so many Ring names start with "sieg")

    I was lamenting to Itullian on the historical ring thread that after hearing all the great Brunhilde performances of Varnay in the 1950s Bayreuth seasons how can I go back to Voight in the MET Ring video without being let down.............

  20. #15
    Senior Member Albert7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Salted Lakers City, UT
    Posts
    7,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default

    No clue but kinda curious now to see it based on the jpegs here.
    "if a horse could sing in a monotone, the horse would sound like Carly Simon, only a horse wouldn't rhyme 'yacht', 'apricot', and 'gavotte'. Is that some kind of joke?"
    --Robert Christgau
    "there's a fine line between having an open mind and having your whole brain fall out"
    --Anonymous

    アルバート セブン

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who has seen the "Colon Ring"?
    By Parsifal1954 in forum Opera
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Dec-20-2015, 23:38
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun-03-2015, 13:42
  3. Recommend a "potted" Ring cycle RIGHT NOW!
    By Admiral in forum Opera
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jan-26-2015, 01:44
  4. "Dark", "Ominous", and "Foreboding" music
    By KYGray in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Jan-15-2015, 05:23
  5. "Lord of the Rings" - "May It Be" - Enya - Cover by "Elf Warrior" Elena House
    By arts in forum The Movie Corner: Music for Cinema and TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec-25-2012, 03:21

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •