Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: The Communist Manifesto, by Erwin Schulhoff

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rhombic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    University of York, UK
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Communist Manifesto, by Erwin Schulhoff

    Composed by Erwin Schulhoff, who was both jewish and communist and died in the concentration camp of Wülzburg, the history behind this composition is quite interesting.

    Someday, something will come out of anything.

  2. Likes ptr, elgars ghost liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Eastern and Northern
    Posts
    19,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default

    Can I get a recording of this? I'd love one if it's possible.
    Liberty for wolves is death to the lambs.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Rhombic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    University of York, UK
    Posts
    307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I assume that there might be a few out there.
    This is a relatively unknown composer, though, because he died rather young and he didn't really reach his compositional climax. Quite a shame.
    Someday, something will come out of anything.

  5. #4
    Senior Member science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Eastern and Northern
    Posts
    19,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default

    Schulhoff is fairly famous, I'd say. Most people on talkclassical will have heard music by him. But not this particular work!

    BIS or Hyperion or some company like that needs to get on this.
    Liberty for wolves is death to the lambs.

  6. Likes elgars ghost, Triplets liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    9,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, well! I never realised that this was available. As Science says, it would be nice to see this curio recorded again. I'm wondering if the recording here was made by Supraphon or another Czech label during the vinyl era but has never seen the light on CD?
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Schulhoff has become fairly well known as Science notes. There were recording series dedicated to composers that the Nazis labeled degenerate, and Schulhoff, Gidon Klein, Viktor Ullman, Pavel Haas have been the principal beneficiaries of this attention.
    Schuloff's music contains a lot of jazzy elements, and I have heard part of another piece, a Cantata, that was essentially Communist agitprop.
    All of the Composers that I mention above wrote interesting Music and while their bios are compelling and sad, thier Art stands on it's own, interesting for it's own sake. Having said that, I am not sure that The Communist Manifesto is something that I would want to hear set to music.

  9. #7
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    9,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triplets View Post
    Schulhoff has become fairly well known as Science notes. There were recording series dedicated to composers that the Nazis labeled degenerate, and Schulhoff, Gidon Klein, Viktor Ullman, Pavel Haas have been the principal beneficiaries of this attention.
    Schuloff's music contains a lot of jazzy elements, and I have heard part of another piece, a Cantata, that was essentially Communist agitprop.
    All of the Composers that I mention above wrote interesting Music and while their bios are compelling and sad, thier Art stands on it's own, interesting for it's own sake. Having said that, I am not sure that The Communist Manifesto is something that I would want to hear set to music.
    Lotte Lenya recalled that that was how Kurt Weill felt about Berthold Brecht towards the end of their collaborative era.
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  10. #8
    Senior Member Ukko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Lotte Lenya recalled that that was how Kurt Weill felt about Berthold Brecht towards the end of their collaborative era.
    My reading suggests that Berlin was an, ah, unusual environment in the decade before the National Socialists put the clamps on it.
    I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized that people don't like me anyway.

  11. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  12. #9
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    9,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukko View Post
    My reading suggests that Berlin was an, ah, unusual environment in the decade before the National Socialists put the clamps on it.
    Interesting, without doubt - a very fertile time for the arts but also time when a barrowload of 'papiermarks' didn't buy you much (well, for the first half of the decade at least...)

    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukko View Post
    My reading suggests that Berlin was an, ah, unusual environment in the decade before the National Socialists put the clamps on it.
    Right you are. An attractive-in-many-ways decadence, that started to erode in 1926/7 with the rat Goebbels' propoganda and thuggery.

  14. Likes Il_Penseroso liked this post
  15. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukko View Post
    My reading suggests that Berlin was an, ah, unusual environment in the decade before the National Socialists put the clamps on it.
    Have you seen the movie Cabaret?
    Interestingly the Nazis were weakest Politically in Berlin before the war. Munich was their original base but in Berlin they tended to poll behind the Social Democrats, and about equal with the Communists. Hitler had appointed his most effective Propagandist, Goebbels, as his Gauleiter (Party Leader) for Berlin in in an attempt to improve their fortunes. They viewed the decadent capital as somewhat of a Sodom.

  16. Likes science liked this post
  17. #12
    Senior Member Il_Penseroso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Persia
    Posts
    1,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Right you are. An attractive-in-many-ways decadence, that started to erode in 1926/7 with the rat Goebbels' propoganda and thuggery.
    Goebbels had PhD in German Literature and organized the book burnings! What a terrible contradiction for a Mensch (human being)! I'm always scared even more of a wise but dangerous man who is quite aware of what sort of catastrophe he/she is doing to the world rather than a foolish one who just blindly obey what has injected in their mind by the others.
    In a world which is ruled by gangsters and maniacs, art means nothing but just a junk food and there's no hope for human's salvation throughout... (Shāmlou)

  18. #13
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Recording avaiable on lp

    Quote Originally Posted by science View Post
    Can I get a recording of this? I'd love one if it's possible.
    There is a recording available on LP number 1.12.2100. It was recorded in 1976 and issued the following year. As far as I am aware there is no CD and given the shift in political allegiance over the last 40 years |I suspect it may get 'lost' in the archives of Supraphon, which is a pity as it's an impressive work

  19. Likes science liked this post
  20. #14
    Victor Redseal
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il_Penseroso View Post
    Goebbels had PhD in German Literature and organized the book burnings! What a terrible contradiction for a Mensch (human being)! I'm always scared even more of a wise but dangerous man who is quite aware of what sort of catastrophe he/she is doing to the world rather than a foolish one who just blindly obey what has injected in their mind by the others.
    They go hand-in-hand, don't they? The only reason the former can ever make their mark on the world is that they have legions of thousands and thousands of the latter following them.

  21. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Setting the communist manifesto to music, that's a good one. Can't wait for the Dictionary being set to music.

  22. Likes Bulldog liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. composer's manifesto
    By Lifeolga in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec-02-2014, 11:06
  2. Getting communist marches on a higher artistic level
    By MilanStevanovich in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jan-12-2014, 21:08
  3. taking a break from the burden - a manifesto
    By science in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Apr-10-2011, 18:40

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •