Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: wonderfull idea about classical music

  1. #1
    Senior Member deprofundis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default wonderfull idea about classical music

    In north america place like canada, people dont go to Church anymore so churches should have a purpose, we should transform our white Church into black Church.

    I will explain, notice in some black Church there is music, this is what drawn people to Church not the sermons.So we should use these Church for concert , classical concert that is.

    Notice how a Church is an idea place for a classical concert since it's spacy, just notice how the Church organ sound rad so imagine Messiaen concert in your local Church is organ work or
    whatever, you get the idea.

    Im sad to see Churches are close here in north america most of the time because of thieves, churches should be a place of music and classical fit in sutch a place.

    Than charge money for admission so the churches could give it to the poor or the third world country that struggle(hypotetical i dont know).

    So is it a good idea??

  2. #2
    Sr. Moderator Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire (ex-Glasgow)
    Posts
    4,456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    One big problem.

    Here in the UK we regularly go to concerts in churches. Many of them are ancient buildings and subject to planning permission - so they have insufficient toilet facilities. Same thing applies to some theatres as well.

    There is also the question of interval drinks - many will not have wet bar facilities.

    Basically a good idea and adopted by many churches here. Some churches have been de-consecrated and turned into dedicated arts centres.
    Music begins where words leave off. Music expresses the inexpressible.

  3. Likes deprofundis, science, hpowders and 2 others liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    15,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You're probably in a different region of the country. Out in Nashville, we don't have that many empty churches. Also, a lot of our bigger mainstream churches regularly host classical music. So I guess I can't help you with your problem.

  5. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member GreenMamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,923
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trying to lure people to Church by playing music most of them don't care about doesn't seem like a winning idea. Charging them money in the process only makes it worse.

  7. Likes Cosmos, science, Jos and 2 others liked this post
  8. #5
    Senior Member ahammel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deprofundis View Post
    In north america place like canada, people dont go to Church anymore
    I've lived in Canada all my life, and this is news to me

    Are you under the impression that churches don't already sometimes hold musical events? I was at one not a month ago.

  9. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    One big problem.

    Here in the UK we regularly go to concerts in churches. Many of them are ancient buildings and subject to planning permission - so they have insufficient toilet facilities. Same thing applies to some theatres as well.

    There is also the question of interval drinks - many will not have wet bar facilities.

    Basically a good idea and adopted by many churches here. Some churches have been de-consecrated and turned into dedicated arts centres.
    Some of the best acoustical settings for music are indeed churches.
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  11. Likes Vaneyes, Jos, Ingélou and 1 others liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Eindhoven, the Netherland
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    Some of the best acoustical settings for music are indeed churches.
    Although the quality of the seats leaves something to be desired........

    Recently went to a small baroque concerto in a church in my town. Oh, the cold and the seats......Spartan

  13. Likes Ingélou, Taggart, hpowders and 2 others liked this post
  14. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apart from Sunday services, Churches as long as I can remember have provided space to play for classical music commercial interests. Such as recording, or performances for a paying audience.

    These have been wins, wins, wins for everyone. The churches make money, the producers make money. And sometimes, the artists even make money.

    As HP points out, some of the finest recorded sounds are from churches.

    Closed churches are a sad affair. Turning them into restaurants, retail shops, whatever.

  15. Likes Ingélou, Taggart, hpowders and 1 others liked this post
  16. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    Although the quality of the seats leaves something to be desired........

    Recently went to a small baroque concerto in a church in my town. Oh, the cold and the seats......Spartan
    And of course, if you get to sit next to someone in the church who hasn't showered in a couple of months-P-EW!!!
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  17. Likes Blancrocher, Vaneyes, Jos and 2 others liked this post
  18. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WARNING: Mini-rant for today. Pews are the most uncomfortable seating option known to man. I'd rather sit on a rock. Pews are meant to keep people awake/tortured for The Word of God. No doubt they're successful in that venture, and also reducing repeat visits.

  19. Likes hpowders, Jos, Figleaf and 1 others liked this post
  20. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    18,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I always bring lumbar support. Rarely, spiritual support.
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  21. Likes Taggart, Figleaf, Vaneyes and 2 others liked this post
  22. #12
    Senior Member GioCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    2,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    Some of the best acoustical settings for music are indeed churches.
    Not at all for me. Churches are usually awful for music. Full of echoes and reverberations. Sometimes you feel like being in a cavern.
    I have many experiences in singing in churches (I used to sing in a choir) including the most famous ones such as St. Mark in Venice or the Duomo in Milan, and I can assure you I wouldn't ever exchange a church with a proper concert hall.
    Honestly I am thinking that they use churches as recording venues because they are cheaper - and then they proceed with a good sound engineering...
    Of course there are relevant exceptions, but this is my experience.
    Last edited by GioCar; Jan-26-2015 at 23:35. Reason: grammar

  23. Likes Figleaf, Vaneyes, Ingélou liked this post
  24. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GioCar View Post
    Not at all for me. Churches are usually awful for music. Full of echoes and reverberations. Sometimes you feel like being in a cavern.
    I have many experiences in singing in churches (I used to sing in a choir) including the most famous ones such as St. Mark in Venice or the Duomo in Milan, and I can assure you I wouldn't ever exchange a church with a proper concert hall.
    Honestly I am thinking that they use churches as recording venues because they are cheaper - and then they proceed with a good sound engineering...
    Of course there are relevant exceptions, but this is my experience.
    You're right, GioCar, many of the larger churches such as cathedrals are poor acoustic representatives. I think both HP and myself were referring to smaller churches, some of which could be chapels. Some of us from time to time mention the smaller variety while posting to the Current Listening thread. Note: HP can speak for hisself of course. Ciao!
    Last edited by Vaneyes; Jan-28-2015 at 18:54.

  25. Likes GioCar, Ingélou liked this post
  26. #14
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    26,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Closed churches are a sad affair. Turning them into restaurants, retail shops, whatever.
    Nearby where we live:

    Attachment 62442

  27. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  28. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Churches transformed to bars and nightclubs. Playing the Devil's music.


  29. Likes Blancrocher, hpowders liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct-07-2013, 16:00
  2. Wonderfull instrumental piece of music!
    By Poterium in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb-16-2013, 12:05
  3. Modern Remixes of Classical Music: A Good Idea or Demeaning?
    By Welsh Classical Fan in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Apr-19-2012, 22:59
  4. Classical Dictionary Idea?
    By Mahler Maniac in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul-14-2007, 07:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •