Page 290 of 331 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300 ... LastLast
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 4962

Thread: Historical Wagner Recordings...............

  1. #4336
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granate View Post
    AAAAAAAAAARG Please share the links. I've been searching japazon for half an hour!
    Got it off Amazon.com third party seller. Used but listed as great condition. I’ve spent months hunting this set. Still kick myself for all the times I had it in my cart when it was available easily and didn’t pull the trigger. It taught me a lesson on these historic recordings get them right away or pay more later. If I come across another I’ll let you know ASAP.

  2. #4337
    Member Music Snob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granate View Post
    AAAAAAAAAARG Please share the links. I've been searching japazon for half an hour!
    https://www.amazon.fr/sp?_encoding=U...b=&vasStoreID=

    https://www.amazon.es/sp?_encoding=U...b=&vasStoreID=

    Here is the Japazon profile on both the amazon France and Spain websites. I bought the Parsifal 54 and Gotterdammerung 57 Kna from each one respectively.
    http://www.jonmurphyart.com/

    "Owing to the present mania for Regie and decor, which is a cancer on operatic life, much too much money is being spent on these two aspects of opera. This disease, this tyranny must be broken." Walter Legge

  3. #4338
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granate View Post
    I agree with this so much. Windgassen will always be my favourite Parsifal, and these two performances are easily his best, also counting his remarkable 63 show-off.

    But how did you get 1954? Only a CD from OperaDepot would be available, unless you found a decent old archipel copy.
    Obviously the one the true aficionado needs is the non-existent '55 Parsifal. I'm sure that Bavarian Radio must have a recording languishing in their vaults. They recorded everything at Bayreuth. Why would this be an exception!!
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  4. Likes The Conte liked this post
  5. #4339
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    Obviously the one the true aficionado needs is the non-existent '55 Parsifal. I'm sure that Bavarian Radio must have a recording languishing in their vaults. They recorded everything at Bayreuth. Why would this be an exception!!
    But why do we need it, is it supposed to be a good one?

    N.

  6. #4340
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    But why do we need it, is it supposed to be a good one?

    N.
    No clue. It might be a complete dud but it's purely because it's the only Knappertsbusch Parsifal for that year that I don't have. I have one for every other year and it offends my sensibilities that I haven't got the set!!
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  7. Likes The Conte, kineno, nospoonboy and 1 others liked this post
  8. #4341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Picked up a couple of Wagner recordings in Opera Depot's 50% off sale this week one of which is a recording of Lohengrin from Marseille with Janos Furst conducting and Alberto Remedios as Lohengrin. There is no date but given that Furst was MD at the Maseille opera from 1981 to 1990 I'm assuming it is from that period. Anybody have an inkling? Google has been less than illuminating!!

    The other one I got is their free download of Tannhäuser from Covent Garden in 1973 with Jessye Norman as Elisabeth.

    Wotan knows when I'll get around to hearing them
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  9. Likes Itullian, Revitalized Classics liked this post
  10. #4342
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    Picked up a couple of Wagner recordings in Opera Depot's 50% off sale this week one of which is a recording of Lohengrin from Marseille with Janos Furst conducting and Alberto Remedios as Lohengrin. There is no date but given that Furst was MD at the Maseille opera from 1981 to 1990 I'm assuming it is from that period. Anybody have an inkling? Google has been less than illuminating!!

    The other one I got is their free download of Tannhäuser from Covent Garden in 1973 with Jessye Norman as Elisabeth.

    Wotan knows when I'll get around to hearing them
    Looks like December 1983 for the Lohengrin

    Décembre 1983, Lohengrin J. Furst / J. Karpo, L. Rysanek, A. Remedios, D. Mac Intyre, V. Von Halem
    Source: http://odb-opera.com/joomfinal/index...owall=&start=1

  11. Likes Barbebleu liked this post
  12. #4343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revitalized Classics View Post
    Looks like December 1983 for the Lohengrin



    Source: http://odb-opera.com/joomfinal/index...owall=&start=1
    Thank you for that. I'll be adding that resource to my favourites!
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  13. Likes Revitalized Classics liked this post
  14. #4344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just finished listening to Turandot, Buenos Aires, 1965 with Nilsson, Caballe and Usonov. Blinding stuff. The audience cheered them to the rafters and deservedly so.
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  15. Likes Granate liked this post
  16. #4345
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A shame that Wagner didn't live long enough to complete Turandot...

  17. Likes kineno liked this post
  18. #4346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in PA View Post
    A shame that Wagner didn't live long enough to complete Turandot...
    Yeah, I realised too late that I'd posted in the wrong thread! Doh!!
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

  19. #4347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is anybody familiar with this release?

    Rheingold.jpg

    There are a couple of annoying cuts in scene one in this release. These sound as if the source used was vinyl and the record skipped and there is no way that they could be cuts in the performance as the sound suddenly skips in the middle of someone singing to a point later on in the performance. I conclude that the performance was complete and that this issue was badly transferred from a vinyl source or that something happened with the radio broadcast (signal dropped out?) and that part of the recording was chopped out for this release (or the version that this was copied from).

    Does anyone know the reason for this? Is there another version that has the missing segments?

    N.

  20. #4348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    Is anybody familiar with this release?

    Rheingold.jpg

    There are a couple of annoying cuts in scene one in this release. These sound as if the source used was vinyl and the record skipped and there is no way that they could be cuts in the performance as the sound suddenly skips in the middle of someone singing to a point later on in the performance. I conclude that the performance was complete and that this issue was badly transferred from a vinyl source or that something happened with the radio broadcast (signal dropped out?) and that part of the recording was chopped out for this release (or the version that this was copied from).

    Does anyone know the reason for this? Is there another version that has the missing segments?

    N.
    It's ok, I've solved it. I played it again and this time the disc didn't skip. I guess my player got excited at its first sampling of the Kna '58 Ring!

    N.

  21. Likes DarkAngel, Granate liked this post
  22. #4349
    Senior Member Granate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    It's ok, I've solved it. I played it again and this time the disc didn't skip. I guess my player got excited at its first sampling of the Kna '58 Ring!

    N.

  23. Likes The Conte, kineno, nospoonboy liked this post
  24. #4350
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Other threads here have greatly expanded my Furtwangler collection recently with the new SACD BP boxset and a few Japanese Tahra 4-6 CD boxset re-issues ........none of these have Furtwangler Wagner works only Pristine XR streaming!

    Andrew Rose at Pristine Classical has some comments on the Berlin set in his Nov 29 newsletter.

    BD8467EF-FBEC-4B2C-A995-4412CF528E32.jpg
    Last edited by inglis; Dec-13-2019 at 17:43.

  25. Likes DarkAngel liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Great historical recordings
    By Xytech in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: Nov-26-2018, 17:02
  2. Do you have a problem with historical recordings?
    By Seattleoperafan in forum Opera
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: Jun-06-2018, 16:43
  3. A video to convince those who don't like historical recordings...
    By bigshot in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct-17-2014, 11:53
  4. Wagner Between the Wars (1926-1938) Free Historical Xfers
    By bigshot in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul-24-2012, 16:37
  5. Historical recordings
    By Lisztfreak in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: Jul-20-2007, 01:39

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •