Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Letter to ROH

  1. #1
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Letter to ROH

    This letter was published (in the Guardian of course) with musicians urging the ROH not to accept sponsorship from BP. I just hope they apply the same standards to themselves when driving their cars, heating and lighting their homes, etc..

    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...al-opera-house

  2. Likes Albert7 liked this post
  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    This letter was published (in the Guardian of course) with musicians urging the ROH not to accept sponsorship from BP. I just hope they apply the same standards to themselves when driving their cars, heating and lighting their homes, etc..

    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...al-opera-house
    Good. BP has zero respect for our environment — greedy degenerates.

  4. Likes Albert7, joen_cph liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morimur View Post
    Good. BP has zero respect for our environment — greedy degenerates.
    I take it you don't share in their degeneration by heating your home or driving a car then?

  6. #4
    dogen
    Guest

    Default

    The OP seems more "Politics" than "Opera."

  7. Likes Figleaf, GreenMamba liked this post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Weston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have to heat our homes of course, but that is the coal industry, not BP. Yes, of course it's just as bad, but I'll draw the line at suicide for the environment.

    I do not drive a car however.

  9. Likes MrTortoise liked this post
  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never heard of any of these"musicians". If it was Rod Stewart or Kylie Minogue I'd might be impressed. And to the Guardian too, how original.

    How do these "musicians" think world class opera singers travel to Covent Garden? By pony and trap, and sailing ship? Next time Jonas Kauffman is invited to sing, these "musicians" can add, only if you bicycle from Germany.

    As for BP, I saw a bit of their big screen Don Giovanni at Trafalgar Square last night. The set up was amazing and the sound incredible for an open air broadcast.

  11. Likes DavidA, Don Fatale, Ingélou liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Don Fatale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I thought I knew something about classical music, but I've pretty much drawn a blank from this list.

    Don Fatale, Composer
    Last edited by Don Fatale; Jul-04-2015 at 13:08.

  13. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Levanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I saw of their big screen Don Giovanni last night in Nottingham. Is not that big screen at all. I enjoyed anyway.

  15. Likes Ingélou, Figleaf, Vaneyes liked this post
  16. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I take it you don't share in their degeneration by heating your home or driving a car then?
    BP doesn't heat my apartament and I don't own a car. And even if you'd been correct, that still wouldn't negate the truth: BP doesn't give a single solitary f@ck about our environment — they are contributing to its destruction. Why? $$$$ — that's all BP sees. To hell with the world so long as BP has money in the bank, right? Bunch of criminals.
    Last edited by Morimur; Jul-04-2015 at 18:34.

  17. Likes Bulldog, Figleaf, Albert7 and 2 others liked this post
  18. #10
    Senior Member MrTortoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA - Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston View Post
    We have to heat our homes of course, but that is the coal industry, not BP. Yes, of course it's just as bad, but I'll draw the line at suicide for the environment.

    I do not drive a car however.
    All the more impressive being a Nashvillian!

  19. Likes Weston liked this post
  20. #11
    dogen
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loge View Post
    Never heard of any of these"musicians". If it was Rod Stewart or Kylie Minogue I'd might be impressed. And to the Guardian too, how original.

    How do these "musicians" think world class opera singers travel to Covent Garden? By pony and trap, and sailing ship? Next time Jonas Kauffman is invited to sing, these "musicians" can add, only if you bicycle from Germany.

    As for BP, I saw a bit of their big screen Don Giovanni at Trafalgar Square last night. The set up was amazing and the sound incredible for an open air broadcast.
    Composers, musicians and researchers I think it said. OK, so you've not heard of John Luther Adams, but would be "impressed" if the letter was written by Rod Stewart or Kylie Minogue? Perhaps they prefer to keep their environmental concerns private.

    Should the letter have been sent to a more "original" publication? Why? Which one? Something fans of Kylie and Rod read maybe?

  21. Likes joen_cph liked this post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Weston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTortoise View Post
    All the more impressive being a Nashvillian!
    Not so impressive maybe. In Nashville, my bike is about as fast as the cars during rush hour. These days, sometimes faster.

  23. Likes MrTortoise, SiegendesLicht liked this post
  24. #13
    Senior Member Barbebleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    (not so)Great Britain
    Posts
    4,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Musicians would be better served commenting only on musical matters. Cobbler, stick to thy last. If we boycotted every multi-national and its satellites then we would all be listening to live music by candlelight while huddling up each other to keep warm.
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

    ‘When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!‘

    ‘Common sense is not a gift, it's a curse. Because you have to deal with people who don't possess it!’

  25. Likes Vaneyes liked this post
  26. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oil, under the guise of any company, is dirty business. I do prefer Shell for my car, however. Re sponsoring, take their money gladly.

  27. Likes Barbebleu liked this post
  28. #15
    Senior Member MrTortoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA - Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston View Post
    Not so impressive maybe. In Nashville, my bike is about as fast as the cars during rush hour. These days, sometimes faster.
    I believe it! I have to time my commute to and from work or risk being stuck in gridlock.

  29. Likes Weston liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Letter of Witness
    By Kostja in forum Politics and Religion in Classical Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun-12-2015, 20:28
  2. Which Letter?
    By schuberkovich in forum Classical Music Discussion Polls
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May-17-2013, 19:05
  3. Tchaikovsky Letter
    By falcoz2003 in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May-05-2009, 14:06
  4. An open letter
    By Mayerl in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul-30-2008, 12:33

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •