Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: noob looking for Blu-Ray only recommendations

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default noob looking for Blu-Ray only recommendations

    Have you ever searched for an opera on Amazon, only to be flabbergasted by the amount of options available to you? What makes my choice harder is that the obvious "great voices" (Pavarotti, Domingo, Vickers, Gedda, Bjorling etc) are simply not present on Blu-Ray and my limited operatic culture prevents me from choosing a production over another by virtue of the main actors.

    Cases in point - I am looking to fill a few gaping holes in my musical culture and I need help to choose the best Blu-Ray version of the following:

    Le Nozze Di Figaro - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=383379011

    Madama Butterfly - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=383379011

    Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/re...rnid=383379011

    If you have the time, please check Amazon's listings above and reply with the version you think is heads and shoulders above the rest

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe I should've titled the thread differently? Bump.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I ended up buying:

    Prey/Freni/Te Kanawa's Nozze di Figaro - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Nozze...dp/B0007P0LNO/
    (way cheaper and apparently a must-see; I'll decide on a BR version if I really, really like this one)

    Freni/Domingo's Madama Butterfly - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madama-Butte...dp/B00LBMWB1M/

    The Glyndebourne Festival version of Die Meistersinger... - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Die-M...dp/B008GY8R98/

    I hope I'll like them

  4. #4
    Senior Member sospiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sorcered View Post
    Maybe I should've titled the thread differently? Bump.
    I don't have a Blu-Ray player so couldn't recommend any
    Ann

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I don't have a Blu-Ray player so couldn't recommend any

    Besides that Annie, isn't all very subjective?
    I mean, that either you like the performance or not and that Blu-ray has nothing to do with it ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    Besides that Annie, isn't all very subjective?
    I mean, that either you like the performance or not and that Blu-ray has nothing to do with it ?
    Well every recommendation is very subjective isn't it? Blu-Ray has everything to do with it for the OP. So I guess it's a matter of, if there's a performance you like and would recommend to other people, does it have Blu-Ray available as an option.

    To the OP: I'm more of a listener than an opera viewer, however there are a few operas that I really did enjoy on video. I prefer Blu-Ray when possible, but take whatever the library has to offer! I'll look em up for you in awhile
    Stabat Mater & Requiem Project:

    REQUIEMS
    Dvorak
    Faure Requiem
    Mozart
    Rossini
    Salieri
    Verdi

    STABAT MATERS
    Boccherini
    Dvorak
    Haydn
    Mayr
    Poulenc
    Rossini
    Steffani
    Vivaldi

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sorcered View Post
    Have you ever searched for an opera on Amazon, only to be flabbergasted by the amount of options available to you? What makes my choice harder is that the obvious "great voices" (Pavarotti, Domingo, Vickers, Gedda, Bjorling etc) are simply not present on Blu-Ray and my limited operatic culture prevents me from choosing a production over another by virtue of the main actors.

    Cases in point - I am looking to fill a few gaping holes in my musical culture and I need help to choose the best Blu-Ray version of the following:

    Le Nozze Di Figaro - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=383379011

    Madama Butterfly - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...rnid=383379011

    Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/re...rnid=383379011

    If you have the time, please check Amazon's listings above and reply with the version you think is heads and shoulders above the rest

    Thank you!
    Did you find anything?

Similar Threads

  1. Critique a Noob?
    By MrVoize in forum Today's Composers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Oct-15-2010, 00:25
  2. Hello from a real noob
    By SimonH in forum New Members - Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jul-21-2010, 15:46
  3. Noob to site and classical music
    By wierdal in forum New Members - Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov-06-2009, 21:38
  4. Noob Classical Piece Help
    By alec4444 in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct-24-2008, 18:10
  5. Noob Question
    By Rizard in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun-17-2007, 07:14

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •