Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 1192

Thread: Ridiculous bargains, CDs and MP3s thread

  1. #781
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Unfortunately, editing metadata is a fact of life with classical music. CD's, of course, produce no metadata at all, although FreeDB and Musicbranz help. Editing a 20 track CD often takes an hour out of my life.

  2. Likes gardibolt liked this post
  3. #782
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. So that's gonna be a no go.
    Bach Guild does that with some of these sets, although only a few of them. I would never tag 167 tracks. Personally, I have listened to all of this box and it isn't one of my favorites . Way too much harpsichord for me.
    I don't live in the past,
    there's no future in it.

  4. #783
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    There used to be a website that listed all the titles on the Bach Guild releases. I would use it to correct tags.

  5. #784
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    There used to be a website that listed all the titles on the Bach Guild releases. I would use it to correct tags.
    It's there at thebachguild.net - all the releases I've checked have listings of tracks including composer, work and performer. Some don't have the track number against the information which makes it a bit harder.

  6. #785
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I finally pulled the trigger on one of these Bach Guild boxes, the Shostakovich. The music itself is great so far. Mostly historical recordings, but at least a few that are more recent. Most of the metadata was halfway decent too. I didn't have to do terribly much editing. Anyway, I'm sold. I'll probably get at least another couple of these for other composers that are lacking in my library.

    What are some favorites of those of you who are familiar with these Bach Guild "boxes"? Definitely an exciting way to build a library, but I'm afraid at least a few of these will consist of largely subpar performances. Otherwise it'd be too good to be true.

    This one looks promising:

    https://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Leonha...dp/B008A4OXKG/
    Last edited by flamencosketches; May-31-2019 at 01:55.

  7. #786
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't think any of them have subpar recordings. They may not be the number one choice, but all the stuff I've heard in these download big boxes is solid.

  8. #787
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger on one of these Bach Guild boxes, the Shostakovich. The music itself is great so far. Mostly historical recordings, but at least a few that are more recent. Most of the metadata was halfway decent too. I didn't have to do terribly much editing. Anyway, I'm sold. I'll probably get at least another couple of these for other composers that are lacking in my library.

    What are some favorites of those of you who are familiar with these Bach Guild "boxes"? Definitely an exciting way to build a library, but I'm afraid at least a few of these will consist of largely subpar performances. Otherwise it'd be too good to be true.

    This one looks promising:

    https://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Leonha...dp/B008A4OXKG/
    I have quite a number of them.

    Brahms has my favorite Hungarian Dances.

    Vivaldi has an excellent 4 seasons.

    The English, French, and Piano boxes have so many good and sometimes lesser known works that I won't attempt to mention them. Tchaikovsky and Mahler boxes are also solid.

    The Utah Symphony, The Royal Philharmonic, and the Vienna State opera orchestra (which is mostly Vienna Phil. musicians) are prominently featured Orchestras and rarely turn out a bad offering.

    Yes, every box has weak links and some poorer sound quality tracks, but the good more than makes up for that. And you do run into a few baaadd performances once in a while (some hideously dull Dvorak symphonies and some puzzlingly poor Adrian Boult Beethoven symphonies). I look past those.
    Last edited by Oldhoosierdude; May-31-2019 at 04:11.
    I don't live in the past,
    there's no future in it.

  9. Likes flamencosketches liked this post
  10. #788
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://play.openmusiclibrary.org/li...promo-20190604

    Open Music Library free download for this month.
    Mahler symphony no 5. recording by WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste, 2014.
    86725.jpg
    I don't live in the past,
    there's no future in it.

  11. #789
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    https://play.openmusiclibrary.org/li...promo-20190604

    Open Music Library free download for this month.
    Mahler symphony no 5. recording by WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste, 2014.
    86725.jpg
    Thank you. I love the work, it's a recent favorite, but don't know the conductor or orchestra. I don't know if I would have bought this recording (even if it was $1), but for free, it's a no brainer.

    I'm also thinking of purchasing the Abravnel/Utah Mahler cycle for $1 on Amazon, anyone familiar with this cycle? I've heard it's the first complete Mahler cycle and is somewhat in the vein of Leonard Bernstein's slightly later recordings.
    Last edited by flamencosketches; Jun-05-2019 at 23:39.

  12. #790
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    Thank you. I love the work, it's a recent favorite, but don't know the conductor or orchestra. I don't know if I would have bought this recording (even if it was $1), but for free, it's a no brainer.

    I'm also thinking of purchasing the Abravnel/Utah Mahler cycle for $1 on Amazon, anyone familiar with this cycle? I've heard it's the first complete Mahler cycle and is somewhat in the vein of Leonard Bernstein's slightly later recordings.
    The only review I saw for this recording was quite critical. I have listened and find this recording has something to say about the work. I think I like it. On Amazon this download is $8.99, which I wouldn't have paid.

    Yes, I have that cycle of mahler by the Utah Symphony. I like it very much. Not a bad performance in the bunch with the 4th being the best. Abravenel, like Bernstein was devoted to Mahler's Symphonies and it shows. It is the Utah Symphony, not the NYPO or tje Berlin Philharmonic. Some say a little underpowered at times but decide for yourself.
    I don't live in the past,
    there's no future in it.

  13. Likes flamencosketches liked this post
  14. #791
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    https://play.openmusiclibrary.org/li...promo-20190604

    Open Music Library free download for this month.
    Mahler symphony no 5. recording by WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste, 2014.
    86725.jpg
    Listening to this now (in the Adagietto). IMO it's a fine performance, quite crisp (which is a benefit) without being dry. And...the price is right!


  15. #792
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post

    I'm also thinking of purchasing the Abravnel/Utah Mahler cycle for $1 on Amazon, anyone familiar with this cycle? I've heard it's the first complete Mahler cycle and is somewhat in the vein of Leonard Bernstein's slightly later recordings.
    It's a good, basic set of Mahler symphonies. For a dollar it's a steal, however I never play it as there are far better Mahler recordings out there. I'd get it, decide what kind / symphonies of Mahler you like (not all are equally loved by all) and then hunt down individual recordings. I still maintain you can make up a much better Mahler symphony cycle from individual recordings and pretty inexpensively if you go down the pre-owned CD route. If you're gonna get a cycle then save up for Gielen, Bertini or Tennstedt but I'd definitely go with individual recordings. And yes Abravanel's 4th is the best of his set, IMO.
    Last edited by Merl; Jun-06-2019 at 07:08.

  16. #793
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I do have Bernstein's NYPO cycle already (got it for cheap too) and I'm totally satisfied with it (though I don't like the 1st on it). I'd only want the Abravnel for comparative listening, which may turn out to be unnecessary if not much will vary between the two besides the sound of the orchestra. I think I'll save it for when I finally get around to buying a new hard drive.
    Last edited by flamencosketches; Jun-06-2019 at 11:15.

  17. #794
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    Well, I do have Bernstein's NYPO cycle already (got it for cheap too) and I'm totally satisfied with it (though I don't like the 1st on it). I'd only want the Abravnel for comparative listening, which may turn out to be unnecessary if not much will vary between the two besides the sound of the orchestra. I think I'll save it for when I finally get around to buying a new hard drive.
    Maurice Abravanel worked and was associated with Bruno Walter in Paris in the 1920s and of course Bruno Walter was a friend and colleague of Gustav Mahler. This undoubtedly affected his interpretation of the Mahler symphonies, which I find particularly excellent and of consistently high quality, though perhaps not definitive, even with a lesser orchestra than the New York Phil that Mahler himself had conducted around 1910. Abravanel is lesser known because he was an orchestra builder with the Utah Symphony Orchestra. He was also very interested in promoting new music... and he championed it.
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Jun-06-2019 at 13:04.
    "That's all Folks!"

  18. Likes arpeggio, flamencosketches liked this post
  19. #795
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    The only review I saw for this recording was quite critical. I have listened and find this recording has something to say about the work. I think I like it. On Amazon this download is $8.99, which I wouldn't have paid.
    For those who prefer physical media, Berkshire has this for $4.99. The Fanfare review, written by Huntley Dent, is quite positive.

Similar Threads

  1. $.99 Cent Bargains
    By sdtom in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Apr-24-2017, 02:02
  2. Ridiculous stuff
    By Dim7 in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul-30-2015, 14:15
  3. Bargains in Geneva
    By jayeff in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb-03-2015, 10:19
  4. Sounds great, looks ridiculous
    By ahammel in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Dec-01-2013, 21:08
  5. Ridiculous Recitals
    By OboeKnight in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar-05-2013, 10:33

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •