Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122
Results 1,816 to 1,827 of 1827

Thread: Strange stories and bizarre news

  1. #1816
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hiding money that way -- it's just fundamentally wrong.


  2. #1817
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like, he's so rich he's got money coming out of his a$$.

  3. #1818
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Scarpia View Post
    He looks visibly altered in this photo taken upon his return to the White House.



    I suspect the steroids have pushed down the inflammation response and made him feel better in the short term. But the virus may come roaring back.
    Would you like to make a small bet? He's very much fitter and strong and I am, that's for sure.

  4. #1819
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Like, he's so rich he's got money coming out of his a$$.
    He's gotta be an#l-retentive? He needs an economic colonic irrigation! (This latter is what I suggested to my sister had happened to the elderly, indigent males she meets on the internet dating sites; those men who have no cash because their partners have made off with it!!)
    Last edited by Christabel; Oct-18-2020 at 04:41.

  5. #1820
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    13,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Scarpia View Post
    He looks visibly altered in this photo taken upon his return to the White House.



    I suspect the steroids have pushed down the inflammation response and made him feel better in the short term. But the virus may come roaring back.
    You or I would look something like that too if we had a bad head cold. I saw him on You Tube at the Michigan rally today and he looked his usual healthy self. Even at his first rally after he was sick, he looked perfectly normal.
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Oct-18-2020 at 05:30.
    Media lies and dishonest governors managed to get Americans give up their liberties over a virus with a >99% survival rate.

  6. Likes Christabel liked this post
  7. #1821
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixFootScowl View Post
    You or I would look something like that too if we had a bad head cold. I saw him on You Tube at the Michigan rally today and he looked his usual healthy self. Even at his first rally after he was sick, he looked perfectly normal.
    He probably won't be feeling so hot in a couple of weeks, though!!!

  8. Likes SixFootScowl liked this post
  9. #1822
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, this isn't a 'strange' story per se but a funny experience from teaching which I was sharing with somebody who was here last night. In fact, I've told the story many times as it suits the Australian sense of humour.

    I was teaching a low ability Year 12 class for their Higher School Certificate (A Levels, I think you call it in the UK). It's the final year of school and preparation for work, technical college or university - depending on results. This low ability class was never going to be equipped for such an academic hurdle but the school encourages them to 'stay on' to 'get an education'. OK, if we HAVE to!!

    This day they were doing a school-based assessment task to contribute to their overall marks, the final exam representing only 50%. (No wonder Australia is behind Kazakhstan in performance results!!). The same boy is the subject of the anecdotes.

    The written task had started; it was 9.30am. Suddenly a male student from the class appears at the door... "Nathan, why are you late; the task has already started". He was covered from head to toe in black grease and he reeked of diesel fumes. I couldn't help laughing...."well, what's the story?".

    "Sorry miss, I had to strip me mate's engine this mornin' before I came to school".
    "Well, go and clean off some of that grease because the smell is distracting everybody; at least wash your hands".

    Came time to mark the assessment task for the same student (a nice fellow, just not very bright). It was a question about a play we'd been studying. The students had to answer questions on the text and then provide one visual representation (again, think Kazakhstan!) of some of the key ideas in the play. For example, if it was Hamlet the students could draw a sword and a crown - something like that. The play was Michael Gow's "Away". I turned to the last page of the task and there was a pencilled square on the page, the size of a postage stamp, with 2 stick figures drawn next to each other: the caption underneath those figures was very revealing:

    "Roy shouts at Coral because she's a bloody idiot"!! (I was surprised he'd remembered the names of the characters!)

    Never a dull moment in the teaching of English.

  10. #1823
    Senior Member Jacck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    4,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Tower of London’s ravens are missing tourists and fleeing in search of food
    https://www.tatler.com/article/tower...due-to-boredom

  11. #1824
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacck View Post
    The Tower of London’s ravens are missing tourists and fleeing in search of food
    https://www.tatler.com/article/tower...due-to-boredom
    "The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan under my battlements". (Macbeth)

  12. #1825
    Senior Member Jacck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    4,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Tower of London’s seven ravens are named Jubilee, Harris, Gripp, Rocky, Erin, Poppy and Merlina. The ravens are fed twice a day by the Ravenmaster and dine on a special diet of mice, chicks, rats and assorted raw meats with the occasional treat of biscuits soaked in blood. It is said that the kingdom and the Tower of London will fall if the six resident ravens ever leave the fortress

  13. #1826
    Senior Member Baron Scarpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixFootScowl View Post
    You or I would look something like that too if we had a bad head cold. I saw him on You Tube at the Michigan rally today and he looked his usual healthy self. Even at his first rally after he was sick, he looked perfectly normal.
    His face looked less puffy, which I thought might be an effect of the steroids. He was breathing abnormally upon his return to the white house, but seems to have subsequently recovered. A person in his age group has a ~3% chance of mortality, so he seems to be in the lucky 97%. Having hospital in your house to administer oxygen and a team of 20 doctors must help your chances.
    Last edited by Baron Scarpia; Yesterday at 22:05.
    There are two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington.

  14. #1827
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Scarpia View Post
    His face looked less puffy, which I thought might be an effect of the steroids. He was breathing abnormally upon his return to the white house, but seems to have subsequently recovered. A person in his age group has a ~3% change or mortality, so he seems to be in the lucky 97%. Having hospital in your house to administer oxygen and a team of 20 doctors must help your chances.
    Yes, ask the Queen of England and her (nearly 100 year) old husband!!

Similar Threads

  1. Some Scarlatti sonatas are so intriguingly bizarre!
    By clavichorder in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Aug-20-2014, 19:21
  2. Bizarre Production of Schumann's Genoveva from Zurich on DVD
    By superhorn in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May-03-2014, 20:18
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul-26-2013, 00:13
  4. Bizarre Recordings
    By Huilunsoittaja in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan-29-2013, 10:54
  5. Replies: 40
    Last Post: Apr-25-2012, 05:26

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •