Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Any good Lang Lang recordings out there?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Musicophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Any good Lang Lang recordings out there?

    I just wrote a rather negative comment about Lang Lang on my blog, essentially saying that I never really found a recording by this pianist I liked.

    http://musicophilesblog.com/2015/11/...min-grosvenor/

    Did I miss anything?
    Musicophilesblog.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think there are quite a few million people who might say you are missing something. They are very different artists s why not just relax and enjoy them both. Interesting historically that the same sort of criticisms of Lang Lang were directed at Horowitz, Cziffra et al.
    Last edited by DavidA; Nov-08-2015 at 19:46.

  3. Likes GreenMamba, Pugg, Iean liked this post
  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dislike Lang Lang just as well, but I found your blog entry lacking of any substantial criticism, you basically throw short and abstract remark about each of the scherzi and that's it. So since you ask "did I miss anything?", I'd say, yes, you missed to put some content worthy of well-written and interesting blog about classical music.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Musicophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I dislike Lang Lang just as well, but I found your blog entry lacking of any substantial criticism, you basically throw short and abstract remark about each of the scherzi and that's it. So since you ask "did I miss anything?", I'd say, yes, you missed to put some content worthy of well-written and interesting blog about classical music.
    The informal and very subjective nature of my blog is a matter of conscious personal choice and has so far received both positive feedback and quite some interest. But I obviously understand your point of view.

    In any case I'd be interested in hearing more about why you dislike Lang Lang and what your more substantive criticism would be.
    Musicophilesblog.com

  6. #5
    Senior Member Musicophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I think there are quite a few million people who might say you are missing something. They are very different artists s why not just relax and enjoy them both. Interesting historically that the same sort of criticisms of Lang Lang were directed at Horowitz, Cziffra et al.
    I actually enjoy the fact that Lang Lang has such a huge fan base. The classical music industry needs all the revenue it can get, and any new listener to classical music is a great step forward.

    I'm just curious to understand if there is more to Lang Lang than just the media hype.

    By the way interestingly enough I never really appreciated Cziffra, and am torn on Horowitz (although his 1943 version of Tchaikovsky 1 with Toscanini is absolutely maginficent).
    Musicophilesblog.com

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't own a Bang Bang rec., but in sampling, I liked his recent Mozart release.


  8. #7
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    22,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I like this one - of course, not much competition in the repertoire.

    Attachment 77424
    I treat my music like I treat my pets. It’s something to own, care about and curate with attention to detail. From a blog by hjr.

  9. Likes Grizzled Ghost liked this post
  10. #8
    Senior Member StlukesguildOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default



    I quite like this one. Perhaps Lang's over-the-top showmanship was tempered here by the more mature artists.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

    Art is never chaste. It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with
    those not sufficiently prepared. Yes, art is dangerous. Where it is chaste, it is not art.

    Pablo Picasso

  11. #9
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's ironic that people wring their hands in despair at the fact that young people aren't turned on to classical music. Then when someone like Lang Lang comes along - who does communicate with young people if not the establishment - there is untold criticism of him. I read a piece by Lebrecht the other day "Is there nothing Lang Lang won't do on TV?" What was his crime? Apparently playing a floor-laid keyboard with his feet! To a man like Lebrecht that is obviously a big deal! One comment: 'Classical musicians can’t win, can they? They’re either remote and “elitist” or mocked for making appearances like this. At least the general public has some awareness of his existence.'
    Last edited by DavidA; Nov-08-2015 at 20:40.

  12. Likes Iean liked this post
  13. #10
    Senior Member Musicophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I think it's ironic that people wring their hands in despair at the fact that young people aren't turned on to classical music. Then when someone like Lang Lang comes along - who does communicate with young people if not the establishment - there is untold criticism of him. I read a piece by Lebrecht the other day "Is there nothing Lang Lang won't do on TV?" What was his crime? Apparently playing a floor-laid keyboard with his feet! To a man like Lebrecht that is obviously a big deal! One comment: 'Classical musicians can’t win, can they? They’re either remote and “elitist” or mocked for making appearances like this. At least the general public has some awareness of his existence.'
    I actually don't mind Lang Lang's media presence at all. I wouldn't criticize his behavior in any way, I actually think it's a good thing to create awareness!

    I was just more specifically interested, completely indent sent of the media person Lang Lang, if there are any recordings out there that warrant interest independently of the person.
    Musicophilesblog.com

  14. #11
    Senior Member Musicophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    I don't own a Bang Bang rec., but in sampling, I liked his recent Mozart release.

    I tried this but didn't like it very much, but pros let more due to Harnoncourt than Lang Lang. Harnoncourt's recent approach to Mozart (also in the late symphonies) just isn't my cup of tea.
    Musicophilesblog.com

  15. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't mind him but I'd never waste my money on his recordings.

  16. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    River Forest, Il, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you tried the Prokofiev 3/Bartok 2 with Rattle and the BPO? I have several other versions of both works and find this recording at the minimum to be fully competitive.

  17. Likes shadowdancer liked this post
  18. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    What was his crime? Apparently playing a floor-laid keyboard with his feet!
    THAT EXPLAINS WHY IT SOUNDS THAT WAY! I wouldn't mind over the top showmanship if it wasn't so sloppy.
    Last edited by bigshot; Nov-09-2015 at 00:18.

  19. #15
    Senior Member Headphone Hermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I think there are quite a few million people who might say you are missing something. They are very different artists s why not just relax and enjoy them both. Interesting historically that the same sort of criticisms of Lang Lang were directed at Horowitz, Cziffra et al.
    OK - we all know that he has a lot of fans, but which LL recordings do YOU actually think are 'good'?

    ps - its a genuine question!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Berlioz, 1856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 103
    Last Post: Apr-22-2015, 04:34
  2. Listening Wars: Mendelssohn Piano Concerto no. 1: Lang Lang/Pletnev/Perahia
    By dantejones in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Feb-20-2015, 18:00
  3. Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No2, Paganini Rhapsody / Lang Lang
    By Doro in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb-24-2009, 17:04

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •