Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 105 of 105

Thread: Looking to buy a 'Rite of Spring'...but which one?

  1. #91
    Senior Member Brahmsianhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I guess I’m alone in my lack of admiration for Ozawa/CSO. I found it well-played and recorded but dull.

  2. #92
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I just got this CD of Stravinsky himself conducting (same but with a different cover) from Amazon:

    Attachment 135377

    The sound's not that great, but I liked the performance. I think I actually liked the interpretation better than Stravinsky's later stereo recording. Very interesting.

    The CD is rare. There are very few for sale on the internet. I got mine for ~$32 when the other two I saw went for ~$120 and ~$180! Of course now that I bought it, there is now one new listing from a different seller on Amazon selling it for ~$8! If you want to get the CD for a price you can't beat (maybe your only chance to get it at such a low price), go quickly!

    -> https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-in.../dp/B000027SPV

    Hopefully the seller put it in the right spot, and it's not a trick or something. If anyone gets it, let me know what you think of it.
    Last edited by adriesba; May-07-2020 at 04:17.

  3. #93
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Is it just me, or does Monteux's recording with the Paris Conservatoire sound muffled?

    I had a hard time hearing certain frequencies when listening to it. Sometimes the percussion was barely audible, and the low frequencies seemed toned down, almost like someone turned the bass down on an equalizer. I just feel like other recordings from that time just don't sound like that. I'm wondering if Monteux's interpretation has anything to do with the strange sounds.

    Why is the vinyl on RCA, but the CD is on Decca?

  4. #94
    Senior Member NLAdriaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriesba View Post
    Is it just me, or does Monteux's recording with the Paris Conservatoire sound muffled?

    I had a hard time hearing certain frequencies when listening to it. Sometimes the percussion was barely audible, and the low frequencies seemed toned down, almost like someone turned the bass down on an equalizer. I just feel like other recordings from that time just don't sound like that. I'm wondering if Monteux's interpretation has anything to do with the strange sounds.

    Why is the vinyl on RCA, but the CD is on Decca?
    Maybe because Decca recorded in Europe for RCA in the sixties and seventies?

  5. Likes adriesba liked this post
  6. #95
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NLAdriaan View Post
    Maybe because Decca recorded in Europe for RCA in the sixties and seventies?
    What about the 50s? The recording is from 1956.

  7. #96
    Senior Member NLAdriaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know when it started exactly, but probably already in the fifties

  8. Likes adriesba liked this post
  9. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriesba View Post
    What about the 50s? The recording is from 1956.
    Yes, Decca made some recordings forc RCA in the 50s....Reiner made recordings with VPO in 1956, recorded by Decca, but released by RCA... these have been released on cd by London/Decca.
    Same with some of the Monteux/LSO recordings from late 50s, early 60s.

  10. Likes adriesba liked this post
  11. #98
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    OK, that makes sense. I was so confused, lol.
    I would sort of expect a little better sound for being recorded by Decca though. Maybe my expectations for the sound quality were too high.
    It just sounded like some parts of the orchestra were right there, while other parts sounded like they were behind a wall.

  12. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriesba View Post
    OK, that makes sense. I was so confused, lol.
    I would sort of expect a little better sound for being recorded by Decca though. Maybe my expectations for the sound quality were too high.
    Hmm...those Decca recordings from the 50s - the VPO, LSO ones, - had pretty good sound... was that Monteux/Paris Sacre a Decca engineered recording?? or was it RCA all the way thru??

  13. Likes adriesba liked this post
  14. #100
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heck148 View Post
    Hmm...those Decca recordings from the 50s - the VPO, LSO ones, - had pretty good sound... was that Monteux/Paris Sacre a Decca engineered recording?? or was it RCA all the way thru??
    I'm not sure. I looked at pictures of the case of the original vinyl, but I don't see anything about Decca on it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Ri.../dp/B000KKCY2C

    Were there contractual reasons for Decca to acquire the recording perhaps?

  15. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriesba View Post
    I'm not sure. I looked at pictures of the case of the original vinyl, but I don't see anything about Decca on it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Ri.../dp/B000KKCY2C

    Were there contractual reasons for Decca to acquire the recording perhaps?
    I forget the exact arrangement, John Culshaw, of Decca, described it in "Ring Resounding", iirc...RCA apparently contracted Decca's on-site recording teams to make the actual recordings, but RCA held the sales and distribution rights....when that arrangement expired, I guess Decca was free to distribute them...(I might not have that exactly right)

  16. Likes adriesba liked this post
  17. #102
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heck148 View Post
    I forget the exact arrangement, John Culshaw, of Decca, described it in "Ring Resounding", iirc...RCA apparently contracted Decca's on-site recording teams to make the actual recordings, but RCA held the sales and distribution rights....when that arrangement expired, I guess Decca was free to distribute them...(I might not have that exactly right)
    I don't know. I have that book. I'll have to look in it to see what it says. The recording just didn't sound like a Decca recording to me.

  18. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriesba View Post
    I don't know. I have that book. I'll have to look in it to see what it says. The recording just didn't sound like a Decca recording to me.
    Probably not Decca...

  19. Likes adriesba liked this post
  20. #104
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heck148 View Post
    Probably not Decca...
    Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me (I'd have to listen and check), but I somewhat think it sounded kind of like the Reiner Also Sprach Zarathustra on RCA which was from around the same time.

  21. #105
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Well, I looked in Ring Resounding. It didn't say a whole lot, but on page 118 it mentions a "Decca/RCA relationship", saying that Decca distributed RCA recordings in some countries including the UK. According to Wikipedia, the companies broke ties in 1969:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decca_Records

    It could be that Decca retained distribution rights even after that and thus released CDs of the recording.

    As far as sound quality goes, I'm starting to think it may be more due to age of the recording than the company that recorded it. The 1957 Ansermet recording, which I'm pretty sure was actually recorded by Decca, doesn't have the greatest sound either. I can't remember where, but I think I read that the Monteux recording with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra was the first stereo recording of the piece.

    I do wish the recording had better sound though. I really enjoyed the interpretation. I heard things that sounded different from what I've heard in other recordings (maybe it's just the sound quality), and the performance was lively. I wonder if that is similar to how Monteux conducted it at the premiere.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Similar Threads

  1. Question about The Rite of Spring
    By Argus in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Dec-07-2014, 23:00
  2. Rite of Spring still amazing
    By katdad in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Aug-13-2013, 17:04
  3. The Rite of Spring Turns 100
    By timothyjuddviolin in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May-30-2013, 08:09
  4. Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
    By bassClef in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan-31-2012, 00:10
  5. The Rite Of Spring
    By anephric in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb-07-2009, 00:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •