Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 246

Thread: Memories of vinyl

  1. #61
    Traverso
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Out of curiosity, I've often been interested in reading evidence (published article) one might have for one over the other. Both sides can be convincing with objective and/or subjective remarks. A recent reading...

    http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cd...-vinyl-5352162

    At one time I had and liked both (LPs and CDs) with good playback machinery. I noted instances of better recordings for both. I felt LP easily held its way against some atrocious CD transfers/remasterings of the 1980's.

    As the decades wore (with, thankfully, good hearing), I became increasingly confident of the quality of CD recordings. Subsequently, my CD collection soon dwarfed the LPs. Not long ago, a decision was made to dispose of the tt and LPs. Listening time for LPs had decreased to an impractical, only nostalgic amount.

    I appreciated my time with LPs, but do not miss.
    Did you bury them in the garden.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Yeah, I'll stay out of this thread, tbh.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneyes View Post
    Out of curiosity, I've often been interested in reading evidence (published article) one might have for one over the other. Both sides can be convincing with objective and/or subjective remarks. A recent reading...

    I don't have any links of published articles, but read up on sampling bit depth and sampling rates and what effect all that has on the reproduced sound. The digital sampling does not capture all of the overtones, but it does drop the transient white noise that was always to some degree present in analog recording.

    the more you listen to digital music, the more your ears get "used" to not hearing the full overtone series of natural sound

    like I said, I don't read articles. I'm just a musician who worked in recording studios when I was a young lion

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl View Post
    Yeah, I'll stay out of this thread, tbh.
    I'll remember that

  5. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  6. #65
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    CD quality sound reproduces all of the frequencies that human beings can hear perfectly... the notes, the tones, the overtones. There are people who claim they can hear super audible frequencies in music, but in blind tests they aren't able to do it any more. If someone could consistently identify the difference, there would be an army of scientists wanting to study their hearing, because normal human ears just can't discern that.

    I have over 10,000 records. I collect them for the music on them that isn't available on CD. When it comes to sound quality, if all things are done properly, it doesn't matter. A good LP that has no surface noise sounds good. (The big exception is multichannel. Vinyl sucks at that.) But it's much easier to make a CD that sounds good, and CDs are MUCH more convenient than LPs. I'm not married to any one format. I care about music. Whatever stores and retrieves my high fidelity music most efficiently is the format I prefer. Right now I much prefer my media server with files to any physical media.
    Last edited by bigshot; Nov-07-2016 at 20:35.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  7. Likes Merl, gopack87 liked this post
  8. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    CD quality sound reproduces all of the frequencies that human beings can hear perfectly... the notes, the tones, the overtones. There are people who claim they can hear super audible frequencies in music, but in blind tests they aren't able to do it any more. If someone could consistently identify the difference, there would be an army of scientists wanting to study their hearing, because normal human ears just can't discern that.
    better send them my way then, I'll be happy to straiten them out

    I say if you can't tell the difference, its time to put down the iTunes and go listen to some live players

  9. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  10. #67
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Contact the Audio Engineering Society (AES). If you can discern typical super audible frequencies in music, they would be very interested. Not just because of the frequencies themselves, but the fact that overtones are buried down in the sound at a very low volume level and are subject to auditory masking. I'm sure they would be interested if your hearing is able to detect inaudible frequencies, detect super low level sound and not be subject to auditory masking.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  11. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    Contact the Audio Engineering Society (AES). If you can discern typical super audible frequencies in music, they would be very interested. Not just because of the frequencies themselves, but the fact that overtones are buried down in the sound at a very low volume level and are subject to auditory masking. I'm sure they would be interested if your hearing is able to detect inaudible frequencies, detect super low level sound and not be subject to auditory masking.
    this is sort of a silly argument.

    I can tell the difference between a live player, my vinyl records and a digital recording. The analog sound is richer. Other people say they can also hear the same thing.

    so I am going to continue to say that I can tell the difference. You can cite any authority you want because the fact is I have ears and I know what I hear. I am on my own authority and there is no way to settle it over the internet, where everything is digital.

    but if you want to make a case for CDs and digital recording, go ahead and make the case.

    you are free to call me a liar if that is what you want to do, but I know what I hear. I grew up on the bandstand playing jazz as a kid playing with old guys from the bebop era. I have worked as a sound engineer and I actually have pretty developed ears. I am not a normal human, so you are right there. all that said, I can tell.

  12. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  13. #69
    Traverso
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
    this is sort of a silly argument.

    I can tell the difference between a live player, my vinyl records and a digital recording. The analog sound is richer. Other people say they can also hear the same thing.

    so I am going to continue to say that I can tell the difference. You can cite any authority you want because the fact is I have ears and I know what I hear. I am on my own authority and there is no way to settle it over the internet, where everything is digital.

    but if you want to make a case for CDs and digital recording, go ahead and make the case.

    you are free to call me a liar if that is what you want to do, but I know what I hear. I grew up on the bandstand playing jazz as a kid playing with old guys from the bebop era. I have worked as a sound engineer and I actually have pretty developed ears. I am not a normal human, so you are right there. all that said, I can tell.
    In the post of Bigshot you find three links,please read and watch them.

  14. Likes bigshot liked this post
  15. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ok guys...

    I know what I hear and I know the difference.

    I don't need the internet to tell me what I hear and what I don't hear

    just forget about it. If you can't tell the difference, then what's the point of talking about it

  16. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  17. #71
    Traverso
    Guest

    Default

    Enjoy your music thats the important thing.

  18. Likes Vaneyes, Pugg liked this post
  19. #72
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,478
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I still have plenty of classical vinyl (and even more rock) that I have been selling off over the past few years. I can no longer bear the pain of scratchy, poppy vinyl that needs consistently turning over. Nearly all my music is on cd and digital files now. Most of my rock stuff is mp3 and the classical is Lossless. I dont intend that to change.

    PS If anyone wants a list of what classical stuff I have left just send me a PM. Quite happy to sell it at a fair price to music lovers.
    Last edited by Merl; Nov-07-2016 at 22:04.

  20. #73
    Senior Member joen_cph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cph, Denmark
    Posts
    5,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It seems that major seller like Presto Classical currently has a selection of around 280 different classical / ~classical LP titles, and JPC.de an impressive 880 titles. Very different from the situation a few years ago.

    Danish Pladeklassikeren, a stubborn fighter for vinyl ever since the arrival of the CD, seems to have 548 titles in store, plus many more second-hand of course.
    Last edited by joen_cph; Nov-07-2016 at 23:47. Reason: typo

  21. #74
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
    I can tell the difference between a live player, my vinyl records and a digital recording. The analog sound is richer.
    I don't think you could tell the difference between an LP and a CD rip of the same LP. Live Player > CD > LP
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  22. #75
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    5,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    I don't think you could tell the difference between an LP and a CD rip of the same LP. Live Player > CD > LP
    Big shot it all depends on the equipment used and condition/ quality of the recordings both for CD and Vinyl- its as simple as that.
    A Linn well setup with a good LP will blow most CD players out of the water simple. A good quality CD transport will sounds good in the right setup QED.
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Memories
    By Becca in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May-05-2015, 14:31
  2. Memories of music
    By ComposerOfAvantGarde in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Dec-04-2014, 07:55
  3. Tan Dun - Eight Memories in Watercolour
    By sonnenuntergangstunde in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep-08-2013, 23:22
  4. Beethoven's Late Quartets on VINYL! Only VINYL! Need help...
    By GrosseFugue in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr-27-2013, 03:29
  5. As I embark on a Beethovenian journey, what are your memories?
    By ComposerOfAvantGarde in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb-20-2013, 23:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •