Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

  1. #1
    Junior Member WalterJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

    I came here a while back looking to start the Violin and got waylaid by a logical statement by my wife that was if you want to play music, why not play your guitar again. So I did, then I finally got permission to play the violin and after this post I realized how much work it would be, not that I thought it would be easy but I just did not take into account how much time it took in reference to how much time I do not have in my day. So I once again focused on the guitar but I was finding, much like years ago, no matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise, I even tried that in this post I just couldn’t get myself back to playing classical, I was just not enjoying playing. And I was telling myself that I needed to practice first before I did anything else and all that did was stop me from playing anything at all. I was at best mediocre on classical guitar many years ago and I was not even that good now and I just had no desire to work that hard for mediocrity.

    I then thought about this post and I went out and bought that recorder (finally) and a book on how to play and started messing around with it and I have to say I rather like it. I am actually enjoying learning it, I am horrible, but I like it. And surprisingly I am back at playing the steel string guitar and working on stuff I use to play and on the standard steel string I was above average, not great, but not bad and although I need work its fun to play again. It isn’t classical but I like it (Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Jethro Tull, Rush, etc.) Heck I even picked my Mandolin up again and started playing it.

    Thanks to all for putting up with me and my questions and I apologize if I wasted anyone’s time.

  2. Likes Crystal liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Ciel_Rouge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Szczecin, Poland
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi WalterJ,

    Good to hear from you again. I guess playing an instrument that you are comfortable with opened up a whole new part of you which is actually enjoying all instruments and finding their true nature, it might have also boosted your musicality etc. I also have some inclinations to try violin when looking at the best players in the world and how much fun it is for them and how easy it seems. I guess the best way with that is to actually try an instrument when you have opportunity, not even buying it but simply giving it a try when you find one at a store with old things or asking a musician to let you try.

    Regarding the guitar, I also did not enjoy it much initially (and I mean listening and not even playing) but I radically changed my mind after getting into Spanish music. Check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKwMsvhY-c

    There are also wild combinations like duets with a sitar:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zReP1...eature=related

    And how about a theorbo:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm2ZI...eature=related

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorbo

    Regarding the recorder, it is best in its simplicity and in the fact that it is so inexpensive and easily available, not only for purchasing but for pulling it out of your pocket and starting to play whenever you like without worrying about transport or that you might break it. It is however not that easy to play on due to the breath control required. It is easy to sound terrible by overblowing or not blowing strong enough - after you find the power that is right for you and the instrument, you may start sounding MUCH better.

    And you could also consider trying other instruments. Not buying them, not taking a course in them, just trying them, preferrably with a musician who can give you some tips. I recently played with the idea of learning how to play a piano. All I did was trying some free software that imitates the piano (actually, it is also possible to purchase more advanced software that closely imitates the sound of famous pianos like the Bosendorfer or Steinway etc.). I also watched a couple of piano tutorials on YouTube. I did not go any further, but you could You would not have to purchase a huge piano, just some advanced software that allows you to play the piano using your computer keyboard or maybe some kind of a simple keyboard that you could plug into your computer. Have fun whatever you do and please report back how things unfold

  4. #3
    Andante
    Guest

    Default

    Walter, I am just going to mention one instrument that is easy to start on and means you will be playing simple stuff quite early on it is great for both Jazz and Classical but gets harder as you progress from one grade to the next. Clarinet. give it a try

  5. #4
    Junior Member WalterJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel_Rouge View Post
    Hi WalterJ,

    Good to hear from you again. I guess playing an instrument that you are comfortable with opened up a whole new part of you which is actually enjoying all instruments and finding their true nature, it might have also boosted your musicality etc. I also have some inclinations to try violin when looking at the best players in the world and how much fun it is for them and how easy it seems. I guess the best way with that is to actually try an instrument when you have opportunity, not even buying it but simply giving it a try when you find one at a store with old things or asking a musician to let you try.

    Regarding the guitar, I also did not enjoy it much initially (and I mean listening and not even playing) but I radically changed my mind after getting into Spanish music. Check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKwMsvhY-c

    There are also wild combinations like duets with a sitar:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zReP1...eature=related

    And how about a theorbo:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm2ZI...eature=related

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorbo
    Thanks for responding to this post and I will check those out tonight when I get home, I can’t check them in my office at the moment.

    I do enjoy playing the guitar again, just not classical but I do really enjoy listening to good classical guitar. It was a recording of Segovia that got me to buy my classical in the first place and I can sit and listen to Fernando Sor all day long and I really wish I could play the way he did or at least the way the people are that are playing his music but I am apparently either not meant to play them or I just don’t have the drive to practice as much as I would need to so I could play them. More likely the latter

    But I am open to other styles of playing so I will check out the Spanish music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel_Rouge View Post
    Regarding the recorder, it is best in its simplicity and in the fact that it is so inexpensive and easily available, not only for purchasing but for pulling it out of your pocket and starting to play whenever you like without worrying about transport or that you might break it. It is however not that easy to play on due to the breath control required. It is easy to sound terrible by overblowing or not blowing strong enough - after you find the power that is right for you and the instrument, you may start sounding MUCH better.
    I suspected that part of my problem was too much air and/or not enough. I plan on getting through the book I have and then deciding how I sound and what to do next. And then maybe look for someone with more experience than I to teach me what I need to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel_Rouge View Post
    And you could also consider trying other instruments. Not buying them, not taking a course in them, just trying them, preferrably with a musician who can give you some tips. I recently played with the idea of learning how to play a piano. All I did was trying some free software that imitates the piano (actually, it is also possible to purchase more advanced software that closely imitates the sound of famous pianos like the Bosendorfer or Steinway etc.). I also watched a couple of piano tutorials on YouTube. I did not go any further, but you could You would not have to purchase a huge piano, just some advanced software that allows you to play the piano using your computer keyboard or maybe some kind of a simple keyboard that you could plug into your computer. Have fun whatever you do and please report back how things unfold
    I actually have a piano in my house as well as an organ but at this point I am not going to work with those. I am going to work with my guitar for the fun of it as well as my mandolin and work on the recorder to see where that takes me. I was thinking that if I continue with the recorder I might just try the flute next but I am in no rush… for a change.

    Thanks

  6. #5
    Junior Member WalterJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andante View Post
    Walter, I am just going to mention one instrument that is easy to start on and means you will be playing simple stuff quite early on it is great for both Jazz and Classical but gets harder as you progress from one grade to the next. Clarinet. give it a try
    You know I had not thought of the Clarinet at all. But I do like the sound of it in some Gershwin tunes. It is definitely something to think about later on down the road.

    Thanks

  7. #6
    Junior Member WalterJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well I am pretty sure no one remembers me but I just wanted to update this and say a VERY Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I am now playing an instrument that I never thought about, it just kind of jumped me and it is extremely non-classical.

    I am playing, and enjoying... the didgeridoo... believe it or not. And what I was even more surprised at was I found a teacher in the North East USA and did not have to travel to Australia to learn it

    Just wanted to pop back in to thank all those that help me previously on the site and answered my copious, and I am sure at times, annoying questions.

    Walter
    Last edited by WalterJ; Jul-11-2009 at 16:28.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Ciel_Rouge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Szczecin, Poland
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh I didn't expect THAT I guess you warmed up to woodwinds in general and went a step further from there. But isn't a didgeridoo even more of a problem with spouses than a violin? Please tell as some details how it is going. I know of one notable didgeridoo artist, namely Christopher of the Wolves.

  9. #8
    Junior Member WalterJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually I was looking into woodwinds and my wife was not happy about the price and was still pushing the guitar and I was trying but I just don’t seem to enjoy playing it all that much anymore no matter what styles I try and play.

    Then I stumbled on a didgeridoo website and found that I could make one out of a 3 foot length of PVC and I could make the mouth piece out of bees wax and I did it. I like it and if I take the lessons and still like it I can get and pretty good synthetic Didgeridoo for about 80 bucks and a real good one in wood goes for about a max of $400. Of course they can get considerably more expensive but $400 gets you a real good one.

    And, so far, she does not seem to mind. Also a recent study by the British Medical Journal helped too. Apparetly playing the didgeridoo helps reduce snoring (which I do) and if it will cut down on that she is all for it

    Hey every little bit helps

Similar Threads

  1. Easy Listeners Forum
    By James in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec-06-2016, 13:43
  2. Announcements Forum
    By James in forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep-20-2008, 12:33
  3. What happened to the site yesterday....
    By Frederik Magle in forum Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr-08-2006, 12:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •