Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: La Favorite Donizetti. CD recomendations please.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Belowpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default La Favorite Donizetti. CD recomendations please.

    As I posted on the review thread I recently had the pleasure of seeing this, the original French version of what became.



    (Thank you Sospiro)


    But I thought it sounded very fresh in French and I'd like to acquire a set. At some point I hope to add the above for a little compare and contrast.

    Any suggestions?


    (Sadly I'm addicted to 1950's sound onwards)
    Last edited by Belowpar; Mar-29-2016 at 21:11.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    38,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belowpar View Post
    As I posted on the review thread I recently had the pleasure of seeing this, the original French version of what became.



    (Thank you Sospiro)


    But I thought it sounded very fresh in French and I'd like to acquire a set. At some point I hope to add the above for a little compare and contrast.

    Any suggestions?


    (Sadly I'm addicted to 1950's sound onwards)
    You have the best one!
    Look no further, I am a bit bias though about Cossotto, world greatest mezzo

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/2...ti-La-Favorita

  3. #3
    Senior Member Belowpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    You have the best one!
    Look no further, I am a bit bias though about Cossotto, world greatest mezzo

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/2...ti-La-Favorita

    Thank you but looking for french version of the Opera and there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice.


    http://www.operadis-opera-discograph...k/CLDOFAVO.HTM


    The one thats most easily availble has a pretty international cast and I only know Michaels-Moore of the principles?

    Vesselina Kasarova (Léonore de Guzman), Ramon Vargas (Fernand), Anthony Michaels-Moore (Alphonse), Carlo Colombara (Balthazar), Abby Furmansky (Inès), Francesco Piccoli (Don Gaspard), Lorenz Fehenberger II (Un seigneur)

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCA/88875194762

  4. Likes Pugg liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    38,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belowpar View Post
    Thank you but looking for french version of the Opera and there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice.


    http://www.operadis-opera-discograph...k/CLDOFAVO.HTM


    The one thats most easily availble has a pretty international cast and I only know Michaels-Moore of the principles?

    Vesselina Kasarova (Léonore de Guzman), Ramon Vargas (Fernand), Anthony Michaels-Moore (Alphonse), Carlo Colombara (Balthazar), Abby Furmansky (Inès), Francesco Piccoli (Don Gaspard), Lorenz Fehenberger II (Un seigneur)

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCA/88875194762
    This is is strange, I just wanted to update my post: https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical...bum_id=1735604

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    4,369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This opera has always been much popular in Italian, than in French, since the mid-19th century onwards. This is funny, as the Italian version is probably weaker, and Donizetti was barely involved in it. But that's life.

    The French version, that was never very much performed outside of France, or even in France itself, has received more attention in the last few decades. I remember some spectacular performances at Teatro Real, with Dolora Zajick singing Leonore. You can take a look at her singing the role, but at Barcelona's Liceu, in this youtube (image is low quality, but audio is more or less ok). It's a nice performance.


  7. Likes Figleaf liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Donizetti on CD
    By Aramis in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: Nov-16-2018, 07:24
  2. Bellini or Donizetti?
    By Itullian in forum Opera
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Aug-24-2018, 22:22
  3. Fidelio CD recomendations?
    By ZombieBeethoven in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: Nov-16-2017, 06:45
  4. Donizetti on DVD and Blu-ray
    By jhar26 in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: Feb-07-2015, 17:52
  5. Recomendations !!!
    By zekyjr in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec-22-2010, 04:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •