Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Best Visual Scenic Ballet Performances

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Best Visual Scenic Ballet Performances

    Looking for a Beautiful, Surprising Visual Ballet Performances.
    ( Scenery, sets and costumes ) as posible available in youtube or vimeo... online
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bolshoi...





    and Mariinsky...




  3. Likes hombre777 liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member QuietGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Prokofiev - The Stone Flower (Kirov): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCkkPhlqBc

  5. Likes Zhdanov liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for post,

    This is from Paris Opéra Ballet


    Sherezade (Kirov) - Svetlana Zakharova - Farukh Ruzimatov

  7. #5
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Frederick Ashton's La Fille Mal Garde done for the Royal Ballet but a number of companies dance it and there are segments on YouTube

    Attachment 83362

    Attachment 83363

  8. Likes hombre777 liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I recently discovered this one;

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/B...ssiques/BAC062





    Breathtaking

  10. Likes hombre777 liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Zhdanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    moscow, russia.
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuietGuy View Post
    Prokofiev - The Stone Flower (Kirov): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCkkPhlqBc
    it's one of the most advanced choreography, along with Spartacus and Ivan The Terrible, to date, staged by Yuri Grigorovitch, the best ballet master ever since the legendary Marius Petipa.

  12. Likes QuietGuy liked this post
  13. #8
    Senior Member Cosmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il, USA
    Posts
    1,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anything that was choreographed by Pina Bausch

  14. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hard to beat Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Spectacular costumes and choreography.

    Highlight: the fight scene with swords. Spectacular!
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  15. Likes clara s, hombre777, znapschatz liked this post
  16. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    Hard to beat Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Spectacular costumes and choreography.

    Highlight: the fight scene with swords. Spectacular!
    2 years ago I attended a performance of Romeo and Juliet,
    where a quite famous fashion designer of my country
    made the costumes

    well, that was art and spectacle

  17. Likes hpowders liked this post
  18. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clara s View Post
    2 years ago I attended a performance of Romeo and Juliet,
    where a quite famous fashion designer of my country
    made the costumes

    well, that was art and spectacle
    I've seen it twice, live, with American Ballet Theater. You really get your money's worth. It is rather long, but the beautiful music and inspired immortal story sweep you away. I love the love scene-such sweeping beautiful dancing and magnificent music.
    Everyone, I imagine would wish that love could be like that!
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  19. #12
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
    I've seen it twice, live, with American Ballet Theater. You really get your money's worth. It is rather long, but the beautiful music and inspired immortal story sweep you away. I love the love scene-such sweeping beautiful dancing and magnificent music.
    Everyone, I imagine would wish that love could be like that!
    ABT does the Kenneth MacMillan choreography done originally for the Royal Ballet, and which is probably the best known outside of Russia. However that is not the only version which can be seen. There are also about 10 other choreographic versions by John Cranko, Peter Martins, Yuri Grigorovich, Alexei Ratmansky and others. Although not as well known as the MacMillan, there is also one done by Frederick Ashton for the Royal Danish Ballet which, despite him having been a Royal Ballet director, has never been danced by the them.

  20. Likes hpowders liked this post
  21. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    ABT does the Kenneth MacMillan choreography done originally for the Royal Ballet, and which is probably the best known outside of Russia. However that is not the only version which can be seen. There are also about 10 other choreographic versions by John Cranko, Peter Martins, Yuri Grigorovich, Alexei Ratmansky and others. Although not as well known as the MacMillan, there is also one done by Frederick Ashton for the Royal Danish Ballet which, despite him having been a Royal Ballet director, has never been danced by the them.
    I would love to see them all!! The ABT was spectacular!! They performed it at the Met. And a welcome fringe benefit was, no "sea of kids" being restless and difficult as with Nutcracker.

    Of course, I have many recordings of the music alone, from nice excerpts CD with Solti and also Abbado, and complete versions by Previn and Maazel.
    Last edited by hpowders; Apr-09-2016 at 13:11.
    Facts don't care about your feelings.

  22. #14
    Senior Member Zhdanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    moscow, russia.
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Anything that was choreographed by Pina Bausch
    why not Michael Jackson then?

  23. #15
    Senior Member Marsilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bristol, UK.
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For scenery, sets and costumes - the criteria specifically cited by the OP - I'd suggest the La Scala production of Raymonda. It's available on YouTube.

  24. Likes Huilunsoittaja liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Attending ballet performances
    By Marsilius in forum Ballet
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: Feb-17-2020, 13:49
  2. Visual puns
    By Dim7 in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: Mar-19-2016, 11:50
  3. Replies: 65
    Last Post: Feb-24-2015, 08:00
  4. Visual art to pair with a Requiem?
    By macgeek2005 in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar-24-2013, 18:33
  5. Visual music
    By kitaro in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-31-2012, 00:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •