Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 352

Thread: Your Bach Cello Suites recordings

  1. #151
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    23,727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    You might want to sample Ma via Spotify or other streaming service, if you can. He plays immaculately and is beautifully recorded, but after listening to Casals (not to mention the dozens of recordings made over the past five decades), Ma is dull as dishwater.
    I don't find either Ma set to be dull. However, it is a wise move to sample any recording one is considering.

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    7,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll put in a recommendation for Zuill Bailey's recordings - energetic and fresh yet big-boned. His are possibly my favorite recordings of the suites, though I haven't heard them all. FWIW, I'm not a fan of Ma's recordings. His phrasing seems too erratic to me.
    Last edited by kyjo; May-29-2018 at 03:29.

  3. Likes laurie liked this post
  4. #153
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyjo View Post
    I'll put in a recommendation for Zuill Bailey's recordings - energetic and fresh yet big-boned. His are possibly my favorite recordings of the suites, though I haven't heard them all. FWIW, I'm not a fan of Ma's recordings. His phrasing seems too erratic to me.
    I really like Bailey's recording of the Cello Suites. Lots of power, passion and superbly recorded but I also love Ma (first recording) for very different reasons (graceful, romantic). Like any work it's nice to have very different styles of performances to suit a specific mood.

  5. Likes kyjo liked this post
  6. #154
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've got Fournier and Casals. Bit of class in both

  7. #155
    Junior Member eternum1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In my opinion, Fournier was the greatest

  8. #156
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yo-Yo Ma is releasing his third, and he says final, recording of the Suites this summer.


    sony19075854652.jpg


    Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites - Yo-Yo Ma (cello) -


    Release Date: 17th Aug 2018
    Catalogue No: 19075854652
    Label: Sony

  9. #157
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have Yo-Yo-Ma first and second Bach cello suites, I much prefer the first, I will skip the third.

  10. #158
    Root
    Guest

    Default

    Jaap van Linden

  11. #159
    Senior Member Baron Scarpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    Yo-Yo Ma is releasing his third, and he says final, recording of the Suites this summer.


    sony19075854652.jpg


    Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites - Yo-Yo Ma (cello) -


    Release Date: 17th Aug 2018
    Catalogue No: 19075854652
    Label: Sony
    6 Evolutions? Just calling it, "six suites for cello unaccompanied" is inadequate, apparently. I find it mildly annoying when performers make it about them, rather than the music, even as a marketing ploy.

    I will be sitting this one out. I have his first traversal (issued when it was still "Columbia"), which is quite nice and I have enough recordings of this set of pieces to last several lifetimes.
    Last edited by Baron Scarpia; Jul-02-2018 at 17:46.

  12. #160
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vahe Sahakian View Post
    I have Yo-Yo-Ma first and second Bach cello suites, I much prefer the first, I will skip the third.
    I've heard both of the earlier traversals. They're very well played, but lack imagination or personality. I'll probably check out the new one via Spotify, but am very unlikely to buy it. I'll take Schiff, Queyras, Wispelwey, Thedeen, Bengtsson, Kirshbaum, and several others over Ma any day.

    BTW, I'll be seeing Colin Carr play all six in a recital in Rockport, Massachusetts next week, and Alisa Weilerstein doing the same at Jordan Hall in the spring, the latter part of the Boston Celebrity Series.

  13. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    BTW, I'll be seeing Colin Carr play all six in a recital in Rockport, Massachusetts next week,
    I hope you'll post your impressions of the concert

  14. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    I've heard both of the earlier traversals. They're very well played, but lack imagination or personality. I'll probably check out the new one via Spotify, but am very unlikely to buy it. I'll take Schiff, Queyras, Wispelwey, Thedeen, Bengtsson, Kirshbaum, and several others over Ma any day.
    Can't disagree about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    BTW, I'll be seeing Colin Carr play all six in a recital in Rockport, Massachusetts next week, and Alisa Weilerstein doing the same at Jordan Hall in the spring, the latter part of the Boston Celebrity Series.

    I think Colin Carr is one of the most interesting performers of these works these days, so I am also curious to hear about the recital.
    Last edited by premont; Jul-02-2018 at 22:45.

  15. #163
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Poor old Yo-Yo, gets little love round these parts.

    I will listen to his new release first before considering a purchase. I have his two earlier recordings and quite like them. There are so many good recordings of this work that it is hard to find a favorite. I do know of several I don't at all care for, some of them are raved about and I won't mention them. My biggest turn off for a recording is the excess noises some of the soloist make while playing. They all make playing noise, that's expected, but some of them are the Glenn Gould's of the cello and distract from the music. Talk about making the music about them! Who knows maybe Bach was a mumbler too.

  16. #164
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Who has this one? (not me) It goes for a premium price if you can find it. Supposedly released on cd at one time. I read about it and thought it was interesting. I had opportunity to listen to most of it. Interesting from a historical perspective but I wouldn't purchase unless it was bargain basement.

    Bach_cello_FR868.jpg

    https://youtu.be/P8j34gAfxW4
    Last edited by Oldhoosierdude; Jul-03-2018 at 20:47.

  17. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhoosierdude View Post
    Who has this one? (not me) It goes for a premium price if you can find it. Supposedly released on cd at one time. I read about it and thought it was interesting. I had opportunity to listen to most of it. Interesting from a historical perspective but I wouldn't purchase unless it was bargain basement.

    Bach_cello_FR868.jpg

    https://youtu.be/P8j34gAfxW4
    Here:

    https://forgottenrecords.com/en/Clement--Bach--717.html

    Yes, incidentally I listened to this a week ago. Interesting from a historical perspective, but not much else.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bach Bruns Cello Suites
    By Ispin in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Dec-25-2019, 19:39
  2. The many varieties of Bach's Cello Suites
    By Earthling in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: May-24-2019, 22:00
  3. Bach Cello Suites
    By timothyjuddviolin in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec-05-2013, 02:20
  4. Which is the best CD of Bach's Cello Suites?
    By SAKO in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Aug-07-2012, 02:19
  5. Bach's Cello suites
    By Oliver in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jul-29-2012, 02:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •