Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Is good singing voice something people born with?

  1. #1
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is good singing voice something people born with?

    Is good singing voice something people born with? or is it something you can develop by exercising and some techniques? I don't believe that every singer was born with good voice, nor that they had taken exercises from a vocal teacher.

    I'm not talking about having beautiful heavenly voice, I just want it to be okay when singing and without dissonance

  2. #2
    Member zhopin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some are naturally talented and may have an easier time being successful, but for the many not born with such talent, they practice. Technique plays a greater role in my opinion.
    Last edited by zhopin; Jun-24-2016 at 23:10.

  3. #3
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Good voice" is a combination of things - some natural, some acquired. Any healthy voice can be trained such it will be considered very good by general public. Voices with potential for a lasting international operatic career are a minority.

  4. Likes Sloe, wkasimer liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radioheader View Post
    Is good singing voice something people born with? or is it something you can develop by exercising and some techniques? I don't believe that every singer was born with good voice, nor that they had taken exercises from a vocal teacher.

    I'm not talking about having beautiful heavenly voice, I just want it to be okay when singing and without dissonance
    Some people are, some not, it's needs years of study and practice, depends on determination and genre I suppose.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radioheader View Post
    Is good singing voice something people born with? or is it something you can develop by exercising and some techniques? I don't believe that every singer was born with good voice, nor that they had taken exercises from a vocal teacher.

    I'm not talking about having beautiful heavenly voice, I just want it to be okay when singing and without dissonance

    Just from my own experience, not from any professional study of the subject, I want to say "Yes, a voice that is very pleasant to listen to is a gift of nature". I heard Victoria de los Angeles being dogmatic about a naturally beautiful voice being an essential basic requirement in a classical singer.

    I know you are not talking about beautiful heavenly voices and (also just from experience) most people with healthy voices and goodish ears can sound nice to listen to if they start early enough (my impression is by early adolescence, by singing in good choirs at school or wherever).

    Now I'll let the experts answer you

  7. Likes hpowders liked this post
  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The physical apparatus (mouth, nose, cheeks, etc) one is born with contributes to the quality of a voice. In the same way that the wood, varnish and construction of one violin sets it apart, some folks are blessed with better "soundboards" than others.

  9. Likes wkasimer liked this post
  10. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've had the good fortune of performing as an instrumentalist with a number of professional singers that were so good, I could practice every day and live to be a million and never touch the sort of tone these people can produce.

    I myself was born with "pipes". I am a trained baritone and I can easily hold my own with a full pipe organ without any amplification. I have a 51" chest and a large skull. It is just the way God made me.

    but I don't have the tone that a professional operatic baritone has and I never will. That doesn't stop me from singing, but when people get all gushy telling me how great I sound, while its always nice to hear, I know better

    so yes, after a lifetime spent among musicians, I have to say the truly great singers are born that way and we mere mortals have to accept that

  11. Likes jenspen, Vox Gabrieli, Larkenfield liked this post
  12. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
    I've had the good fortune of performing as an instrumentalist with a number of professional singers that were so good, I could practice every day and live to be a million and never touch the sort of tone these people can produce.

    I myself was born with "pipes". I am a trained baritone and I can easily hold my own with a full pipe organ without any amplification. I have a 51" chest and a large skull. It is just the way God made me.

    but I don't have the tone that a professional operatic baritone has and I never will. That doesn't stop me from singing, but when people get all gushy telling me how great I sound, while its always nice to hear, I know better

    so yes, after a lifetime spent among musicians, I have to say the truly great singers are born that way and we mere mortals have to accept that
    Just as in real life with everything, however if you work harder .....

  13. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
    Just as in real life with everything, however if you work harder .....
    .....you can discover your timbre.

    http://wcnossen.wixsite.com/wiebepiercnossen/muziek he can sing loud (heard him doing a workshop). Practising, right vocalcoach and dedication.
    Last edited by Adamus; Oct-26-2016 at 21:34.

  14. #10
    Senior Member amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's like anything else in life. With years of dedication and practice, we can all learn to say, "Do you want fries with that?" But only a select, gifted few can make that a moment transcendent beauty.
    Alan

  15. Likes Pugg, jenspen, Vox Gabrieli liked this post
  16. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amfortas View Post
    It's like anything else in life. With years of dedication and practice, we can all learn to say, "Do you want fries with that?" But only a select, gifted few can make that a moment transcendent beauty.
    Amen to this. .......................

  17. Likes amfortas liked this post
  18. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey! I am a 15 year old girl with no vocal training. My range is b2 to f5. I think my vice sounds like a lyric in the fach system.

  19. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey! This is me again! I forgot to ask the most important question- what do you think my vocal fach is?

  20. #14
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I second that on technique. I train singers and see many, including myself grow from technique rather than just god given talent. I can also compare my voice before and after good tecnique and my voice deepended and range expanded just from proper breath support and using the correct embouchure.

  21. Likes wkasimer liked this post
  22. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azizapoggi View Post
    I second that on technique. I train singers and see many, including myself grow from technique rather than just god given talent. I can also compare my voice before and after good tecnique and my voice deepended and range expanded just from proper breath support and using the correct embouchure.
    God given talent are only allowed one a very, very few.
    Determination and lots of hard studying / practice can only help.

  23. Likes wkasimer liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. People's 'ear' for music versus their singing ability
    By Catharsis in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jun-01-2017, 11:55
  2. Angelica singing Bach (rough voice and not Angelika Kirchschlager)
    By sweetviolin in forum Solved Cases (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun-12-2016, 13:24
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Nov-10-2014, 07:03
  4. Developing good singing?
    By bellbottom in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug-17-2013, 12:52
  5. Good voice.... born or trained?
    By jurianbai in forum Vocal Music
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Dec-26-2011, 10:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •